Micheal Schumacher

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jagga, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Jagga macrumors member

Just won his SIXth world championship in Formula1, a new record. Lucky bugga even gets paid to have the most fun, the most prestige and the most saught after brand of car the Ferrari.

Speaking of which, the have a record with this win as well, 5 straight constructors championship!:D

2. iGav macrumors G3

I've just finished watching the race, and this is such an incredible achievement.

I've followed F1 since the early/mid 80's and Fangio's record was something I always thought would would never be equalled never mind beaten, more so since the loss of Ayrton Senna at Imola in 94.

But Schumachers achievements in over a decade of F1 have been truly awe inspiring.... and I feel priviledged to have being able to watch such an incredible driver and sportsman in the pinnacle of motorsport, performing with the greatest team in motorsport.

Schumacher.... I salute you! ;) :) :D

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I don't like the man at all, he'll cheat to win and takes the word competetive way too far, that said, he is the greatest F1 driver of this or any other generation, and this new win simply proves that.

He's still a git, mind, just a very talented one.

4. iGav macrumors G3

:p :p :p

One thing I really regret not being able to witness is Senna Vs. Schumacher... that would have been one hell of a contest... (in Schumachers first full season 92, and the following year, they both had one up on each other at the end of the championship, and going into the 3rd season, 1994 Schuey was dominant...)

You can't even begin to imagine having them both in the same team (like Prost and Senna) that'd be totally insane.... :eek: both are/were capable of taking a car beyond the limit like no other.

Personally I believe that Schumacher is the greater of the 2... I followed Senna, up until his death, but the stuff that I've seen Schumacher pull out of the bag over the years has been truly jaw-dropping... when he's on a hot one, there is NOTHING else like it.... it's absolutely stunning to watch.... Hungary 98 is a prime example, he had to pull out 25 seconds for a pitstop over the McLaren over 20 laps, in a car that wasn't that great... suffice to say, he put in fastest lap, after fastest lap... got his time + pitstop and won the race.... absolutely quality!!

4 replies, 2 of which are mine, obviously not too many F1/Ferrari/Schumacher fans on the boards then.... :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I didn't actually watch the race, I already new the result. I knew he could do it! It's been a tight run thing this year, but the main man Shumy has come through AGAIN! w00t! Say what you want about him, but he is (IMO) the best F1 driver ever!

6. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I used to follow F1 quite avidly in the mid-90's. What killed it for me was Schumacher winning year after year after year. It just doesn't make for very good competition, when you know who's going to win ever before the season starts. Makes it kind of pointless. The best thing that could happen to F1 at the moment is for someone else to win the championship.

All the same though, he is an awesome driver to watch. I'm sure schumi fans are enjoying seeing him notch up record after record.

7. iGav macrumors G3

I was reading on the BBC website, and their is so many people that are winjing about Schumi, and that he knocks rivals of the course (as did Prost and Senna), that he's too competitive (abit like Senna) and that he has no competition (he started when Mansell, Piquet, Prost and Senna were still racing, thrashed Piquet who was his teammate, beat Senna in his first full year... etc etc)

Or that it's too easy now, because of all the electronics, these people seemingly completely forgetting that Mansell required the most advanced car ever to actually win a championship, that was fully active.

I never get tired of watching the guy.... this year has been very competitive, IMHO Ferrari had the greater car, but suffered through crap tyres, so it's been very close.

I grew up in a period of Williams and McLaren domination, a time when Ferrari really weren't competitive.... I never even imagined I'd see a time when Ferrari would be the dominate ones, I always though that'd be something that had only happened in the past.... and now to witness, arguably the greatest 'modern' era (modern been the era of downforce) driver, in the most historic and famous of teams, dominating exactly like Williams and McLaren did is fantastic and awe inspiring to see.

And what's even scarier to think, is that he could have easily have won the title in 97,98,99 had he had the Williams, and McLaren or atleast a car which was their equal and would have won 96 had he stayed with Benetton...

8. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

I actually met him once when we were filming an interview for TV about 3 years ago and he is a very kind and honest guy. He is not a cheater... why would he have to? He recieved so much money in the meantime, so he is just in for the fun now.

9. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

I am a big formular one and Schumi Fan Since 1993 I nearly watched every race. I have nearly the same opinion like you about Schumi.

Yesterday I heard an interview with Norbert Haug and he said something like Schumi can never get enough and so on. Well - I only can say - Go out and beat him.

Its correct to say that he made some mistakes like Jerez 98. But he always learned from his mistakes

Cheers
    CmdrLaForge

10. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

The Schumacher/Ferrari Distortion Field

I don't buy this Greatest Driver In The World crap. People are all too willing to turn a blind eye to the blatant favouritism shown by the FIA towards Michael Schumacher. In Suzuka that sudden blocking manouver he pulled on the faster Williams would have been at least a drive through penalty for any other driver. Earlier in the race he drove into the back of a BAR which was ahead of the Ferrari. Again, no penalty.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Schumacher is a gifted driver but his world records and race wins have more to do with corrupt FIA politics than the driver's own abilities.

11. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

Too bad jacques villeneuve was fired from BAR, he would have been shumachers only compition had he not left Williams in 98..

aethier

PS: stupid crappy B.A.R

12. iGav macrumors G3

Re: The Schumacher/Ferrari Distortion Field

I don't think FIA are biased.... look at 94 where he was disqualified twice.... or in 1997 when he was stripped of his second place in the world championship, or earlier this year in Malaysia when he was given a drive through penalty.

As for Suzuka, he wasn't penalised because he was the only one who was affected from the incident with Sato, has Sato spun he would have been given a drive through penalty, exactly like he was in Malaysia or with Montoya in Indy... As Charlie Whitling said, he came very close to receiving a penalty for the Sato incident, but because Sato wasn't affected, and Schumacher had to pit for a new nose cone, then the only one affected by the incident was Schumacher.

The incident later in the race was because De Matta braked significantly earlier for the corner because he was offline on the defensive, Schumacher M, took avoiding action, and Schumacher R, had to then take further avoiding action and lost control, but crucially he lost control before contact was made. Hence no penalty.

Good to see some more posts.... ;)

13. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Re: The Schumacher/Ferrari Distortion Field

I seldom read that kind of nonsense.

Cheers
    CmdrLaForge

14. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Sure. He probably helps old ladies across the road too.

Schumacher deliberately drives into other cars to further the chances of his winning the title, thats cheating in my book, the same way as diving in football, deliberate targeting of players in rugby and doping in horesracing are cheating.

He cheats because he really, really, really wants to win and will do anything to succeed.

Doesn't stop him being a great driver, in fact, it may be the reason he IS a great driver, but I don't have to like him and I don't.

15. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Re: Re: The Schumacher/Ferrari Distortion Field

So you are saying that self-inflicted damage to the car is punishment enough for reckless driving?! Schumacher gets away with that sort of behaviour now that he is the golden goose of Formula 1 but driving like that is a danger to the other drivers and spectators.

Michael Schumacher and the FIA's reluctance to treat him as any other driver make a mockery out of Formula 1.

16. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Re: Re: Re: The Schumacher/Ferrari Distortion Field

Nonsense. It was a normal race incident. And Satos car was not damaged. Its was quite different to what Montoya did in the Indianapolis GP where Barrichelo was out after Montoya pushed him of the street.

17. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

It really is a shame F1 is not covered to any real extent here in the US. It seems like it would be so much better than the circle track tripe that has become so obscenely popular here, although I have heard F1 referred to as a "high speed, high tech parade." As for Schumacher, I don't have any strong opinions on the man one way or the other, but I am happy that he drives for Ferrari. . . I'm trying to persuade my wife that, should we ever have a boy, we name him Enzo!

