Microphone Help Please!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by djtet, Dec 22, 2003.

1. djtet macrumors regular

Why can I not get sound out of my microphone? I originally had a very old, cheap logitec desk mic that worked fine on my pc. I tried to plug it into my g4 powermac and it didn't work. Then I got a an audio adapter that fits 1/8 inch mono jack and accepts a 1/4 inch mono plug, which I used to plug in a standard microphone (cheap priddis brand one).
    My mac won't recognize these mics and when I try to record in imovie, the selection to record is greyed out!
    Anyone, please help!
    Thanks,
    Dan

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Re: Microphone Help Please!

Well first, you can't get sound OUT of a mic (well technically you can if you run it backwards, but let's ignore that) so I'm assuming you mean you can't get sound IN from your mic. The first thing that comes to mind is to check your sys.pref sound pane. You must select external mic there to have it switch from the internal mic.

3. djtet thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: Microphone Help Please!

no External mic shows up in the system preferences...?

4. sahnert macrumors 6502

I assume you are running OSX. Go into utilities in the applications folder and go to Audio Midi Setup. Then select the Line In for Input Source and click playthrough if you want to hear it out of the speakers before recording. This should work. If not maybe your adapter doesn't work.

5. djtet thread starter macrumors regular

Tried it and it still doesn't work...something's just not right...

6. sahnert macrumors 6502

probably a dumb question, but are you sure you are plugged into the right 1/8" jack on the computer? I don't own a tower so I don't know what the soundcard is like.
    Also have you tried using the adapter in another application to make sure it is not the problem, like with headphones or an instrument etc.?
    Again I don't know what the soundcard in aG$ tower is like, but on some pc soundcards the jack itself is just crappy and you have to jiggle the thing around a bit to get it to work. Don't know what else it might be. Maybe a bad cord or something.
    Oh, also like the other poster mentioned you have to make sure in System Prefs that you have Line-In selected under the input tab and the input volume is high enough.

7. djtet thread starter macrumors regular

I tried...

I've tried all these things and it just doesn't work. Now I'm thinking because it's a refurbished machine, from apple, that maybe there is a problem with the jack or something...

8. Killswitch macrumors newbie

at first blush

it seems that you might want to try a Pre-Amp of some form. Perhaps a griffin iMIC usb interface.

A microphone produces a very weak signal, and is inappropriate for LINE level inputs. Now, if you have a microphone input...that should work fine. If not... get a pre-amp.

Provided of course that your microphone is in working order, and the microphone cable/connector is intact.

.02 cents

9. djtet thread starter macrumors regular

Are there any other alternatives to the imic?

If this is the case and because of power issues, the mic cannot be plugged into the line in...then what devices would one plug into this port? What is this port used for?

PS...I've tested the mic and it works and the converter works as well...

10. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

how about a USB mic?

I use a labtec USB microphone and it works great. I just went to www.froogle.com and typed "USB microphone" and immediately found a whole bunch in the $20-30 range.

Matthew