Microsoft Acquires Danger, Inc (Sidekick)

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

In industry related news, Microsoft announced on Monday that they had acquired Danger, Inc. Danger is the company responsible for the popular Sidekick marketed through T-Mobile.

Terms of the purchase were not disclosed. The founders of Danger previously worked at Apple as engineers before leaving to found the company. Some see this is a response to the Apple's recent success:
    Article Link
  2. macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2005
    Danger is not the only one making Sidkicks Sharp actually made a few and most notably Moto made one also.
  3. macrumors regular

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I'm interested to see what this will do to apple, Probably nothing.
    Microsoft is desperate for anything right now.
  4. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    That's the first time this has happened. :rolleyes:
  5. macrumors member

Feb 9, 2003
    Now all of the sidekick kids can get the sidekick 4 in poop brown to match thier Zune!!!!!!
  6. macrumors newbie

Jul 26, 2007
    BAHAHAHA! Why is Microsoft trying so hard to copy Apple? Are they really unable to come up with new ideas on their own? Someone should tell them that copying a great company, like Apple, is worse than coming up with something on their own and failing. Another one of Microsoft's problems is that they are just thinking about the NOW when Apple is always thinking about the future (fast money). No one will want a big bulky phone in a few months when they can have something as slim as like the iPhone. I think that Sidekicks would slowly fade out if the iPhone was available for all cell phone companies and if it wasn't so breakable.

:apple: FTW
  7. macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I have the Sidekick 3 more than a year now. It's a decent device, but heavily tied into the T-mobile/Danger services. It's sad to see MS took over Danger.

MS is really into the teens market now?
  8. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Steve Wozniak was on Danger's board, BTW. May still be.
  9. macrumors regular

Nov 8, 2005
    This is a sad sad day. Apparently Sony Ericsson has also joined with Microsoft to develop phones with Windows Mobile. So basically soon there will only be a handful of mobile operating systems and the innovation will be lost. I am not quite sure what they are aiming to do here, are Microsoft trying to capture the youth market as well as the business/smartphone market? The danger os is actually really well designed, better than just about any other mobile os, it is simple, stable, but has a lot of nice touches in it's operation. It doesn't look very Apple like, but fundamentally it is surprisingly similar. This is a sad day where an elegant well thought out operating environment has been purchased by Microsoft to then be butchered and converted to a 'teen windows mobile'

Not Happy
  10. macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

Feb 4, 2007
    CANADA? eh?
  11. macrumors newbie

Jan 23, 2003
    Chicargo, IL USA
    Pooper brown, indeed

I am thinking it will be a zhone... :rolleyes:
  12. macrumors 6502

Jul 23, 2007
    This time next year it will be rebranded ZunePhone, and the pundits will be calling it the "iPhone Killer," and rational people everywhere will scratch their heads and wonder how exactly they think this ZunePhone is going to completely obliterate the iPhone market, or do they actually mean to say "iPhone Competitor?" But the other 90% of the population will be all like "Ohhh, Apple had better watch out!" And Steve Jobs will catch a glimpse of it on engadget and snarf his tofu. Don't laugh while you're eating, Steve!

The Zune and now this ZunePhone always make me think of Krispy Kreme's complete and utter failure to set up a Canadian operation. Anyone in Canada remember when Krispy Kreme came and everyone was all like "Ohhh, Tim Horton's had better watch out!" That worked out well for them, didn't it?

KK didn't understand that market any better than MS understands cell phones or music players, but they came flouncing in with all the hubris and cockiness they could muster. They were the Zune of doughnuts. And that was their problem: they thought we all wanted coffee and doughnuts, but what we really wanted was coffee, a bagel and chili. (And maybe a doughnut, but only if nobody's watching). :)

So yeah, that's where I see this phone going under Microsoft. A few people standing by the conveyor belt saying, "Oooh! Run mine through the glaze a few more times!" while the rest of us kind of shudder and look away.
  13. macrumors newbie

Sep 24, 2003
    How sad. Another innovative small company with creative ideas snatched up by microsoft. The sidekick interface is at least attractive and fun to use, I guess that will be replaced by Windows Mobile, yuck.
  14. macrumors 68030

Sep 6, 2007
    I agree 150%! Microsoft has missed the mark so many times on their own... it seems the only thing they can do is copy anymore. It's sad.
  15. macrumors 6502

Jan 14, 2006
    Frankly, most of the cell phone OSes suck, have sucked, and will continue to suck. They have engineers creating interfaces. So with the gazillion interfaces out there, there hasn't been much innovation up to this point.

That is why Apple products do so well: simplicity. I recently bought a t-mobile dash running windows mobile 6. WOW it is hard to do anything. It really does have some great features, but you can't find any of them. It is incredibly unintuitive. I feel sorry for non tech people and most mobile phones out there.

Windows Mobile could be a pretty great OS, if they hired two common sense people to create a more intuitive interface for it.
  16. macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2003
    I have a Sidekick. It was great a few years ago (I had the first B&W version, then upgraded to V2 when color came out), but it's a piece of crap, really.
  17. macrumors G4

Nov 7, 2007
    New Sanfrakota
    I had the sidekick 2 and 3 before I got the iPhone. I was never able to get into the treo/blackberry thing so it was the sidekick that did it for me. However, it's now nothing compared to the iPhone (not to mention being a ghetto device to due to its popularilty with the low class) and its built quality has gone downhill (as anybody who's had the original Sidekick 2 and Sharp Sidekick 3 would know).
  18. macrumors 6502

Sep 6, 2007
    I have a Sidekick lx,their keyboard is great when your an avid texter, but the os sucks, not to mention the web browser, people complain the iphone on edge is slow, well on the sidekick it's slower and it don't even render full web pages.
  19. macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

Feb 4, 2007
    CANADA? eh?
    this is funny

Apple + At&t iPhone

20. macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    it just seems that Microsoft has money to spend and are buying whomever they can? with hopes that it works out in the end.
  21. macrumors 68020

Dec 29, 2003
    West Coast
    And what's your point?

Isn't it Apple + T-Mobile in Germany?

22. macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2000
    California, Austria, Arkansas
    Of course the founders of Danger were not only former Apple employees, but more importantly, one of them (Andy Rubin) now is the head of Google's Android platform -- basically the guy who first dreamt up the Sidekick, and later the Android mobile platform. And yes, he worked for Apple and General Magic in the 90's, and later started WebTV which was ironically sold to Micro$oft, too.
  23. macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    "anymore"? What was their first product? MS-DOS? They didn't even write that they bough it from Digital Reaserach. Nothing new here, MS as usual.
  24. macrumors member

Jul 5, 2006
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I've never seen the appeal of something like the sidekick. Always just assumed it was a teenager thing.
  25. macrumors 6502

Oct 30, 2007
    Christmas Island
    Not quite.

Danger makes the OS that is on every sidekick/hiptop, not the actual device.

Sharp has traditionally manufactured the sidekick/hiptop, but motorola has manufactured one, dubbed the sidekick slide if I'm not mistaken.

This is pretty sad, Danger was a good company. I will absolutely be breaking my T-Mobile contract in March, selling my Sidekick 3 and pick up an iPhone.