Microphone Preamps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by braboin, Dec 26, 2004.

1. braboin macrumors newbie

Dear Friends,
    Do any of you forum folks had any experience with inexpensive mic (tubed) preamps. I have been interested in the devices but am through buying on chance. Do they actually enhance the mic signals in a positive way. Any advise would be appreciated.
    Bob

2. TheBunnellFarm macrumors regular

Me too !!!!!

Those who know these music production things, with as many variables as there are, have an overview and understanding that is hard to communicate to us newcomers.

We do appreciate your attemps.

We newcomers need to band together and get to forums exclusive to our needs in this complex endever.

We will be the "knowing" in a few short months.;

Can anybody direct us to more forums and chats, I can't seem to build a rapore anywhere so far..Thanks, Tom

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

The best audio forum is at osxaudio.com, they have some very knowlegable types.

We're not bad over here at Macrumors, some very good audio people, but it's not a dedicated audio site.

Braboin:

As to tube pre-amps, the good ones are expensive and in the end it's a matter of choice what sounds good, plus you'll need a very good mic to take advantage of the sound quality.

Plugging an SM58 into a tube pre-amp will not make the SM58 sound much better than it already does, a good condernsor mic will benefit.

If you're definitely decided on a tube pre-amp, Samson do a very nice cheap one, and it has a digital output on it too.