Microphone for Garage Band

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by dfath, Dec 8, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Dec 8, 2008

I am looking to buy a microphone to use with garage band. I am not a musician and will be using the microphone to record audio content about real estate investing that I will be selling once I turn them into CD's. I will also be using it for podcasts too.

Can you recommend an affordable microphone that will still deliver great quality for the needs I have?

2. macrumors 6502a

Oct 28, 2007
    Leeds, UK

you should check out the Samson USB CO1U microphone. it's a really simple mic that just plugs straight into your usb port.

alternatively, alot of companies are selling their own 'podcast' kits which would also work fine. Behringer, Alesis and M-Audio all sell them and they may well work out cheaper, when you consider you'll need to buy a stand for your mic, maybe headphones and maybe a pop shield?

if you're in the US, the only site i really know is musiciansfriend.com

but if you're in the UK check out gak.co.uk, dv247.com or dawsons.co.uk

3. macrumors regular

Oct 15, 2008
    Leeds, UK
    Irrespective of what you buy in the end, you should check this article out about spoken word recording: http://www.audiocourses.com/article93.html

As far as Mic choice goes, there is a little section in the article about microphone types, however if you're not a musician it might not mean a great deal to you. The samson usb mic is probably a good recommendation, i've heard a few good things about it. All depends on budget really, if you've got money to spend on a decent mic/want to spend money on a decent mic, go for it. If you've got some budget information, we can probably help you out a bit better.
  4. macrumors newbie

Oct 19, 2008
    check out all this useful review stuff on mics,plus there are some great sessions you can download and mix yourself on the Sessions page http://www.recording-microphones.co.uk/

good luck