microphone?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by synthetickittie, Feb 9, 2003.

1. synthetickittie macrumors regular

I was woundering if any microphone came with powermacs?... Im going to be doing some video conferensing when I get it and I just bought a webcam for it. If not I'll just add a 30 dollar one onto my order because I do need it, I mean whats good about having a webcam and video conferensing with people not having a mic? lol

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

No microphone with my new dual 1.25....
    Don't you have a USB webcam with mic built in? That's much easier.

3. synthetickittie thread starter macrumors regular

the web cam I ordered off of apple's site is the Unibrain FireWire WebCam. It says nothing about a mic built in

4. vanillamike macrumors regular

I think he meant some USB webcams have a microphone. I have a Logitech Quickcam zoom and it came with a built in microphone.

Hey not to highjack this thread but has anyone who is using a logitech webcam and the ioxperts OSX support drivers been able to use the mic on their webcam? I wish stupid logitech would make a damn OSX driver.

Oh also I was wondering is the differnce between a USB webcam and a Firewire webcam like night and day? and is that difference dependent on how fast the internet connection is? I have been thinking of "switching; ;) .

Thanks,
    Mike

5. synthetickittie thread starter macrumors regular

I only know of what Ive read because I have yet to have a firewire webcam(it should be here tomorrow)... but of what I have read its suppost to be a lot better with high rez on pictures and video

6. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

USB Webcam = Lower bandwidth, lower FPS
    FireWire Webcam = Much higher bandwidth, 30+ FPS

I'd go for a FireWire Webcam - as it is, I use my Sony DCR-PC100E as a web camera through the i-Link (4 pin FireWire) port, and it's excellent.

Microphones are easy to get. If you don't have an audio in/out in your Mac, get an iMic from www.griffintechnology.com - they'll give you a mic/line level input and output, and will take any type of incoming sound source (i.e. a microphone), as long as you have adaptors to turn the input into a 3/8" jack.

:)