Micro$oft stealing Apple ideas

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Warini, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Warini macrumors newbie

Hi I've been always so displeased about micro$oft coping every apple innovation, I know lot of them but I wanted you guys to post the things microsoft have stoled from apple. so i can have a list of them, (it's gonna be a big one) to have in my dorm so each time one of my microfans friends come here I can show it to them.

bye bye.

Sorry about my english.:D

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

considering Apple basically took the idea of the GUI and mouse from Xerox I wouldn't go around bashing Microsoft for copying people's idea.

It kind of like blaming someone for offering french fries at his resturant.

3. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Do we seriously need yet another Microsoft bashing thread?

I'm going to lobby to have people publicly flogged for spelling Microsoft with a $ sign instead of an s.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

By the way, it's spelled Microsoft. How can people properly search the forum, when people intently spell words wrong like Micro$oft, WinBlows, etc? It's no wonder we have so many reposts. You have to search 10 different variations of Microsoft just to get all threads about them. :(

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Apple used ideas developed at Xerox (you can find a number of threads about this in these forums), but to me that's not enough reason not to answer the question as posed.

What Apple innovations are generally thought to have been copied by Microsoft?

Are there some thought to have gone the other way?

6. Randall macrumors 6502a

Randall

I'll tell you one thing that Apple needs to copy from Microsoft is the 3 button mouse. Ctrl-click needs to go away forever. I know they have Mighty Mouse now, but it could use a few improvements, then it should ship as the default mouse with new systems.

7. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

It is now standard with new machines (mightymouse).

8. Randall macrumors 6502a

Randall

It's about time. :p

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Multi-button mice, or using the control key to execute orders are one of several ways for something to work. You can do the same via the terminal.

All these methods of tasks are solutions to execute the same task required by the end-user.

Some people prefer to use the terminal, some the control key, and others the multi-button mice.

When you get down to it, its what one prefers and not that one is better than the other. :)

I have no problems with either options. ;)

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

No, you have grow accustom to using a multi-button mouse, that is why you do not want to change to using another method. Then again, thats like saying if you drive manual you will not enjoy automatic. :)

11. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Xerox may have come up with the idea of a GUI, but Apple made it what it is today

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Actually, the GUI concept predated Xerox. So did the mouse. Xerox was the first to implement them in a computer designed to use both. This was a big step towards proving the concept technically. Apple took the next big step of proving the concept commercially.

13. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

MS Windows is mostly based around 2 button mouses.

The X Window System, however, is based around 3 button mouses. (On 2 button mouses, a simultanious right+left click can emulate the third button).

14. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Considering Apple gave Zerox non-voting shares for the rights to the GUI and mouse, I don't think anyone should go clammering about how they "stole it" when Xerox blatently handed it over.

MS has stolen more than it's created. The Windows Operating System, for example. Look at the what, Windows 95? It had the same file system icons and more that was EXACTLY like the Mac OS.

But, at any rate, no matter how much I hate the MS corporate computing machine, I still love the Xbox and XBL.

Ms wouldn't be so bad if they just recreated their entire OS from (below) the ground and up. Maybe, not surround the entire OS around a browser? Make apps independant and not have to be based completely inside a window.

And are we still bickering about mice? Go buy a ********** multi-button mouse and be done with it already. GAH!

Anyway. I agree, it's yet ANOTHER post about this stuff. *sigh*

15. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

this is coming from a demi-god poster? first of all, the windows 95 icons look nothing like the mac os icons.

second, windows itself is pretty good the way it is right now. what microsoft needs to do is better secure internet explorer, close all ports on a default install, and discourage people from logging in as the administrator. recreating an os from the ground up is a monumental task even for microsoft given their market share. it was doable for apple because their market share is so much smaller.

third, all applications that run on an os depend on that os. although i do agree that ie should be an uninstallable program (or at least deletable).

16. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Ahhhhhh, finally a thread where all the windows lurkers can come out and express themselves, instead of just hitting the "Negative" vote. :rolleyes:

17. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

NO!!

Laptops with trackpads are infinetly more usable when control-clicking and tapping to the pad. Multiple buttons might work on a mouse, but not on a laptop. Trend is to move away from the desktop, so the one-button trackpad is still very much alive while mice and multiple buttons are more and more becoming power-user tools.

Regular people like laptops. I would never want to see an Apple laptop that has more than one trackpad button... not ever.

18. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

If you put it that way, I'd say windows is designed to be "up and running and never used". It's only good when I don't use it, I have never seen it crashing while waiting for someone to log in; but as soon as I begin to actually do something, it's always on my way. It's counter-intuitive and ugly, slow and unstable. Makes me angry.

19. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

So what have we got so far

1. Microsoft stole the GUI from Apple - who bought, borrowed or stole it from Zerox (depending which version of history you want to believe).

Yep this is looking massive.

20. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Evidently you need to steal a spell checker from someone

21. Randall macrumors 6502a

Randall

I have recently learned that you can (with the new trackpads) place 2 fingers on it and click the trackbar and get the contextual menu (equivelent of a right-mose click) so that is a good thing. I feel like I shouldn't have to use 2 hands to bring up the contextual menu on a laptop, and now I don't have to. :)

22. Randall macrumors 6502a

Randall

Ahh nothing like the sound of splitting hairs. For all intensive purposes you are correct, but since around 1998, the wheel mouse (3 button) has been widely considered standard on Windows. OS X supports 3 button mice for a reason, and it's about time Apple HW got with it, was my point. Especially since UNIX is X window system, and thus as you mentioned, a 3-button mouse is used. I know that Apple FINALLY has the Mightymouse, but it could use some improvements IMO.

23. Randall macrumors 6502a

Randall

Try Windows XP Pro w/ Service Pack 2, it will solve stability issues. If it's still unstable, then you ain't using it right. :rolleyes:

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

With the exception of "Zerox", which doesn't really count since it's a company name rather than an English word, his spelling is perfect :confused:

25. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Is this REALLY coming from an intelligent computer user?

I'm so sorry, it was Windows 2.0 that looked just like the Mac OS. Not 95. Which is why I asked what version.

Second, Windows SUCKS as it is now. The entire OS is based around Explorer. Which means that everything has the same communication points between apps (be it Explorer, Word, Outlook, etc.) which gives the OS more to exploit from a trojan/virus/spyware writer. I don't care if it's a moumental task. Re-write the damn thing so it's an OS and not a browser with a bunch of registries and wrappers built on top of it. edit: And what I mean about running apps not inside of a WINDOW, look at Media Player, which has a skin, and a window around it that dissappears. get rid of the window.

Third, not all apps that run on an OS depend on THAT OS. Do you not know the purpose of Java? Or perhaps Ruby?

edit:
    oh and read this:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/article/real-history-gui/8

Brush up on some history.