Micro SD Card Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rockthecasbah, Feb 18, 2007.

1. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I'm finally ordering my new cell phone tonight, the Moto KRZR K1 from Cingular. It has the ability to play music from its expandable Micro SD card slot and i'd like to utilize this feature. I don't know anything about Micro SDs or any of the little flash cards for that matter.

Could you please tell me what brands are good and which i should stay away from? I did a Froogle search for Micro SD 1GB cards and Kingston's Micro Digital Secure card came up for about $6, i thought the price would be a bit more. Is this a good deal? If not could someone please point me a good direction for finding a cheap but reliable card?

Thanks. (By the way, if you click the froogle search link it takes you to the search so you don't have to type anything ;) )

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've got that same card in my Blackberry and it works fine.

3. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I just bought a 512 MicroSD card from Newegg for something like $7.99.

It's a little more than the price you quoted but I trust newegg so I'm willing to pay a little more.

4. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

thanks for the help, i ended up going with this Kingston card from Amazon.com, only $6.30 before shipping!

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm still bowled over whenever I see a MicroSD card, my phone (ROKR) and Nintendo DS M3 adapter both take them. Currently using 2 1gb cards. Both Toshiba's, about £15 each here. They seem more compatible across the board than SD cards so I don't think branding matters much.

6. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

MicroSD cards (especially 1GB) can be had for FREE after rebates. 2GB ones are about $38 and dropping in price like its hot. So the price of $6 seems about right. I purchased the Kingston MicroSD from Newegg only 4 months ago for $33!!

7. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

That is quite incredible considering here in Canada Future Shop and Best Buy etc charge about $30 for a 1GB card and sometimes up to $70 for a 2GB card.

8. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

The odd thing is that in larger retailers such as Best Buy and Circuit City (I looked on both companies' sites), they do not list these same incredible deals as are seen on many smaller internet-only stores and larger ones like Amazon, Buy.com, or New Egg. Just today 1GB cards listed for no lower than $30-40 on BB and CC, whereas they were obviously much cheaper on these sites...

I guess the general joe schmoes they think will buy memory cards will go with name recognition and convenience and not shop around? I guess if they can manage to make a decent profit they're doing something right...

9. nfgjah63 macrumors newbie

Microsd

Hey!
    I saw this and thought I'd help. I just bought a Transcend MicroSD 8GB flash card for 20 dollars off of ebay and that was free shipping!
    I suggest checking those sites like ebay and amazon and you may get luck a lotof them are buy it nows, just check your storage and you should be getting a good deal! :) Good luck!!

10. Love macrumors 68000

Love

This astounds me... how do you not notice that this is from 2007?