Micro-Laptop

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by zuggerat, Jun 4, 2004.

1. zuggerat macrumors regular

Check this out, it's really cool. Designed by IBM and Apple engineers, it would be very interesting to see if Apple takes this technology and makes their own niche-micro-laptop.

here's the video, RP or WMP --- http://news.com.com/1606-2-5222650.html

2. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

the OQO has been seen on the web for nearly 2 years now. unfortunately the Transmeta processors are on par with low-level Celeron's. i think its more of a threat to the PDA market than the laptop market... either way it'd be handy, even handier running OSX ;)

3. legion macrumors 6502a

It was NOT designed by Apple engineers. The underlying design is by IBM (see the MetaPad) and is patented by them (IBM). An ex-IBM employee and an ex-Apple Hardware engineer bought a license to the design and made a commercial product and started this company (OQO). Apple had nothing to do with this.

Time to get the facts straight.

4. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

i did notice in the video that the Battery resembles the powerbook batteries ALOT. just an observation.

5. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

xp in your pocket - gotta be joking

bah

Who wants windows XP in your pocket. I'd rather have osx in my bag any day. :D

aussie_geek

6. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

The max ram on this thing is 256, putting XP on it is asking for punishment, even after paying the price for it. O why did they not include linux instead or offer a version with linux for it.

7. zuggerat thread starter macrumors regular

if you listen to the video it clearly states that APPLE was involved...it's time to get off ur apple pedistal and get some humility towards people who are not as well versed in technological nerd-dom

8. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Windows XP runs perfectly fine on 256 megs of ram.

Its not OS X ;)

9. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Really? both of my XP machines crawl with 256MB, I've found 512MB is the lowest amount of RAM for decent performance… just like OS X.

10. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Odd.

Must be something else about your machines causing them to be slow.

1ghz tbird 256 ddr@266 here sp1 (currrently running Windows Longhorn :p )

11. kidA macrumors regular

i have a four-year-old old windows xp box (1 GHz) that still flies with 384 MB RAM (PC133).

back on topic--this thing has been around for a few years in different incarnations. it's interesting, but there are a few huge problems with it:
    1) this is a pocket device but runs a desktop OS. that means no instant on, no instant access to PIM apps. you'll still need a palm.
    2) who wants to run a destop OS on a 4 inch screen? thos are going to be some tiny pixels. tiny pixels lead to tiny text.

I think this thing is pretty cool. mostly just for geek factor though. A business traveler couldn't really work on anything on an airplane with this thing, the screen is too small, the keyboard is not useful for any real typing beyond a short email.

12. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

okay, we didn't have to make personal attacks.

here's the truth. there were several ex-apple (perhaps some current, but i doubt it) employees who are very involved in the project. however, Apple Computer, Inc. is not on record of supporting the project officially. OQO however, had some heavy startup support from Woz. So while there may have been some apple influence, Apple didn't have anything to do with it specifically.

13. kewpid macrumors regular

This thing has been mostly vapourware for the past 2-3 years. When is it going to go on sale? :(

14. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

this fall