Microsoft access

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LastLine, Oct 18, 2005.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

So here's the situation,

Using MS Access on Windows at college this semester, but would really like to continue my work on the iBook. Any way of doing this?

2. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I guess that's possible but hardly desirable. Would ideally like a piece of apple software, though I doubt there is such a thing. I have a windows tablet I'm using at the minute, but the thought just crossed my mind :)

3. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

As far as I know, there isn't a program that could natively open .mdb files on Mac OS X. There is actually one that's under development, but I don't know what happened to it. I'll try looking for it again...

Edit: Looks like OpenOffice BASE supports MS Access files natively: http://www.openoffice.org/product2/base.html

4. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

For curiousity's sake, what's the main Database program for OS X?

5. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

Filemaker, you could find it right here: http://www.filemaker.com/ It's made by Apple

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

For my state-mandated "learn how to use windows and even though you're a freaking computer nerd who is fluent in both os x and windows, you're still gonna get a 90 in the class" class, we have to learn MS Access.
    I googled around for why a version of OS X doesn't exist... I read that Mac processors aren't made for databases...

I thought that was kinda weird..

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Well, read this...

I am running Oracle 10g on a Xserve G5 at work and it is 3 times faster than the Sun Solaris 10 with twice the CPUs costing over 100K. It blows away any Windows NT server that I have worked on in the past.

I haven't liked any of the Access equivalents available for the Mac yet. It is weaker than the gaming situation.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There are and have been excellent DBMS on the Mac. Apple's own Filemaker subsidiary is most popular on the platform and second most popular on Windows. There is the fantastic 4th Dimension. New Macs ship with OpenBase. M$ Access is a steaming pile and a monument to the power of the Windows/Office duopoly. Access was one of the worst titles ever released on the software market. If Microsoft had not bundled it with Office, it would have been forgotten long ago. Bob would be a fond memory by comparison.