Michael Phelps brings home the Gold with his iPod!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by echeck, Aug 15, 2004.

1. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

As I was sitting at work watching American swimmer Michael Phelps prepare for the 400 Meter Individual Medley, I couldn't help but notice a pair of headphones over his swim cap ... and the iPod in his hand.

According to the Associated Press, Phelps was listening to Eminem's "'Till I Collapse" just before his race. Obviously it helped, as he went on to break his own World Record.

It's been said before, but Apple just can't buy this kind of publicity!

:D

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

good song, but weird al's parody is better. what kind of 'pod?

3. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

ha ha.. I haven't heard Weird Al's parody, but I bet it's hilarious!

It was probably a 3G iPod because I'm pretty sure I got a glimpse of the buttons that have been removed on the 4G's.

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i doubt he has the 4g yet :) go apple i wonder how many other athletes have an ipod

5. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

Well, since I've been completely obsessing over getting one for the last few months (should be here next week!!!!) I've been paying a lot more attention to people I see with headphone/earbuds..etc..

I was watching the US women's diving championships earlier this year and after every dive the diver would get out of the pool, grab their iPod and walk outside to a covered area to pace...concentrate...dry off..etc... but almost every single one of them had an iPod, it was amazing.

But I think the most amazing realization I had in regards to the iPod was when I went to New York City a few months ago. My wife and I spent nearly all six days just walking around Manhattan and I would say 90% of those that were walking around listening to music had iPods, it was just incredible.

Go Apple!

6. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

Pretty much any televised snowboarding event will feature riders rocking out to their iPods...tight.

7. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

it's called "couch potato" on his newest album poodle hat, and it's about tv watching!! i mean, A SONG ABOUT TV!!!

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

why? they've been out for a few weeks now. a bunch of my friends have them, not hard to get a hold of...

and that *is* great publicity for apple- and congrats to michael- here's to many more golds this year! :D

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is absolutely true. Other companies would love that attention. Only problem do other young people notice that he has an iPod. Or is it just us Mac fans?

10. macsrus macrumors 6502

Well there are 3 million IPODS sold now.... So it just isnt MAC users... who have noticed them

11. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Couch Potato is a parody of "Lose Yourself," right? Not "Till I Collapse."

12. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

oops...sorry. got my enimem songs mixed up cause they sound the same...

13. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

I agree with macsrus, the iPod is no longer just something the mac world is aware of. The mp3-player market is growing bigger and bigger every day, and the iPod is the leader of the pack. I know a lot of PC users (those who would never use a mac) that are drooling over the iPod. And why shouldn't they? It's a beautiful thing!

:D

14. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Didn't help him much with the 4X100m relay.

Mike

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Noticed last night on TV during the relay Michael didn't have on the iPod buds. A large headphone setup, although I could have been attached to an iPod. Sadly the team didn't win Gold, lucky just to win bronze. They were fighting against heavy competition.

Sadly now Michael has lost his chance to tie Mark Spitz. Still winning a medal is an honor.

16. CanuckGold_2002 macrumors newbie

....and Ian Thorpe beat him in the 200 free....I'm sorry, I am a huge fan of Aussie swimming - my swim coach was Australian, and half the family lives there.

17. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

Yeah, the large headphones were connected to his iPod...at least I'm assuming so because that's how it was the first time I saw him wearing those headphones. I'm assuming he wants the noise cancelling of the headphones to kill all the cheering/screaming before the meet.

As far as the Thorpedo beating Phelps, that doesn't bother me. I was a huge fan of Thorpe at the Syndey games so I wasn't sure who I was going to root for.

I dunno, putting Phelps up there with Spitz and all the media hype about him breaking Spitz's record, hurt Phelps I think. He had so much to live up to and I'm sure he was trying to beat the record, and it seems when you try too hard on something you end up not doing as well as you could have.

Phelps is still really young, he's got another two olympics coming to him so he's still got quite the future. Of course financially he's already set for life. ;)

18. Bozola macrumors regular

Lance Armstrong warmed up to his ipod
    (It was on another thread)

19. Lz0 macrumors regular

Well I had better say it.

I hope Apple gives him a gold iPod (gold iPod - good idea) because the Aussies will be bringing home all the gold from the pool.

20. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

wait

just the other day you guys were like "ooo i could careless about the olympics" in the community discussion thread. interesting the way thing turn around :rolleyes:

21. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

Don't include me in that statement! ;)

I've always enjoyed the olympics, though apparently not many others are this year. I don't think I've ever seen the stadiums so bare in all my life! I've also heard rumors that some of the venues are actually giving tickets away for free just to fill up seats.

Olympics used to mean a sure-fire way to boost the economy. Hosting the Games surely boosted the economy prior to, but I don't see how Athens could come away from this in the black.

22. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I went on a weekend trip to NYC this May, and we saw so many people with white headphones in Battery Park, we actually started keeping an iPod count. Further uptown we saw at least 20 a day, but downtown was just incredible. It seemed like every other person had one!

23. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

24. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

today my teacher asked me what i was listening to in class and i told her it was an ipod and she told me she was thinking about buying one and i told her how much they were and some stuff about it and she said she was probably gonna buy the mini. i guess that's a little ot but it's about free apple pr :D

25. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

Two more golds!

Well, now that Spitz's record is out of the question it looks as if Phelps is back on track.

I know he's into hip-hop, but I'm still curious as to what songs he listens to before each race...

homerjward, keep tellin your teacher about your iPod until she finally buys one! :D