Micro vs. new SP

Discussion in 'Games' started by kingcrowing, Jan 23, 2006.

1. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I know I've asked questions like this before, but, assuming size is no issues (I normally carry around my DS, anything smaller would be fine) what would you prefer... a micro, or an SP w/ the new brighter backlight display?

2. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I really like my gameboy micro. The faceplates are great, it's very small, the screen is super bright and has a bunch of brightness settings. The casing is metal, and feels sturdy, and comfortable.

3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I would say SP. Even though the Micro is way cool, the screen is smaller (still great though) and it is really small. It may be uncomfortable for some. Both are great. I believe you can't play GB & GBC games on the micro. If you got the extra money, I would say go for the Limited Edition Micro, it's really sleek. Either choice is a win.

4. cubist macrumors 68020

I'd say SP, too. The icons in Advance Wars 2 are tiny enough already, I can't imagine playing it on a Micro. The screen on the new brighter SP is so bright and beautiful it makes the DS look drab.

5. shake macrumors regular

new sp with backlit screen all the way!

i tried the micro and the new backlit sp back to back at EBgames...

the bigger screen of the sp is much better. and now that it's backlit it looks gorgeous. and the folding clamshell design is great because it protects the screen when not in use. the micro's screen will probably get scratched up pretty easily in your pocket.

the micro is cool too. just not for me

6. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

alright, cool, I love the style and stuff of the micro, its really cool, but it seems like the larger, brighter, screen on the new SP would be better for games like pokemon, zelda, etc that use a lot of text and smaller icons

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

tough one. The Micro is very small, very light, extremely portable. the SP doesn't feel as nice and is less portable and plays games from the 80's.

I can't decide.

8. shake macrumors regular

what??? you do know that the micro plays gameboy advance games ?
    the micro plays all those same 80's games. it does not play DS games y'know.

9. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

The lack of compatibility with GB & GBC games would push me towards the SP (I've got many a GBC game that I don't want to lose). :p

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You misunderstand.
    The Micro doesn't play 80's games (aka; original GB games), it plays ports (NES Classic) and other games through emulation and flash carts.
    The SP DOES play GB games. at least my collection of about 15 GB games all work fine.

11. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

well, I just started playing DS games again, I think I will just stick to my DS for GBA games, at least for now, $80 will buy like 3-4 GBA/DS games... so I think I'll wait for a while, perhaps a new version of the DS will come out (smaller form factor...) and I'll get that instead

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm loving the SP because of the clamshell so the micro dont interest me....i think the SP is small enough.

New SP?? theres a new sp?

Bless

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The new SP is just the old one with a muchly enhanced screen. its a lot brighter than even the Micro screen (so I hear) and a lot more colourful.

I keep banging on about the Micro being my favourite GBA but if I worry what I'd do if I saw one of these new SP's :eek:

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The Big N never stop churning them out....thats why i love em. The GBA SP is so cool and fun to play...if i can pry it out of my friend hands.

Bless

15. benpatient macrumors 68000

naw, the micro screen is brighter, still...

if you turn up the brightness, anyway.

honestly, the micro feels more solid...unless you need it for GBC/GB games, or your hands are really big, the micro is too cool and tiny not to get. especially if it's your first GB system.

in my opinion, anyway...