Microsoft Access on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Daveman Deluxe, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I searched and was having a heck of a time finding anything.

A friend of mine needs to work with XML databases in Access. He has Office v.X Student and Teacher edition. Does he need Office 2004 to use Access, and if so, does he need to buy Office Standard, Office Professional, or Office Student and Teacher (he's a college student so he qualifies). Any answers would be much appreciated.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There is no Access for Macintosh as long as there is FileMaker. Apple and Microsoft have had an agreement for quite a while.

I'm not sure about the other databases available but there should be a few with XML support.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

True. Our Office 2004 Pro multi-licence CD didn't come with Access -- just Word, Excel, Powerpoint & Entourage.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yep no MS Access for mac, but there is Filemaker, which is pretty good from what i hear

5. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Your friend either needs a PC (alone or through Remote Desktop Connection) or virtual PC, and a copy of Access for Windows. I briefly looked this up through Google a while ago, and found no straightforward method to translate Filemaker and Access databases between the two formats.

I use Access infrequently within VPC (windows 2000 - I see only cons with using any other windows OS), and while I wouldn't call it fast, it is usable.

6. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Thanks for the replies. Actually, he has a PC. His Mac is the iBook I gave him about seven months ago when I bought my PowerBook. He loves the iBook and does a lot of his work on it, especially on the road--he was just hoping he could do just a little bit more with it.