Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i've been their before, the store that was in NY on Long island... and its like a compusa but with even less organization. I think its a certified apple reseller...
I don't think they will honor the student discount only apple online or their retail stores..

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
Micro Center is legtimate. I worked there earlier this year (in the Dever, CO, store.) Only Apple can give you the student discount (or some campuses that have stores.)

They pay their rebates. Just be sure you get it sent off quickly. Most of them expire two weeks after the date of purchase. I bought several things that had rebates and always got the rebate check.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Microcenter is awesome. Their store in Houston rocks. Highly recommended... I got a 512 stick of RAM for $40. (rock.)

I don't think they do student discounts, though.. I could be wrong, though! Ask. :)

staka69

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2005
I just called the store

The store is like 15 min. away in cambridge, ma. I just called and asked the dude if they had any 17" iMac's in stock, he was like "what?"

After a minute or so, he was like "a G5?", I was like yes an apple imac 17", so that was kinda scary.

I was just wondering if they were legit, which it sounds like they are according to your prompt replies, so I know my mail in rebate is not just a scam or something.

Thanks

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
They're legit, but they suck. Avoid at all costs unless you have no other options...you think CompUSA is bad? Microcenter gives a whole new meaning to "suckage".

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
StealthRider said:
They're legit, but they suck. Avoid at all costs unless you have no other options...you think CompUSA is bad? Microcenter gives a whole new meaning to "suckage".
very true...
staka69 said:
The store is like 15 min. away in cambridge, ma.

where in cambridge...?

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
puckhead193 said:
i've been their before, the store that was in NY on Long island... and its like a compusa but with even less organization. I think its a certified apple reseller...
I don't think they will honor the student discount only apple online or their retail stores..

There stores are usually a major mess. As long as you know what you want its not a problem. If you have a question good luck finding help.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
StealthRider said:

Geez.. I've never had a bad experience with MicroCenter... where is this that it's so bad?

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
They have their annoyances, as do most retail stores, but overall, I've never had any problem with MicroCenter. I've bought tons of stuff at the Dallas store (including a Power Mac 8500 the week of their grand opening).

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
It's interesting to hear the variation in experiences in MicroCenter stores.
I second katie's opinion that as a whole, the Houston, TX store is awesome!
Specifically, the people who work there are generally knowledgeable - also, their prices are fairly competitive without having to wait for specific sales.
If I was going to buy computer accessories at an actual brick-and-mortar store, MicroCenter is usually the place I go to.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
From what I see about the variation in stores, it's probably managed more on a store-to-store basis rather than on a central basis...resulting in huge variation in store quality. I guess you're lucky if you live near a good one. :p

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Microcenter is a good place to get deals and they have a large selection of Apple-relevant hardware and software. The sales staff are usually more helpful than at place like Best Buy or CompUSA.

However I have had bad experiences with their service department, whose "technicians" are not worthy of the name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.