Microsoft announces Janus: Apple not worried

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 5, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Just me? :confused:
  3. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    no, not just you - same for me over here on the other side of the pond...

4. macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    The problem with Janus taking off is that the Recording Industry has to continue to support a store after they make the change to this new DRM, and the chances of that happening are roughly nil.

BTW, Janus is a DRM technology that allows people to take their rented music on the go.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    buffalo ny
    i dont see a point to "renting" music...

the title of this thread is a gas...

M$ introduces janus... apple=not worried...

6. macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    Akron, OH
    Renting music with Janus is stupid, but renting movies with Janus, well, that's a whole 'nother topic! I think Janus will succede ONLY with movies, and that'll be a small niche audience.
  7. macrumors 68040

Jan 7, 2004
    Purcellville, VA
    It won't work with movies either. It's been tried.

You may remember DivX. It was a DVD-rental system before it was an internet codec. The idea was that you'd buy a DivX DVD at a store (I think only Circuit City bought in to the concept) for $5. You could play it for a few days (starting from your first play). After that, you'd have to pay again to get more time on the disc. Paying a larger amount (like $30) would unlock the disc permanently.

This system died miserably. Nobody bought the DivX players and nobody bought the DivX movies.

While you might argue that a "monthly flat-fee subscription to be able to play all your movies" would be more economical, I think the market will still balk at it. Especially when you can get non-rental movies at Wal*Mart for $10-20. (You can guarantee that these systems won't be charging much less than $10 for their movies.)

And if you decide to switch from locked-out DVDs to downloaded movies, the problem gets even worse. Because you now have to take all the time to download the movie as well.

A full DVD is about 9GB. A VCD (much lower quality than DVD) holding a 2-hour movie is about 1.4GB (2 700M discs.) Assuming you can get a solid 150K/s download rate (which is not typical), it will take 17 hours to download a DVD (although the VCD will only take 16 minutes, which isn't too bad.) If your download rate is more like 50K/s (more typical when downloading from a popular server), we're now looking at 45 minutes to download the VCD or 51 hours (that's over 2 days) for the DVD. And if anybody is dumb enough to download this over dial-up, we're talking a minimum of 7.5 hours for the VCD or 21 days for the DVD - which is pointless.

Broadband (and the servers that provide content, and the network in between) is going to have to get an order of magnitude more bandwidth before downloaded movies (with or without rental) becomes a commercial reality.
  8. macrumors 68040

Jan 7, 2004
    Purcellville, VA
    They're both right

As Jobs said, the marketplace doesn't want rented music. The record labels don't like it (because they are committed to supporting one particular DRM forever) and the customers don't like it (because their paid-for music collection can expire.)

But Microsoft isn't selling to them. Microsoft isn't selling music at all. They are providing technology that others may wish to use for their music sales. There are several services that currently provide music rental (like Real). Microsoft is selling Janus to them.

It's just like a broker. He doesn't care if his customers make or lose money - he's getting paid his commission either way. And unlike a broker, Microsoft isn't worried about customers going to a competitor, because they are a monopoly.
  9. macrumors 604

Apr 21, 2003

Music companies are afraid of iTunes domination... but they don't care about DRM domination by MS.

MS are far more likely to screw you than Apple... at least Apple (iTunes) is multiplatform, MS won't port janus...
  10. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    if I want a flat rate for all my movies, I'll go with NetFlix. Huge selection, easy to use, and they are the same DVDs you get down the street: they play on your plain old DVD player, with Special Features and everything. No special M$ hardware needed, no downloads.

And at 51 hours a download (surely M$ will use worse compression for faster times!) it would be faster to use NetFlix too :)
  11. macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2003
  12. macrumors 6502a

Dec 17, 2002
    I've already got enough monthly bills. I can't imagine anybody who would want another one so they can keep playing their favorite music.
  13. macrumors G4

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Why does this not surprise me one bit? I fully expected Apple not to be concerned with Janus when I posted in an earlier MacBytes thread regarding this very subject. It seems I was right. Look here for my earlier post (it's #2).