Micro and Nano comparisons

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just thought i'd bring this up as i'd love to hear reactions.

Apple have just released their new MP3 player. the iPod Nano. with a miniscule footprint, shorter battery life than the mini and a worse cost/gb ration than the mini.

only thing is people are raving over this new device. (on a personal note i was really loving it until i realised £130 wasn't for the 4gb version and it's replaced the Mini range)

however you have to form an orderly queue to flame the Micro. Whereas, if you think about, they are both exactly the same, they just do different jobs.

the Micro costs more than an SP (well, in the US), its smaller, its pretty, its clearly aimed at the fashionable market.
    the Nano costs more than the Mini, holds less, its small and pretty and aimed at the fashionable market.

Views? should it all boil down to Shigsy having a better RDF?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

4. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

An interesting comparisons but there is a difference. The BG Micro is for the most part old technology where as the the nano has new UI color more extras features. Well the lower battery life and and smaller sizes are a step back the iPod still is newer and better IMHO.

BTW post 500 woot!

5. Cfly macrumors regular

the micro way to over priced. when nintendo first introduced it i thought it would sell pretty well, because i figured it would between 50 and 70 dollars. And then the go and price it at 99 dollars. who would buy that when you can get a ds for like 30 or 40 bucks more.

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm with you. I thought, "man, a tiny little GBA for $49.99 will be a huge hit". Because, after all, how could they raise the price for something they are already selling? But, they did. It seems to be doing ok, I've heard lots of good things about it, but... well, I'm not getting one. ;P

Comparing it to the nano, as mentioned, is a little unfair. The micro is just a GBA in a smaller box. The nano is a mini in a smaller box, but it adds a color screen and a couple other 'improvements' (changes at least) like flash memory and some extra software features.

I suppose we can look at it like this: 6gb mini aside, just looking at the 4gb mini and the 4gb nano... $50 price jump for the nano. Is the smaller form factor and color screen worth that $50? To me and many others, yes, it is.

For the GBA SP vs Micro: $20 for a smaller (but nicer) screen, and a smaller device, without GB/C compatibility? Is it worth it? To me and lots others, no, to some yes.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Gotta agree.

Reggie: "It will be the cheapest GameBoy ever produced!!!"

A few months later, GameBoy Micro, $99.

They must have some huge profit margins on that thing.

8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

That or, and I have NO proof of this, just a theory, they had a lower quality LCD in there at first and product testing came back and said "this thing sucks, the display is so tiny and it's muddy and crappy and I have no idea what's going on in the game". So they put a much nicer, and moer expensive screen in it.

Or, they figured they could make more money charging $100 and selling less units than a crap load at $50.

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

so its a problem with Reggie saying it would cost less?

As for the Micro using old tech, i've got an MP3 player sat next to me with a colour screen and 512mb flash memory that i've had for at least 3 years. the Nano is fairly old tech too, that said I've never seen a 4gb flash MP3 player.

10. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Yes but the nano is still a step up from what it was. Other then a brighter screen and smaller size the same can not be said about the micro.

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the nano a step up ? ..depends.. i've been waiting for a ipod mini with 10 gb ..sure the smaller size would be nice but it still doesn't fit all my music .. so will be waiting again
    same with the game boy micro : smaller better screen but no older games.. that's pretty much the same like the ipod nano

(and i'm not going to buy either so far .. though a camoflague gb micro or the black ipod are tempting ;) )

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Technology wise, the nano is at best a step sideways, but from a form factor and usability standpoint it is definately a step up. It's solid state, extremely light, what I feel to be the perfect size (super thin, just big enough to fit comfortably in your hand, but not so big you can't slip it in a pocket and forget about it).

13. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I think it's a valid comparison, but I like both.

I think it all boils down to iPods being cool. If gameboys were as cool as ipods, everyone would be drooling over the micro aswell..

14. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Well maybe not capacity wise but that will change the screen is better it has more features. Although on the other hand it does lose some...

15. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Same here. Maybe get a used iPod mini and fit it with a bigger hard-drive? Could it be possible, when the harddrives get there?

16. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm....

I'm quite positive he's referring to the Creative Zen Micro mp3 player, which is a disgusting piece of crap.

End of discussion.

*Do you think he would have prefaced the post like he did if he wasn't talking about a direct iPod competitor? (Because I don't)

17. risc macrumors 68030

risc

If you read the original post he talks about the Micro versus the SP (as in the Nintendo GameBoys).

18. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Gameboy (Advance) Micro. nothing to with Zen. hah. anything would be a Zen.
    thats why its in the game board :)

19. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

You're half right. However, the Nano is most definitely NOT a technological step sideways.

High-capacity flash memory is the wave of the future for devices like this. The Nano is the first step in right direction for Apple.

As to those who complain about the Nano's capacity...uh...

Do you think the mini was a value version of the iPod or something? Because that's not at ALL the point.

Capacity should only really be criticized when it comes to the regular iPod line (which provides great value for the money at the moment).

20. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Fair enough. ;) :p :D

21. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Okay, okay, okay, I get it now.

22. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I meant it from the point of view of the end user. Getting 4gb of flash memory is huge, but from the users point of view, you're not getting anything we haven't seen before. Now, the technology makes the form factor, which is it's key feature, possible, so I agree with you.

23. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Here you go guys, a Micro and Nano comparison.

In my opinion, the Micro's LCD is better than the one on the Nano. It's really sharp.

Of course, I suck at taking pictures, so you won't be able to compare picture quality. But as far as size is concerned, anything smaller and you just couldn't use it (the Micro I mean). I find the top buttons (L/R) a bit hard to use (or maybe it's the way I hold the Micro).

In any case, the Micro is worth its price, just like the Nano is worth its price. It's not about capacity, it's about size and portability. The DS is nice, but it's too big to carry around all the time.

Attached Files:

24. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

playing the original Zelda i see ;)

Nintendo have also updated their GBA SP line with amazing screens. its backlit now, and brighter/more vivid than the PSP. which is making me ponder getting a new SP and forgetting the Micro for a long time.
    Nintendo haven't announced anything though. probably so they dont detract from the Micro's launch

25. cubist macrumors 68020

Hey Yvan256, does the Micro have a regular headphone jack (like the DS)? If so you could use it as a music player with one of those GBA Movie packs. At retail, a big flash card will likely cost more than the iPod Nano.

Small things cost more to make. Besides, there's efficiencies of scale. The GBA SP didn't start out at $79, did it?

Lastly, early adopters are willing to pay more, especially in a place like Japan where people love small things. Personally, the GBA SP is small enough for me (and I wish the DS were a little smaller) but I don't consider my opinion representative of anyone else.