Microcenter - not a bad Mac store

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nagromme, Oct 9, 2005.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I finally wandered into my local Microcenter, curious to see how much Mac stuff they have. (Normally I go to CompUSA, the Apple Store, or simply Amazon online.)

Answer: a lot! In some areas, more selection than the Apple Store or CompUSA even. Prices were pretty standard.

It's a separate glassed in area, out of the traffic, but pretty large and seems to have its own (non-Apple) staff. I can't comment on their knowledge, but they were friendly.

The whole Microcenter experience is a little chaotic and disorderly, but they've got the goods. Lots of software and even a section of clearance software--older games etc.--that aren't bad buys. And TONS of accessories, everything imaginable for iPods and Macs. Some cool Mac-centric gizmos I'd never seen anywhere else, fun to browse. Books also.

As for the stuff on display--they had it all. PowerMacs with 30" displays, iPod nanos, iPod speaker systems, every size PowerBook and iBook, both sizes of iMac, eMac, and even a Mac Mini hooked up to a 1280x768 flat panel TV, which was actually a pretty cool setup. The weren't running nice clean demos like Apple does, but they were in working order and had stuff to play with. One was set up with GarageBand and a music keyboard.

All in all, better than I would have expected. An unexpected new source when I need something for my Mac. Sadly, unlike at CompUSA, the Mac section was a ghost town. Nobody in there but me. And outside the Mac area the only Mac stuff to be found was a display of accessories for Mac Minis and iPods.

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i've went to the one sorta near me in NY a few years ago. the store was a mess, if you can find what your looking for its not bad but i rather go to to apple store or if worse comes to worse compusa.

3. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

At least you people have options to shop for Apple products locally. We have nothing here, other than re-branded iPods at WalMart and etc. All purchases have to be made online.

4. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

The one in Westbury, Long Island is awful. Horrible selection and tons of really old stuff like Apple Laser printer toner cartridges, ImageWriter LQ ribbons, ADB stuff. I did pick up a nice neoprene sleeve for my iBook for like 20 bucks. Haven't wandered in for a year now. CompUSA and the Apple Store are a few miles away.

5. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

They did have some odd things like SCSI cables now that you mention it. But mostly new stuff. Some branches are probably better than others, just like with CompUSA.

I'd got to the Apple Store or CompUSA first (real Apple staff), but if Microcenter was closer (or had the item in stock), they're good to have as an additional option. More Mac stores = more convenience. In my case, Microcenter is a 2 minute walk, I just never went in before!

I almost picked up Black & White, Platinum Edition.

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

that's the one i went to.....

7. kibit macrumors member

kibit

Microcenter

AH, I like Microcenter. I've had really good luck there, just yesterday I needed an ADC to VGA adaptor, my first stop was the Apple store, but they didn't have it. Knowing that Microcenter usually has a lot of old mac stuff there, I was lucky enough to pick up the last one.

Also, don't knock them off your list for Apple events either, when Panther was released, I picked up my copy the day after at Microcenter, and they were giving away a t-shirt, mousepad and a USB pen drive when you bought the OS.

For the Tiger event, they offered a $50 dollar rebate if you purchased it within 3 days.

They also on occasions offer 12 month no interest on Macs.

So consider that, if you have one near you.

just my 2cents

8. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Cool--I wouldn't have thought about special events.

How were the events promoted? Announced at microcenter.com? Or did you just wander in and get lucky?

9. kibit macrumors member

kibit

I read about the Panther event here, so when the Tiger event was coming up, I visited their website. :)