18. the future macrumors 6502a

I think apart from his pure driving skills Schumachers greatest gift is in his input in the development of the car he is driving. Those people that think the last few years were boring because Ferrari was so far ahead should consider the fact that Ferrari was very far *behind* the competition when Schumacher came to them. There are a lot of drivers who drive fast when they get a fast car, but there are very few drivers that help make the car fast in the first place, and Schumacher is the prime example for that. Ferrari always had loads of money, but only Schumacher (re-)injected professionalism into their whole attitude.

PLUS he is one of the *very* few drivers to win the championship in a car that was arguably *not* the best in the competition (Benetton, first 1-2 Ferrari titles). This is something drivers like Mansell, Hill, Hakkinen etc. could only ever dream of.

19. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I totally agree.

20. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: Re: The Schumacher/Ferrari Distortion Field

But no harm came to Sato.... so why should Schumacher be punished??? Sato himself has said he didn't feel any contact, and it only takes a slight touch to destroy a F1 wing.... this was a racing incident.

Where as in Mayalsia (When Schumacher was punished), or Montoya in Indy both affected the other car, hence why they were punished and quite rightly so.... if Sato had spun, Charlie Whiting had said Schumacher would have been punished, but because NOTHING happened to Sato, they couldn't punish him for trying an overtaking move, where he came off second best.

Also it was a low speed incident, so neither driver or spectator was in danger... it's not like the day Senna at Suzuka in '90 used his McLaren as a 4 wheeled missile to take Prost out at 160+mph at the first corner, when the crowd really were in danger of either flying parts coming off the car, or worse, at that speed, a car losing downforce and flippng off into the crowd.... such a scenario was unlikey to happen at such a low speed chicane like the Sato/Schumacher incident.

As for the FIA treating him differently, I've outlined several examples of where Schumacher has been serverly dealt with i.e. disqualification and having his second place stripped, as well as been given a drive through penalty as well....

Oh to further back up my argument, France 2002, when coming out of the pits, he crossed the white line, as did Ralf Schumacher, and DC.... they were all given drive through penalties.... ;) or Silverstone in 98 when he was given a 10 second stop/go penalty after overtaking under yellows.... ;)

FIA treating him differently.... :rolleyes:

21. iGav macrumors G3

Before Schumacher, the last person I recall winniing the title in an inferior car was Senna in 91. The Williams of Mansell was by far and away the greater car, but it's initial lack of reliability at the start of the season allowed Senna to build a points cushion in the McLaren.

22. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Schumacher/Ferrari Distortion Field

Ok, if you want to dig into your season notes, how about this: Montoya was given a championship-killing penalty for Barrichello's spin in Indianapolis but earlier in the year, in Silverstone, Schumacher took out Alonso and was given no penalty at all. Remember, Montoya tried to overtake on a damp track on which Barrichelo's Bridgestones were a handycap.

2003 was an amazing season but the way it ended was a disgrace.

23. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Schumacher/Ferrari Distortion Field

Montoya was penalised because he caused an avoidable incident, and knocked another competitor out... championship killing or not.... he was rightly punished.

The same way as Schumacher was punished at the first corner of the Maylasian GP when he clipped Trulli, Schumacher was rightly given a drive through penalty.

At Silverstone, Schumacher did not 'Take Alonso out', I presume you're referring to the incident on Hanger Straight where by as Alonso went to overtake, Schumacher used his 'move one' allowance to defend his position. Alonso retired because of gearbox failure during this race.

24. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

That's why SPEED's F1 Decade series rocks!

I saw it all the first time around, but this time I'm saving it all to SVCD. Prost, Senna, and Schumacher on the track together was magic :D

25. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

I'm a Hill fan

I agree.

Damon Hill, Williams test driver getting the drive. If you saw the way Micheal was treating his brother Ralph, (not affraid of his brother), we see the style of racing that was usual with Shumacher vs Hill.

Should keep in mind drivers like David Coulthard, who had the best for a very long time, and even said that - anyone could win a World Championship with the best car, when refering to Damon Hill.

Also, Schumacher is still on five, not including ramming Hill off the track to secure his own Championship.

Was hoping that Jacques Villeneuve replacement was in there to even the score.:)