Michael Phelps

Discussion in 'Community' started by job, Aug 14, 2004.

1. job macrumors 68040

job

I really, really, really want him to pull off at least 7 gold medals. I know it's going to be tough, but can you honestly remember the last time that you knew an Olympic swimmer's name?

Also, I think the Thorpedo is feeling a bit envious with all this attention being given to Phelps. Wasn't a recent quote of his: "It's impossible for me, and it's impossible for anyone else?"

Anyone else looking forward to this phenom swimming?

Oh, and really quick, I'm glad that he's been receiving a lot of attention, but from some of the press it seems he's being set-up a little. Some of the articles I've read insinuate that if he doesn't win 7 gold medals then he's a complete failure. Honestly, if he wins just 1 IMO, he's done everything he needs to,

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I'm about to watch him right now. They just showed a shot of him chillin' with his iPod before his heat. :)

3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

i watched him in the semi final just now....he looked so intense before the race, and almost like he didnt want to jinx himself or come across as too egotistical...nbc had a mike in his face right as he walked out of the water, he was really polite but so distant...i feel bad for him and all that pressure.
    watching the shots of him from under the water were amazing, i had no idea how fluidly he moved.

4. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

I thought I saw one of those....I wonder what is in his playlist.... :cool:

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

If it's the same Michael Phelps, then he comes from the Baltimore, MD area. My brother-in-law said that swimming is quite competitive in that are. He son is also into swimming, had he stayed in the same league, would have competed against Michael. I wish him well, would be nice to see another Mark Spitz.

6. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

I've read he likes rap and hip-hop...he drives a bling'ed out Hummer.

Oh well...to each his own.

He gave his mom a new Mercedes though.

I read most of this stuff in an issue of Time (I'm overseas and this issue is the only thing I have to read right now.)

7. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

It's a hopped up caddy. They just showed it on TV, it actually wasn't that obnoxious and looked good. Remember, he's 19! This is crazy.

BEN

PS 1 down, 6 to go

8. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

He did come off as normal and not obnoxious in the little TV thing about him. They made a point to show his mom(?) and the fight it took for him to get the car.

In other news.. new world record for him. Yay.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

yeah, that's great, world and olympic record - but he's got a long way to go still. Even if he doesn't win again, he's got his gold. Although I'd love to see him win all 8 :D

D

10. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Yeah, Phelps seems really down to earth, especially when compared to some other athletes out there.

Ah, true, it is a caddy. My mistake...they all look alike now anyways. All rebadged Tahoes.... ;) :D

11. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I for one hope he doesn't! But then again maybe its because I'm Australian! As for swimmers names... swimming has a slightly higher profile here than it does in the States - so we are familiar with lots of swimmers names, and not only Australian ones!

That's a bit harsh! Thorpie has for many years been the most outstanding swimmer in the world! Recognised at various international award nights, world championships, oh yeah and the last Olympics!

Nope - cause he'll have to beat Aussies' in the 200m, and relays to do it!