Microsoft 04 Student Edition....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ID008, Oct 23, 2006.

1. ID008 macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2006
    Is there anything different or excluded from standard version considering the huge price difference?

I'm about to buy the Student Edition since I'm in real need for a powerful word processor. I tried NeoOffice, Open Office, and pages. None really seem to have the amount of features as Word.

I've also heard the Mac version is not as powerful overall as the PC version. Is this true? Microsoft Office is the #1 program I use for school work and related school materials which is a lot of what I use my computer for.
  2. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    No difference between standard and student.

Have no idea a bout the Mac version, I am very used to OfficeXP so I am using it with CrossOver. Works well.
  3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    As far as power differences between PC and Mac versions, I've used Mac Office 2004 in a business corporation vastly dominated by Windows systems for over 2 years. Entourage works great with our Exchange server with full calendar scheduling, and I've created and exchanged PPT, XLS, and DOC files on a daily basis with no compatibility issues at all. I have found no shortcomings at all, including some of the more advanced features such as spreadsheet pivot tables.
  4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    I will say actually that MS for Mac is a very good buy and nothing is missing with the student version. I will however say that there is a limitation with the mac version that I see on the windows version. On windows in Word you can tell one page to be landscape and the next be portrait. This is great for writing large papers that include graphs and such. I have not yet found a way to do this with word for a mac. The option to change the orientation came under page setup and there'd be a box that says "apply to page only" or whatever.
    Anyway for me this is a bummer so I usually go to work and set up my pages then come home and fix whatever else needs fixing.
  5. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    I have actually run into some compatibility problems between Word(mac) and Word(PC) specifically opening Word documents created on PCs with embedded pictures. I think Microsoft is really going to try to fix this when they release Office 2007 for Mac (in UB as well). I will probably buy then (June I think).

BUT, pdfs are more accepted than .docs, IMO.
  6. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    We all have unique experiences. However, I have never had this one. To the contrary, I have better luck using my Mac to open Word files created on a Windows computer than using a Windows computer to open a Word file created using a different version of Word:win.
  7. VanNess macrumors 6502a

Mar 31, 2005
    Jobs himself has publicly praised Office for the Mac on several occasions. Considering what he usually reserves for Microsoft (publicly), that's a pretty good endorsement.
  8. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    Am I the only one who actually likes Office for Windows better? It always seems much faster to me..
  9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Honestly can't stand Office for Windows, while I think the Mac version is very good.
  10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Just stating the obvious - Office Mac (whatever version) does not have MS Access that the Windows full version does.
    Outlook is different than Entourage.