Microsoft Announces Mac Office 2008

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 9, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Microsoft announced today Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac. While not scheduled to ship until the second half of 2007, the company overviewed some of the major new features.

Office 2008 will share the same graphics engine as Office for Windows, and include Office Art 2.0. Office 2008 will also gain new interface features from Office for Windows 2007 like the Ribbon.

Also mentioned are new Mac-only features such as a Publishing Layout View that will allow Word users to create layout-rich documents (newsletters, fliers, and brochures), Ledger Sheets in Excel, and "My Day" priority tracking in Entourage.

Office 2008 will use Microsoft's new Open XML format, and Microsoft has pledged to provide beta file format converters for users of Office 2004 by Spring 2008. Also, Office 2008 will be the first version of Office to be a Universal Binary.

Microsft has not yet released pricing information, however current versions range from $149 for the Student and Teacher Edition to $399 for the Standard Edition (Professional Edition is likely to be discontinued with the next version of Office since Microsoft's decision to stop developing VirtualPC for Mac).

[ Digg This ]

2. macrumors 6502

Machead III

2nd half 2007? That's still before the majority of the planet get's the iPhone.

3. macrumors 6502a

miketcool

It was about time for them to announce the delayed introduction date of software. Thank goodness Office 2008 for Mac is the only thing Redmond is late on.

4. macrumors newbie

Just a little bit late....

By 2004, eh? That sounds about right for Microsoft Mac product development. :D

Cordially,
    Buddhagoth

5. macrumors 6502

"Office 2008 will use Microsoft's new Open XML format, and Microsoft has pledged to provide beta file format converters for users of Office 2004 by Spring 2004."

Damn... they are fast... They already go back in time to deliver file format converters...

:) typo :p

6. macrumors member

So does this mean that Entourage will finally have *full* Exchange compatibility - or that crappy, uh, crap that half works right unless you turn on LDAP and Web and other things to get it almost feeling like the OS 9 Outlook 2001 client?

7. macrumors member

Any chance of Access being included in this??

8. macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

as far as I'm concerned, as long as its UB, its some of the best news today!

9. macrumors newbie

10. macrumors 6502

avkills

Very weak. They should have been announcing AND shipping it today. But then again, maybe the MBU hasn't a clue how to code for x86. ;) And we certainly do not want the normal M$ code monkeys doing it.

-mark

11. macrumors 68000

cal6n

It's a sad, sad day when Micro$oft's Macworld announcement is more exciting than Apple's!

12. macrumors 68020

Not a chance.

13. Moderator emeritus

No, per the agreement with Apple, made long ago but it should fully support FileMaker still.

14. macrumors 6502a

umm...you didn't find the iPhone exciting? I soiled my paints after looking at those pictures.

15. macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Darn, right when I was going to write a really witty reply about those file converters, 2004 and some archived news items on the Mac Topia site, I see that at least two people have beaten me to it. Darn you all!

:D

16. macrumors 6502a

This news is an embarrassment to Microsoft. Before they said Office 2007 where everyone saw 2008 on the horizon long before Microsoft announce it today. :mad:

17. macrumors 68000

cal6n

I was excited initially but:

1. Vapourware until Q4 over here
    2. Only 8 Gig?
    3. Err, that's all

Actually the phone is pretty cool and I do want one but that's way in the future...

but then, so is office 2008...

whatever...

18. macrumors 6502a

Object-X

No chance. Forget about it; there is no way they are going to convert that ancient engine for the Mac. They can't even get Word and Excel out the door. Use Parallels or try FileMaker.

19. macrumors 65816

There's a difference between "Vaporware" and being available in another country (U.S.), with actual shipping dates for the rest of the world. I'm with you on the 8gig, but the iPhone is a momentous new product that will change iPods, PDAs, and cell phones. Office 2008 is just an update.

20. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I just have to say: Sorry MS, I've found a nice and free alternative which even has announced OpenXML Documents and VBA Macros support already in Q1 2007. ;)

21. macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Finally, I can't wait for some Office universal....

22. macrumors demi-god

Spanky Deluxe

For once I've found a Microsoft announcement more important to me than the Apple one!!

23. macrumors newbie

This is a good news

I would say that this is a good news. I don't know if we can trust that Microsoft redesign of office will follow the mac graphic guidelines and efficiency but let's keep our fingers crossed.

24. macrumors 65816

Porchland

Poor integration with Exchange is one of the two reasons I don't use my Mac as my primary work computer, so I would really like to see this improved.

The other: WordPerfect (which I ABHOR having to use).

25. macrumors 6502a

jacg

I think they meant 3004