Microsoft and Intel to support HD-DVD, not Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jamdr, Sep 26, 2005.

1. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Microsoft and Intel will be supporting Toshiba's HD-DVD format and not Sony's Blu-ray format for next-generation high-definition storage. Interesting that Apple (among many other hardware companies) have pledged to support Blu-ray. I wonder how this format war will turn out--Sony doesn't exactly have a good track record in this area.

2. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I like the sound of Blu-Ray in that it actually seems to be a revolutionary (rather than evolutionary) technology, but I hate to admit that this is probably a death-sentence for it.

Microsoft and, to a lesser extent, Intel will always play to the lowest common denominator in order to maximize profits.

In the end, actual technological development loses out, thus so does the consumer. I don't believe it's any mistake that Apple is supporting what appears to be the superior though less market-friendly product.

3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I am afraid it means that Blu-Ray is pretty much dead. :(

4. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I'd have to agree, sadly.

Das pisst mich an!

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

good! i prefer the sound of HD-DVD. just seems cheaper, which usually always does best (the GC being the only cheap thing that sold fewer than its competitors, only thing i can think of right now!).

Blu-Ray now becomes another Minidisc or UMD. good, but not the mainstream.

6. TheT macrumors 6502

Hey, watch your language ;) There are German readers here who understand what you're saying :p

7. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I hate to argue about technological promises, but that is not the way to look at it.

First of all, Minidisc and UMD were efforts to fill niches that never really existed in the first place.

Blu Ray appears to be a very deliberate step into the future of recordable media, while HD-DVD is a timid one.

HD-DVD is just another example of Wal*Mart economics prevailing over the innovation supposedly inherent to a "free market."

8. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Hehe. :D I'm sorry.

Es tut mir leid.

Somehow that phrase seemed more appropriate then anything in English.

9. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I agree!

I'm a firm supporter of Blu-Ray technology, and I don't think that Microsoft is in as strong as a position as they were a short time ago. It's really up to the consumer who determines the format war. Remember, there are lots of technologies that Microsoft poopooed, but later implemented in their OS (and probably said they helped invent that technology because of it :rolleyes: )

10. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

The link for the original article isn't working for me, so I couldn't read the original story. But why would Microsoft & Intel have the ability to squash Blu-Ray?

The driving force of this technology would be people watching HD movies on their home theater systems, not their PC's. Microsoft & Intel don't make DVD players.

I think the biggest driving force will be the content providers (i.e., the movie studios), not the hardware manufacturers. Especially not computer hardware manufacturers. People will buy the players that play what they want to watch, not the other way around.

11. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

"Pisst me on!"? I don't think the translator widget understands what you are saying.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

EXACTLY! this is what i've been saying since the Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD war began! Blu-Ray is supposed to cost more, both the discs and the player, than HD-DVD right?
    Why would the public (the public, not techie Mac folk) want to pay more for a disc that plays a movie in a high resolution? if these are both released at the same time then i fear strongly for Blu-Ray. only a minority would pay more.

right?

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Remember that Apple is supporting HD-DVD as well. Yes, I know they announced Blu-ray support recently but they were supporting HD-DVD as well since the beginning.

14. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Hit the nail on the head. Blu-ray will cost about 1.7 million dollars per line to implement, versus about $150,000 for HD-DVD. While I'm pretty much to the point that I wish someone would give up, I think that HD-DVD has huge advantages in cost and production time.

Read this.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/next-gen-dvd.ars/1

15. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

16. jamdr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Looks like this got put on the first page--too bad they didn't combine threads.

17. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I guess I've outsmarted the widget. :D

Actually, it's pretty much equivalent to the English "That pisses me off!"

As far as translators go, they'll never be able to get German prepositions right because they don't translate directly into English.

Example: "auf" can mean for, upon, in, and some other things

18. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I hope HD-DVD wins. It's backwards compatible with DVD, and cheaper to produce which will hopefully be cheaper to purchase.

19. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Everyone who is rooting for Blu-Ray is using the same faulty logic that was used to poo-poo the iPod mini vs the regular iPods.

When it comes to consumer goods, storage space takes a backseat to price. HD-DVD is cheaper to produce, therefore, it will be the dominant format for consumers, plus the name resonants better with consumers. Consumers know what HD is and they know what DVD is. Put one and one together and it makes sense for them. Tell them what "bluray" is and they'll say 'WTF? OMG BBQ !!1!!!!!11!'.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree. I don't want to have to have a bunch of separate machines.

21. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Is it really going to be that big of a deal. Those one or the other really have to die out. Already Blu-Ray has a foot hold with the PS3 and such. If everyone drops their pledge to Blu-Ray at least it still has Sony to cram it down everyones throat.

I agree with everyone that HD-DVD with trounce BR but would it be that hard to just make a combo drive for all this. 99% of the population doesn't care what HD-DVD or BR is just as long as it works.

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Shocked...shocked! I am that Microsoft has backed an inferior product. :eek: :D

23. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Oh, me as well. I've had to do a lot of soul searching...

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Read the Ars article above. It also mentions DRM issues. The funny part is, M$ is fighting for mandatory copying rights. In other words, you have to be able to make at least one copy of a disc you buy, unlike today when it's illegal even for your own use. I'm sure it's just some evil plot to control the world :p but I gotta go with them on this. Plus it's cheaper and backwards compatible. Blu-Ray sounds great and all, but it's got BetaMax written all over it.

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well personally i'm for hd-dvd as well.. so far the only argument for blue ray is more space (what's the ratio at the moment ? 25 to 30 gb ? or something like that ? i'm not talking about what they could achieve in labs with caddy discs)

on the other side HD-DVD discs offer a thicker protection layer, are cheaper to produce (production lines as said before) and it's easier to create backward compatible drives

and while i don't love microsoft they have to be considered as the marketing force they are

at the moment i think the opinion swings back from blue ray to hd-dvd being the format of choice