micro center store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by staka69, Dec 24, 2005.

1. staka69 macrumors member

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i've been their before, the store that was in NY on Long island... and its like a compusa but with even less organization. I think its a certified apple reseller...
    I don't think they will honor the student discount only apple online or their retail stores..

3. osprey76 macrumors 6502

Micro Center is legtimate. I worked there earlier this year (in the Dever, CO, store.) Only Apple can give you the student discount (or some campuses that have stores.)

They pay their rebates. Just be sure you get it sent off quickly. Most of them expire two weeks after the date of purchase. I bought several things that had rebates and always got the rebate check.

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Microcenter is awesome. Their store in Houston rocks. Highly recommended... I got a 512 stick of RAM for $40. (rock.)

I don't think they do student discounts, though.. I could be wrong, though! Ask. :)

5. staka69 thread starter macrumors member

I just called the store

The store is like 15 min. away in cambridge, ma. I just called and asked the dude if they had any 17" iMac's in stock, he was like "what?"

After a minute or so, he was like "a G5?", I was like yes an apple imac 17", so that was kinda scary.

I was just wondering if they were legit, which it sounds like they are according to your prompt replies, so I know my mail in rebate is not just a scam or something.

Thanks

6. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

They're legit, but they suck. Avoid at all costs unless you have no other options...you think CompUSA is bad? Microcenter gives a whole new meaning to "suckage".

7. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

very true...
    where in cambridge...?

9. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

There stores are usually a major mess. As long as you know what you want its not a problem. If you have a question good luck finding help.

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Geez.. I've never had a bad experience with MicroCenter... where is this that it's so bad?

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's off Memorial Drive, near Trader Joe's and the giant neon Shell sign.

12. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

They have their annoyances, as do most retail stores, but overall, I've never had any problem with MicroCenter. I've bought tons of stuff at the Dallas store (including a Power Mac 8500 the week of their grand opening).

13. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

It's interesting to hear the variation in experiences in MicroCenter stores.
    I second katie's opinion that as a whole, the Houston, TX store is awesome!
    Specifically, the people who work there are generally knowledgeable - also, their prices are fairly competitive without having to wait for specific sales.
    If I was going to buy computer accessories at an actual brick-and-mortar store, MicroCenter is usually the place I go to.

14. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

From what I see about the variation in stores, it's probably managed more on a store-to-store basis rather than on a central basis...resulting in huge variation in store quality. I guess you're lucky if you live near a good one. :p

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Microcenter is a good place to get deals and they have a large selection of Apple-relevant hardware and software. The sales staff are usually more helpful than at place like Best Buy or CompUSA.

However I have had bad experiences with their service department, whose "technicians" are not worthy of the name.