Microsoft Announces 2nd Generation Zune Music Player

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 2, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Microsoft announced three new models of its Zune music player on Tuesday. The new models mirror Apple's iPod Nano and iPod lines by introducing a flash-based 4GB/8GB at $149 and $199 along with a larger 80GB hard-drive based model at $249. The previous 30GB Zune will continue to be sold at $199.99, and receive a software update bringing it up to par with the new Zune features.

[​IMG]

All Zunes feature Wi-Fi connectivity for sharing songs as well as automatic wireless syncing to PCs. Over the air purchasing, however, is not presently available on the new Zunes. Other features include a touch-sensitive navigation button allowing users to slide their finger up/down/left/right to navigate around the screen.

In addition, Microsoft also announced that they would be selling more than 1 million songs in DRM-free MP3 format. They've also introduced podcasts and music videos selections. Wired's hands on with the units also describe a new social networking site called Zune Social which compiles a list songs you play on your PC or Zune so friends can see what you are listening to.

Microsoft has reportedly sold 1.2 million Zunes since its launch in November 2006.

Article Link

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

No OS X support. :(

3. macrumors newbie

4. macrumors 68000

kuebby

I would probably get one of those if they were real.

5. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yeah, that sux. But WiFi syncing and a DRM-free store (or rather a store with some DRM-free songs). Apple will have to up the ante on the next gen.

6. macrumors 65816

haiggy

That is the funniest product EVER

7. macrumors newbie

kissmyaxe

Hahahaha, gotta love good ol' Micro$oft... :D

8. macrumors newbie

I gotta say Nice customer service

Wow. A free update for old Zunes.

Wouldn't it be nice if Apple could emulate this. The inner workings of the 5.5G iPod and the 6G iPod are the same. Why can't apple send an update so 5.5G iPod owners could also get the new interface?

This is a plus for Zune.

9. macrumors 6502a

Sayer

On the one hand, the features/specs are still lackluster compared to even 4G iPods. On the other hand, with Apple locking up a lot of UI/design patents in the iPod (scroll wheel, menu system, et al.) there really isn't much wiggle room to compete head on with the iPod.

And what is with the green colored Zunes? It kinda looks like a Halo-edition Zune, but, not.

And the dock/pad thing is HUGE. WTF?

10. macrumors 68040

How do you know? And Apple has already done this before: 5G iPods got many of the features that were introduced in 5.5G.

11. macrumors member

Awesome site. Try and order one......lol.

12. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Give me OS X support and I'm there!

13. macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Is it just me or does the new Zune remind you of "The Chocolate" by Verizon? Especially the black and pink ones.

14. macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Direct competitor with iPod Touch?

I DON"T THINK SO!

15. macrumors 601

DMann

Admission

Yes, that they admit their BETA release was just that.......... and less.

16. macrumors G5

nagromme

Wireless sync? Sounds vaguely cool... and pretty minor in practice.

You have to plug in to charge anyway. Synching then happens automatically, in seconds, long before charging is done. No buttons to press or user intervention needed. Charge and forget.

Wireless sync might or might not need user intervention to trigger it... but it won't do much for your battery. You're still going to have to plug in to charge.

I wonder how the flash Zune's screen size (and overall device volume/thinness) compares to the new video Nanos.

As for sliding up/down/left/right... I don't see that allowing intuitive uninterrupted scrolling of LONG content lists, the way a wheel (or multitouch) does.

EDIT - Wasn't Microsoft trying to get some other term to catch on in place of "podcast"? :D

17. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I still prefer the iPod touch to these, but I would definitally consider one over a different iPod if they had OS X support. I think that these are the best competition to the iPods currently out there.

18. macrumors 68030

I have to say, this looks like a nice solid update for the Zune. However, the navigation on the bottom looks somewhat off in the picture. Perhaps it looks better in person. But still, it doesn't matter... because iPod FTW! :)

Edit: Just checked them out at Zune.net. I actually like the old design more. The buttons on the bottom look like oversized bubbles.

19. macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

I must admit, I'm a little bit impressed. The new zunes are much much less complet crap compared to the first generation ones. :D

20. macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Do they really call is squirting? Honestly, if a brown Zune squirts . . . . . .

Somedays I really wish I had photoshop :)

21. macrumors 6502

It is becoming obvious that if the iTMS continues to be primarily a DRM shop, the iTMS is doomed.

First Amazon goes MP3 and now Microsoft.

I'm not really sure Apple cares a whole lot. I don't think they need the iTMS at all. Still, it would be a shame if they aren't able to negotiate the same agreement with the record companies that Amazon and M$ were able to put into place.

22. macrumors 601

DMann

Brilliant

Very practical..... I'd order one.

23. macrumors demi-god

The Bad Guy

As crap as I know they are...I can't help but think the black one on the left, looks kinda pimp.

24. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Flash: 1.8" (Zune) vs 2.0" (nano)
    HD: 3.2 inches (Zune) vs 2.5" (iPod Classic)

arn

25. macrumors 6502a

ivi7

Even Version 10 of Zune won't be able compete with iPods