Michigan Preparing To Let Doctors Refuse To Treat Gays

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Mar 28, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I wonder if this will include those doctors who accept Medi-Care/Aid.

Don't our lawmakers have more pressing issues? :rolleyes:

3. mpw Guest

I'd love to see the reaction of The Michigan Catholic Conference when a feminist/gay/Jewish/Islamic/Hindu/Native American Doctor refuses treatment to a Catholic on moral grounds!

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

So atheists would have the right to refuse treatment to Christians, Momons could refust treatment to those who smoke and drink. This is so idiotic and I'm sure will be found unconstitutional.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I have a modest proposal: No doctor should treat any member of a religious or ethnic group outside of his or her own. If any group wants health care, they should train their own doctors and stop taking it away from other people. Only the deserving will be treated. Harmony must be preserved.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

I've gone from being a registered Republican, to a registered independent to wanting to move to British Coumbia all in one year.

This country is really a shame anymore. Hate to say it.

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Do you mean shame sham or both? ;)

Don't move to BC.... it's beautiful, pleasant and the culture is more enlightened but it's so BORING.

Stay here in the USA and help me change the political landscape. Re-register "Undeclared" and join me in my "Sense and Reason" movement. :D

8. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Please don't that far... I'm sorry to see you no longer registered as a Republican. I think the only way to prevent the party from going bannas is people such as yourself to provide your input rather than withdraw. All political parties play to the largest demographics in their support base. If people with opposing views leave the party, it will only strengthen the groups you may be against.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If every member of the GOP who thinks their party has slipped off the rails dropped their affiliation, the party would either (1) get the message and change, or (2) end up representing the views of maybe 20% of the nation.

I've long thought the latter was true anyway, but I'm happy to hear many Republicans now recognize it.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Republican party has gone bananas and the far right zealots are running and ruining that party. Democrats are floundering around and seem to only react to the Republicans. Libertarian? we need a party for the American worker/taxpayer what we have now is a joke on both sides. Neither represents me nor this country and im sure many feel this way. This Michigan thing would be against the Constitution in my view. American political system/govt has become a tool of the special interest. Not a tool of the people.

11. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

the Hippocratic Oath, too.

12. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I guess this is what happens when there is no separation of church and state. Very troubling. How long before we declare "jihad" on gays, lesbians, minorities and all Christian non-believers?

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Heyh iGary

PM me for real estate and rental listings in Victoria BC -- we'd welcome you!
    'Course then you could join the fight against some of the bass-ackwards policies of our current right-wing provincial government but hey...

14. iGary Guest

iGary

I just feel like my entire party has abandoned reason for madness (yeah I got that from LOTR).

They're supposed to be about staying the *&(* out of my life and the government is more invasive than ever. Prime example: The Schiavo case. It's not their damn decision.

I do enjoy some of the tax breaks of the last 4 years, but most of them are aimed at people who most heavily burden our system...

And the whole religious tone that has crept its way in..

My party used to be about freedom, government staying out of my business (as long as I don't infringe on the rights of others), and giving some tax relief to the guy in the middle.

The left is just as bad.

Blah.

Leave me alone.
    Keep your hand out of my wallet.
    I'll be a good citizen.

Deal?

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If you visit the Gettysburg battlefield, you'll find a marker on Cemetery Ridge marking where the last Confederate soldier fell in Pickett's Charge, R.E. Lee's ill-fated attempt to break the Union Army lines after days of stalemate. Probably nobody knew it then, but Lee had made the worst decision of his military career, and at that moment, lost the war for the South. If memory serves, the monument reads "High Tide of the Confederacy."

This history lesson is brought to you by the MacRumors Analogy Department. In tomorrow's lesson, we will discuss Napoleon's invasion of Russia.

16. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

And isolationism will somehow facilitate this?

Sorry, I don't buy it.

17. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Calm down

Whoa... people, slow down. First of all, this is old news. This bill was passed and enacted last year. It is not as bad as the article posted appears. Before you go jumping all over it and fleeing the United States you might want to actually read the bill. Michigan's site didn't have the full text of the passed/enacted bill online, but this was the version that was approved by the House. I didn't read the full text of the one passed by the Senate, but often they are identical. Maybe that's why they don't have the final one posted, it might be the same.

At any rate, the bill does not say that a health care provider can refuse treatment to a patient based on attributes of the patient. Rather, it must be an objection to the nature of the health service being provided to the patient.

I think this was brought up by those who did not want to have to perform abortions or handout contraceptives at clinics, etc. That is something entirely different than refusing to treat someone based on their religious beliefs or sexual preferences.

Now, I am not saying I am in support of this bill. I agree it is a slipperly slope and I wish this legislation was better defined to strongly limit the scope under which it could be applied to prevent the abuses you fear. I just thought it should be pointed out that what you all seem to be so upset over is not actually part of this bill.

I recall there was a "buzz" about this (health care providers not having to perform abortions, handout contraceptives, abortion literature, etc) sometime last year. I think I heard a report about it on NPR - but I thought it was something on the national level or in a southern state. If anyone knows more about this topic please feel free to add, as I'm curious about it.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Okay, instead, tomorrow's lesson will be, "Satire: How to Use it and How Recognize it." ;)

19. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Hah. My bad.

Perhaps being liberally minded (or, at least, not radically conservative) in Alabama has warped my ability to refrain from knee-jerk reactions in this sort of a discussion.

My apologies, sir.

20. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

oi! have i posted a stale story? if so, sorry!

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

High Water Mark (just a few miles west from me)

[​IMG]

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

High water mark -- of course. I knew you'd correct me if I goofed. I haven't been there in over 30 years, but I was a major Civil War buff when I was a kid, so I should have remember that correctly.

Hope you liked the analogy anyway.

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

"The time for compromise has now passed, and the South is determined to maintain her position, and make all who oppose her smell Southern powder and feel Southern steel"

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly