Michigan vs. Ohio Pictures (my dad got 'em)

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Nov 25, 2003.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Here are the pics I said my dad would take. He got about 40 of em, but I just grabbed a few and uploaded them.

Michigan vs. Ohio Pics

2. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

GREAT SHOTS!

I'm not a ffan of Michigan or Ohio State, but I love the tradition of both programs. Thast ended up being a great game too.

Regards,
    Gus

3. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

4. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Sweet, he was on the field. I've got season tickets, but I haven't been on the ground since I was a student and we stormed the field after the last game in 1991. That was the last game before they went to real grass, and I wanted a peice of the turf (and I got it. Oh yeah.)

OHOWIHATEOHIOSTATE!

GO BLUE!!!

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

foxer-

you know we went back to turf starting this year, right? it's the same one being used on ford field - looks very nice, at least on tv... i didn't get tickets this year, so i haven't seen the turf in person...

apparently, they've had a lot of problems with drainage and the grass dying...

nice pics!

6. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Oh yeah. I followed the epic of the field turf quite closely. It's my understanding that the agro-engineer that couldn't get grass to grow in the stadium was a MSU alum.

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

he he, i've heard a rumor to that extent as well.

at least the grass looks better than astroturf and we aren't sticking ugly stickers on our helmets. :)

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Those are nice pictures MacAztec, thank you for sharing.

The Michigan vs. Ohio is always a great matchup of rivals. I'm for the Buckeyes since it's my native state. On Sunday at a luncheon, a Michigan fan sad that he was sorry about the loss. He said that he admired the program at Ohio State.

Will look forward to more pictures MacAztec. On which side is your father? My father-in-law graduated from their medical school.

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Nice pics, unfourtunately I can't route for either team, Michigan being our rival school because I goto Illinois. And I can't say I'm an OSU fan, its a good thing they didn't get a chance to beat us in football this year. Well thank god basketball season is here and the fighting illini have a chance to bring in their share of victories
    then again, everyone guaranteed the Bulls of a playoff spot at the beginning of the season.

10. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

How is Michigan your rival but not OSU? We're all in the same conference. I thought UofI's rivals (according to my sister, an Illini) were Mizzu, Northwestern and possibly Indiana.

11. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

yeah, illinois had a pretty rough season. that's one of the things about Michigan or OSU - history. other teams have been able to find success on a short term when the team is blessed with good talent. take kittner at illinois. he was absolutely fantastic and illinois deserved the big ten title two years ago. but it's hard to sustain... in that sense, what OSU and Michigan has been doing is quite remarkable - the consistency.

i think joe tiller is starting something at purdue. brees has been gone, but he's still doing an excellent job.

i'm still waiting for notre dame to come to senses and join big ten. but i'm very much against the resulting 12 team "Big Ten" to split into two divisions and have a championship game. we already have a Big Ten championship - it's called the Michigan vs. OSU game at the end of October. :D

12. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

It makes a great deal of sense for ND to join, but as a UofM alum, We play them most of the time anyway. I doubt many Irish want to join a conference which, even if they restore the glory, they will only win every 3 or 4 years. Look what happened to Penn State.

I have mixed emotions regarding the conferences. However, most of the good teams would be in the "east," while the Cinderellas tend to come from the "west." If they divided it North and South, it might be more balanced.

I thought they might try to steal West Virginia or Pitt when the ACC looted the Big East, but I guess not.

13. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i have thought about a 12 team Big Ten...

east/west is the best, in terms of geography...

east: PSU, UM, MSU, OSU, IU, ND
    west: NW, IL, Minn, Wisc, Iowa, Purdue

but like you said, it's too unbalanced...

another way is to cluster by traditional strength (with a little bias of recent history and regions)

cluster 1: UM, OSU, Wisc
    cluster 2: ND, Purdue, Iowa
    cluster 3: Minn, PSU, MSU
    cluster 4: Ill, IU, NW

but it's hard, because there are some teams that must play each other every year because of rivaly or some kind of trophy game...

kind of fun spending some time thinking about it...

14. James.Paul macrumors regular

Just watched the game in England tonight. Very good game. How big was the crowd? Chris Perry looks a good prospect for the pro's and he must be very close to winning the Heismann. I guess he will have been very sore on Sunday morning with all those hits he took.

I get the recently started North American Sports Network channel in the UK and love watching the college game. I used to go to college in the states and look out for the Iowa Hawkeyes. They seem to be doing okay this year.

Happy Thanksgiving to all you americans.

15. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

The crowd was 112,000 people (record crowd). My dad said when him and all the x-players went on the field pre-kickoff, it got sooooo loud. Louder then any game he ever played there.

16. James.Paul macrumors regular

I can believe it was 112,000. It looked it on TV.

I love watching the college game and to be honest find it more entertaining than the pro's. Maybe thats because the Redskins are being so poor. Just seems to be more passion and involvement. It will be a shame when the season finishes although then i have college hooops to look forward to.

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

off topic, but i thought about expanding the PAC 10 to more teams

right now it's

U of arizona
    arizona state
    U of washington
    washinton state
    U of oregon
    oregon state
    U of california, berkeley
    U of california, los angeles
    university of southern california
    stanford

i would like to add in

cal state fresno (the bulldogs)
    cal state san jose (the spartans, where 49ers QB jeff garcia went)
    U of california, davis (the aggies)

and call it the LUCKY 13 or something to that effect

it would make it the best division in college football

18. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

interesting idea, jefhatfield...

i kinda like the currently simplicity of pac 10.

5 regions (washington, oregon, bay area, LA and arizona), two schools from each region. makes for great rivalries.

there is almost no "weak" schools too. good football schools (usc, washington), good basketball schools (ucla, arizona), good olympic sports schools (stanford, cal), etc. oregon state is a little "weak" but nothing like northwestern in big ten, vandy in sec and baylor in big 12...

just because of the number, it would be great if pac-10 played less out of conference and played every team in the conference each year...

19. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I don't make the rules but the largest anti-another school sentiment is Michigan. Considering that you can buy Orange and Blue Muck Fichigan shirts on campus and on fridays your likely to see atleast a few even if we aren't playing michigan.

When we played Indiana, it was ESPN's pillow fight game of the week hehe
    ... Nobody really cares about mizzu, they are kind of just down there and Northwestern used to be the whipping boy of the conference until they raped us .... for some reason I'd say our obvious rivals are michigan

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the two rivalries in california...usc vs ucla...stanford vs uc berkely...are not only based on school pride in sports and being in the same division, but in social caste

i could go on and on about the philosophical differences between rich and poor, black and white, privelidged and underprivelidged, private vs public...but that all belongs squarely in the political thread

just suffice to say, visit one school, look around and observe...then visit the other school...and then you will see why the rivalries at those schools are more than just sports

21. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Ah, Michigan and Ohio State--Two teams that routinely trounce my school's team. But we can make a fair football showing against Illinois, Kwyjibo. It's very surprising that we made the Bowl, though.

Not that very many people care about football here. They just care about US News Rankings and MCAT scores and grades. Wow, I just described myself! SWEET!

Yes, yes we did.

22. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

The clusters sound good, but Northwestern really has no business in the Big Ten. We should, I don't know, be playing local high school teams or something.

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

24. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Interesting post jef. No wonder your post count is over 6000. :D

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

over the last couple of years, i must have done that a million times and i can't delete the darn thing now that we users can't delete posts like the good old days:p