Michael Moore Following the Controversy- now disney exec under fire

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by acidrock, May 6, 2004.

1. acidrock macrumors 6502

Have you guys heard that Disney was going to block Micahel Moore's new fillm? It was because of it's political contro of the Bush Admin before and after the 9/11 attacks. Now it seems something's backfired:

see different articles at

google news

Freedom to filmPublished: May 7 2004 5:00 | Last Updated: May 7 2004 5:00

Michael Eisner must envy the self-promotion skills of Michael Moore. The chief executive of Walt Disney is under fire from shareholders over his stewardship of the company. Now he is suffering from an adept piece of guerrilla marketing by the leftwing documentary maker, who claims Disney is blocking distribution of his new documentary film, Fahrenheit 911.
    Advertisement

The row has conveniently hit the press a few days before Mr Moore's film - which is heavily critical of George W. Bush - is shown at the Cannes Film Festival, where he has been nominated for a Palme D'Or award. Mr Moore, a constant fixture on cinema and television screens and bestseller lists, says "those in charge" are once again trying to silence him. If so, the establishment has clearly lost its touch.

story

2. tveric macrumors 6502

I'm having a hard time understanding the title you chose for the thread. Apparently, it is true that Disney will not allow Moore's film to be distributed under the Miramax label. So why does this mean Moore is "following the controversy"? It's not like he picked Disney out of a hat, they ARE the company that's refusing to distribute his movie!

The real story isn't Michael Moore's promotional skills - we're all aware of those, and after all, a lot of people would never have seen a Michael Moore movie if not for those skills. Better to let the movie speak for itself - everyone has the choice of seeing it or not, and if they see it, can decide for themselves if it's any good. In a free society, that beats the alternative - that a few big companies can decide FOR you if you should see his movie or not. That's the story here - Disney saying "it did not want to be associated with a political polemic in a presidential election year," so that makes it okay to attempt to block his movie? I think that's certainly not in the interest of free public debate.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

*gasp* Michael Moore heavily criticizing Dubya? :eek:

It could never happen :p

4. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

michael moore is the best thing to happen to america since smores :D.

5. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Since when is refusal to help blocking? They aren't preventing the distribution, they just won't do it. It could be because they don't want to touch such a hot potato. it could be they fear legal issues. It could be they lost money on Bowling for Columbine and don't want to repeat the mistake. It could be that the movie sucks. Micheal Moore was told months ago that he would have to go elsewhere to distribute it.

6. 27407 macrumors member

They are specifically blocking Miramax, a Disney subsidiary, from distributing the film. Since Miramax provided most of the financing for the film, it would be financially detrimental for them to have to go out and find another distibutor for north america.

What legal issues are you referring to? Someone will sue them for distributing a documentary that contains opinions that differ with their own?

Bowling for Columbine was financed and distributed by United Artists, and earned 22 million dollars for them.

Yes, because we all know that Disney is the hallmark of art, with standards that other studios could only dream of having.

What does it matter when he was told? The fact remains that large, multinational corporations have too much power over what is, and what isn't, seen in the mainstream media.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

for lack of a better word..... duh!

This is going to be a very controversial film. Not many companies would want to take a stand behind it. It will be seen, cause all sorts of discussion and feed fires (some where they aren't needed).

Personally, I don't think pointing blame at this point is the right approach regarding 911. And Michael Moore likes to show off and gain recognition for pushing the envelope - he's on his own personal quest, but he's using these events, Columbine, 911 for personal gain. To me that's just not right and I don't like his style.

D

8. the future macrumors 6502a

Unlike George W. Bush who in no way used 911 to justify his personal quest vs. Saddam... :rolleyes:

9. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    He is at least generating discussion about delicate subjects. Just because those subjects sensitive doesn't mean we shouldn't ask questions about them. Surely one of the first things that went through your mind on hearing about the Columbine and 911 events was "Why?" So if there is anything that help explain that then surely that's a good thing.

10. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

I don't get how anyone call call his films a documentary. There are SO many fabrications in his movies they ought to be classified as fiction.

11. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Moore has now admitted the whole thing was a stunt, hinging on a big lie, thus prompting the inescapable conclusion that the man is more concerned with money than truth. He has gone from being a burr under the saddle of the powerful to being the @$$ itself.

12. 27407 macrumors member

Care to provide any examples, sources, etc. or is this just mindless trolling?

13. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Miramax == Disney
    Its not like Miramax is the only distributor. Its not like Disney is blocking distributors it doesn't own from distributing it.

There were some segments of Bowling for Columbine that were dramatized and not real. If in the new movie there are segments which are defamatory and untrue they could be held liable for libel. I am certain that Michael Moore would gleefully admit to feeling malice :)

Good for them. I bet they would be glad to distribute this then. I gave it as a supposition.

There is a difference between dropping support a few days before the premiere and saying months before hand "No we won't help." Each of the media conglomerates do have substantial power but there are a few of them. Even if the big boys won't play there are other avenues. Mel Gibson got no major studio support and got a movie in the top 7 grossing ever.

Who really cares about the mainstream media? Fox has gotten to rabid for my tastes and most the rest are too liberal. We truly live in an era that embraces samizdat. Matt Drudge went from a studio apartment in West Hollywood to being a South Beach multimillionaire.

14. socokid macrumors newbie

Pfffft

Mainstream media (corporate led media) is far more sensationalistic than liberal or even conservative. It's all fear mongering crap and it's getting worse. Corporate, inherently agenda driven news, is good for two things: Sports and weather. Nothing else. Well, unless you want to get GW's latest propaganda sound bite of BS, find out who Brittney is dating, or if the hotdog you just ate is going to KILL YOU! that is.

You may call NPR or even the BBC liberal if allowing discussion that may bring to the table negative views about our representatives and their actions as being liberal, but I would much rather at least ACT as if we live in a true democracy and have ALL of the information available to me and then decide for myself, thank you very much! I pick out the BS by being informed, not be shielding myself from the stuff I don't want to hear. That would be counterproductive if your true intention is discovery. To label and discard is simply a means to perpetuate a narrow world view that is simply more comfortable. That is not good.

Mr. Moore's Bowling for Columbine broke several records for a documentary. And this year's Cannes accepted his latest work as only the second documentary to be considered at Cannes. Bowling for C was the first. It was the highest grossing documentary of all time, etc... so to say Disney's decision was political may be a tad on target.

Good luck.

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

uh, I wasn't talking about the subject matter in that way. I just think sensationalizing the whole thing is the wrong approach and Moore is just out to do that so that it makes his wallet heavier.

W will eventually answer for all of this, but the problem in Iraq is so much more now than just W and Saddam.

As for opening this all up to discussion - we've been doing that since 9/11. Sure things could have been handled much better from the very start - but that's all in the past. People need to move on from finger pointing and sensationalizing and start working out the issues. It might be a bit idealistic, but unless we want to see a continuing cycle of violence and stupidity on everyone's part, change needs to be made now.

Moore's film is just going to fan fires that need to be put out, as far as I'm concerned.

D

16. djkny macrumors 6502

Michael Moore is a fool

Michael Moore, the boho, pro-grassroots documentary filmmaker? Yeah, right. Of course he needs distribution. How else can he pay for his co-op fees and baby gap dresses for his daughter on the Upper East Side?

I mean, grassroots --- really. He's so poor that he likes to demand university program boards $8000 for a 30 minute lecture and agree to speak only with properly reserved brunches at the 4 seasons...

There's a reason why ghetto is always ghetto. Once he's got money, he blows up.

17. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Michael Moore is an arrogant ***hole. Not that he doesn't have the right to be, although it's worth pointing out that his accusations about Disney could be considered libel if written, or at the very least, slander. I hope he gets his head handed to him in court if Disney goes after him.

18. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Sorry for the Semi-Rant

It's amazing how often people will attack semantics an word police, completely dancing around the real issue and avoiding the real arguement. I've looked at these sites that claim Mr. Moore is lying or staging scenes and they continualy fail to convice me that there counter argument is material. Moore does have a responsibility to be truthfull, and yes he should practice what he preaches... but shouldn't we all? :eek:

It's funny to see people who value their freedom tell others how to run their lives. :rolleyes:

Bottom line is, if Moore was lying then it's up to these companies / people to sue him (I'm certain the current judicial system in the States has seen weaker cases come to trial).

I think we should be asking ourselves how we feel about the issues he brings forward, and if you agree / disagree, then ask yourself why. If there is questionable material presented in the argument, yes we should highlighted to others, but we need to back it with concrete evidence! However in this era of 'pre-emptive strikes' the burden of proof seems to be a dying concept.

Personaly I'm sick of all these books and movies telling me what's wrong with the world (side note: Does anybody thing the world is 'okey dokey'?), yet I keep reading them. Why? Well I hope we will all eventually sit down and figure out how to fix them, and make the solution work for everybody.

19. socokid macrumors newbie

Moore's film is just going to fan fires that need to be put out, as far as I'm concerned.

I'd rather people be held accountable for their actions, but that's just me. Especially when the "people" in question are the freaking leaders of the free world.

20. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

title response

I choose the title, "Following the Controversy" to show that it was a developing story. They announced a few days ago that Disney would block the production of the film, within a few days it turned into the Disney exec being underfire.

I can see why some of you think Moore took advantage about Columbine and now 9/11, but first of all, I think Columbine (the movie) was more about violance in america. It just happened that Columbine inspired Moore to do the movie. I think the same will be true for the new movie.

21. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

Moore knew in May 2003 that Disney wasn't going to distribute this film... everyone thinks Disney just blocked it, which simply isn't true. they told them OVER A YEAR AGO.

gotta hand it to Moore, he is a master at manipulating the media for promotion. Moore is a hypocrite who cashes in on the suffering of others.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=518901

22. socokid macrumors newbie

Misleading

"The bank scen was staged!"

Um, no it certainly was not. There's even an outtake video proving the above is a lie via a link found here. But, it's one of the many lies being told about this film. Agenda driven? They just like to lie? Who knows, but please read this. It shows most of those Columbine claims are just plain WRONG.

I too have read some of these site's claims, and many of those sites themselves not only have perpetuated literal lies, but point out what amount to be fairly minor instances compared to the true story and questions this film invokes.

And about his new film. If controversy from inept marketing tacticts outweighs it's content and discussion thereof, then we are truly a sad bunch of sheep. I, for one, feel I am capable of watching the film and making up my own mind. Trolling lies doesn't help. Please see my link above.

Good luck.

23. Xacttech macrumors member

Michael more is a history revisionist, I thought everyone new this, his fans or his haters. It's fact. In order to get his points across he sensationalizes fact, or exagerates excessively, on one side. A documentary shouldn't be edited in ways that cut statements or piece together out of context information.

I honestly have no idea how Moore has a fan base. He hasn't done anything to benefit anyone but himself. Him hating bush, or the way the NRA operates doesn't change anything, won't change anything, and just upsets people of both sides.

He can't debate plain and simple. He doesn't have the resources to back his views.

Sean Hannity would eat him for breakfast, as would ANY educated debator, left or right wing.

24. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter