Microsoft Announces Messenger 5.0 for Mac

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 9, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Pitch forking mulch in Nova Scotia, Canada
    If they announce it, when will it be available?

3. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Is that like "If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?"

4. macrumors 65816

arkmannj

Soon I hope :) I think this is long over due, but I am grateful for the Mac BU and all their work ! Must be Hard being mac guys in the Windows headquarters ...but then again it might be fun feeling like "the rebels on campus".

Edit: weird I see the MSN Messenger 5 info on the New Zealand site but not the US one Mactopia US MSN Messenger Link
    Am I blind? or maybe we're just to snappy and they're still getting the site updated, I noticed that one of the download links for the current version was a broken link. then I tried it a minute later and it seemed to work...

5. macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Pitch forking mulch in Nova Scotia, Canada
    Yeah the super bad ass kids who stick together and never talk to the other kids because the BA kids are way cooler.

Actually I wasn't trying to be funny. I just thought it odd that they announced it, but it actually isn't on their site yet.

By announcing it, is this like letting us know it exists, and they eventually one day they will put it on their site?

I'm so used to apple announcing a new iTunes being able to DL it right away.

6. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yeah, I know you weren't trying to be funny. Just the way you worded it, reminded me of that other famous existential question.

Microsoft, IMO, has a habit of announcing things like this with no firm dates of availabilty. I suspect they do it to sway customers from using a competitor's product and just waiting a while longer until MS releases their's.

7. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

If a tree falls on a mime in the forest, does he make a sound?

8. macrumors 65816

autrefois

I can't download the new version yet (broken link as mentioned above), but I'm disappointed in advance :). Not only does it still not have audio or video chat, but I actually liked the look of the old Messenger for Mac. Brushed metal is nice and all, but not on every single program...

9. macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

<mute>
    <nelson>haha!
    </nelson>
    </mute>

;)

10. macrumors newbie

11. macrumors 65816

arkmannj

aesthetic update

As I was poking around the site mactopia.com and read the information about the update I seemed to notice that it seem that most of the "updates" on this are aesthetic and not functionality making it look kinda like a iChat with tabs for MSN network.
    Someone please tell me I missed something, and that there's something functionally useful in the update.

Edit:
    Awesome Thanks !!

12. macrumors 65816

autrefois

It now supports being connected to two accounts at the same time (work and personal, for example), with each one in a separate tab. And apparently if your business has Communications Server 2005, you can connect to other people using different chat clients (yahoo, etc.). Other than that, it also allows personalized icons now, even animated ones (one up on iChat). But still not audio or video...

13. macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

14. macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

hmm, personal and corporate.. that's pretty cool.

15. macrumors G5

yg17

16. macrumors 65816

autrefois

They're onto you:

"ERROR

The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/6/f/a6f5125d-a949-448f-b2d0-b1881dd1c7da/Messenger500.dmg

The following error was encountered:

Unable to forward this request at this time.
    This request could not be forwarded to the origin server or to any parent caches. The most likely cause for this error is that:

The cache administrator does not allow this cache to make direct connections to origin servers, and
    All configured parent caches are currently unreachable."

17. macrumors newbie

More by luck than judgement... It's ok, bit bloated.. better than the last one, for sure.

18. macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Its available for download now!

edit: I should refresh the page before I post a reply :(

19. macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I'm downloading it :confused: , no probs at all. I'm sure I won't use it :p, just wanted to find the link before the *release* ... Adium all the way.

20. macrumors newbie

21. macrumors 65816

arkmannj

Thanks for the extra warm fuzzy

Thanks for the extra warm fuzzy, I guess for my uses there really isn't that much functionally different (trying 5.0 right now) I do like the new look better but I was just hoping for added stuff like audio/video or even remote desktop, whiteboard etc...
    One difference...it's called Microsoft Messenger now, not MSN Messenger

Link for a list of features (compared to the Windows version):
    Deployment and Feature Guide for Messenger 5.0

22. macrumors 65816

autrefois

After the 4th or 5th try, it finally downloaded for me using the link you guys posted. I'm going to install it and hope for the best!

23. macrumors 65816

autrefois

Yeah, not much new useful for me either. I was hoping for at least audio and maybe video, but no such luck. I didn't even dare to dream they'd have remote desktop or whiteboard. ;)

EDIT: Thanks for the link for the comparison chart. At least they openly admit that the Mac version does practically nothing compared to the Windows version!

24. macrumors 6502

mileslong

MSN Messenger 5 Now Available (For Real)

just saw it on macupdate...http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7946

heres whats new:

What's New:
    Highlights of this release are tabbed viewing that allows accessing different accounts simultaneously, multiple file transfers, improved proxy support, an updated design with brushed metal, and support for animated and custom emoticons. Also new is support for Live Communications Server 2005, which allows for server-side session logging, enhanced messaging security, Public IM Connectivity, and integration with the Global Address List.

lets just say im underwhlemed...the last time i was this excited was when they extended the sitcom "golden girls" for another season...

25. macrumors 65816

arkmannj

I wonder if the change is what we don't see

I wonder if one of the big changes is what we DON'T see..like the Mac BU having successfully moved all the source code to XCode. I don't think this is a universal binary, but it would seem logical that they might consider it a big update if they had to move all the code over, (preparing for the future).

Trying to be positive.... :rolleyes: about our new messenger 4.2 errr ummm I mean 5.0