Micro Macworld, major goals

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Jun 12, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

As Boston trumpets center, company puts new spin on trade show

By Keith Reed, Globe Staff *|* June 12, 2004

Steve Jobs made clear a long time ago his Apple Computer Corp. wasn't showing up at the Macworld Conference & Expo when it moves from New York to Boston next month. Maybe Bill Gates wasn't happy with the change either.

Dozens of former exhibitors, including software giant Microsoft Corp., will be absent from what was once the granddaddy of technology trade shows on the East Coast. Macworld, which will return to Boston in July after an eight-year absence, has attracted 50 exhibitors so far, compared to 131 last year. Organizers said they expect the number of exhibitors to reach as many as 80 before the convention starts July 12, still 39 percent fewer than last year.

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2004/06/12/micro_macworld_major_goals/

2. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Welcome back to Boston, then. I think Apple just used the move as an excuse to leave the show, and that they would have left even if it had stayed in NYC.

Its too bad, I really wanted to go, but I'm leaving to India on the 12th. I guess I'll go next year, assuming they keep around here in Boston. Boston is better than NY btw :)

3. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations on your trip to India, it sounds awesome. How long will you be gone? I will miss a chance to meet you.

I wish there was a way to really let Steve know of our dissatisfaction. Not just his lieutenants, but him personally. I hold him directly accountable.

I agree, its great to have MacWorld back home where it belongs.

4. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I'd personally like to have it in NYC, just because it is so much more convenient for me. For those who are happy that it is back in Boston, I'm mean seriously what is the point without Apple? Whether it be right or wrong (and I lean towards wrong) Apple is not showing up, so it doesn't really matter. Macworld....or Creative pro or whatever its called, only can stand in the shadow of what it once was.....I think Apple wants to make WWDC their summer show anyway.

My 2 cents. :)

5. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Sadly I agree with your WWDC assessment. Some had said that Steve was just looking for an excuse to abandon the East Coast. He would have found a reason to stop NYC also. If he continues this arrogance, it could cause problems for Apple. :(

6. pjkelnhofer macrumors 6502a

pjkelnhofer

7. meredyth macrumors newbie

I'm going- I've always wanted to go to macworld and when I got the brochure I signed up immediately. I just wish I knew that it was going to be a smaller event before I prepaid a HUGE amount of money to secure a hotel for the whole week!

8. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'm going back for the first time in 5 years, alas, to spend only 5 weeks there. Hopefully we can meet next year- or a Cambridgeside TigerOS release party? :cool:

9. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

I've gone the last two years and was glad it was going to Boston. A different place to visit, I'm from Ohio, but when I found out that Apple was going.... Well I'm just not sure if I want to go now and will probably wait until the last minute to decide. So far not many exhibiters, less than half by the article. It may not be worth the trip. :mad:

10. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Is there a chance that you might go to CambridgeSide on the 28th? That is if they offer live streaming via Satellite. I had a great time there with other Mac Fans during MWSF. They even setup three rows of chairs.

11. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

I'm out in the burbs, so if they do offer streaming, I'll see if I can get into town.