Microsoft, Apple and Digital Music Cooperation?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Feb 1, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001
    According to Reuters, Apple and Microsoft are reportedly in negotiations "aimed at meeting the music industry's goal of compatibility among competing digital music devices by 2005."

Current digital music downloads exist in two primary formats - AAC and WMA - neither of which is inter-compatible. According to the article, current negotiations presently revolve around the ability to convert from one DRM format to another, preserving the digital rights management. Unfortunately, this may be both time consuming and lossy (potential loss of audio quality).
  2. macrumors newbie

Jan 27, 2004
    somehow this makes me feel uneasy. just like when HP announced their deal with Apple.
  3. macrumors member

Aug 18, 2003
    btw I just wanna say since most people will read this comment is that the IBM ads during the superbowl ROCKED F'IN HARD!!!! the one with Ali talkin to the kid was amazing. if you go to and watch the flash, then click visionary, then watch the last clip (90 seconds) I must say thats one of the best commercials in recent memory. I love OSX, and I will always use it, but Linux is gonna take the world by storm and I forsee the end of windows soon.
  4. dho
    macrumors 6502

Sep 7, 2003
    To me I simply view this as annother option. Since when did choice hurt people?
  5. macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2003
    dont give in apple, stay strong! make um bleed, make um bleed!
  6. macrumors newbie

Jan 27, 2004
    you know, it's not so much just makes me uneasy when apple licenses stuff. reminds me of the clone machines that Stevie pulled the plug on.

I dunno, I'm just skeptical when it comes to doing business with the devil...
  7. macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Converting for DRM bla bla bla...

Just make WMA work on an ipod and AAC work on other players. Why make it so the music is MORE lossy?
  8. macrumors 65816

Jun 23, 2003
    Gravesend, United Kingdom
    Yes, choice is good... but since when have Microsoft ever done anything to encourage choice amongst their users?

Remember Netscape?

Apple may demand that you buy their hardware. But what you do with and run on that hardware Apple leaves up to you.

MS aren't always so polite.
  9. macrumors member

Mar 7, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Can anyone here honeslty name an OS that doesn't have a heavy UNIX influence in the past few years? Irix, AIX, Mac OS X, NeXT Step, BeOS, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, and HP-UX are all i can name off the top of my head.

oh wait, windows, is the only OS that isn't based off of unix. i really wish microsoft would get a clue.
  10. macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2002
    Champaign, IL
    I"m glad that at least something is being done. Of course I want an iPod and to use iTunes but I don't like the idea of being LOCKED into that set up.
  11. macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2004
  12. macrumors member

Jan 20, 2004
    When a company takes away your choices, and makes you think that they are in fact doing the exact opposite [MS!], that hurts people. Yes Linux is definitely going to get much more popular in the near future, as is Mac OS. But the key is Linux and Mac are both unix and they feed off each other in positive ways, making each other better, and more popular. Where as windows is itself, a virus.
    "Something's wrong with my computer"...
    "Yeah, its a dell"
  13. macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2002
    Champaign, IL
    Also, now that Apple is such a dominate source in the music download biz and digital music player arena they are being referred to as a tech giant.

"While this is not specifically an Apple and Microsoft matter, many of the practical issues center on compatibility between the two tech giants."

I know that they were industry leaders and all but we all remember the days of beleaguered Apple.
  14. macrumors 6502

Aug 11, 2001
    This is a clear case of a classic Microsoft to Embrace and Extend.
  15. macrumors member

Jan 20, 2004
    People seem to just want the two formats to magically work together. People don't realize there are very real, good reasons why Apple uses what it uses, and why MS uses what it uses. MS won't switch to AAC because that won't let them muscle into the market and take over. Apple won't use WMA because what's bad for MS is good for Apple, and MS is shady, so its good to stand up for something, even if WMA was good/better than AAC.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Jul 10, 2001
    The fact that Apple and Microsoft are talking presumably indicates that Apple's success in this area has got Microsoft's attention.

I very much doubt that Apple will just roll-over and die in these negotiations, but equally, it would not be smart to ignore options - one wrong move in this game and Apple could lose the temporary monopoly that they have so successfully built up.

Recent non-Unix OSs: BeOS, Symbian, Palm OS 6.
  17. macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2002
    South Australia
    What ever is going to happen, if it involves Microsoft, then Microsoft will probably come out better in this deal than Apple.
  18. macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2003
    Lossy files just great whats the point i do get the point :confused: i just think both of them should just share the files on any player like some one else has mentioned
  19. macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2003
    I say why doesn't MS kill it's WMA and just start using AAC only.
  20. macrumors member

Dec 20, 2003
    Because then it wouldn't be their proprietary format and they couldn't charge people for licensing :D
  21. macrumors 6502

Jun 23, 2003
    Apple in catbird seat (for now)

It's a very nice position to be in. Here's a couple of good quotes from the Reuters article:

The only people who "unilaterally disarm" are those who are suicidal or those who are threatened with physical, economic, or political annihilation.

I don't expect Apple to change their ways until they've got something to gain by the change. Right now, they don't.

Specifically regarding Apple and MS, I'm sure MS would like to be associated with a winner, as long as there's money to be made, but there's no way MS will agree to anything unless it promotes their Frankensteinian standard (WMA). They've simply invested too much to back down now.

I can think of a dozen different ways this could play out, and I don't even want to guess. I have to admit I'm nervous -- this is a very high-stakes poker game, kids. Apple holds all four aces at the moment; that could change after a few more hands . . .

[EDIT: punctuation]
  22. macrumors member

Jan 20, 2004
    Yes, and MS can't just make all these players play AAC's either, thats up to the players and has nothing to do with MS at all.

Better yet, why doesn't everyone use iTMS and everyone only buy iPods from now on. Problem solved :-D
  23. macrumors member

Dec 12, 2003
    If it is the music industries goal to push for device compatibility by 2005 then Apple and MS dont really have much choice but to talk. Dont forget that the Music Industry is the real power broker here, not Apple and MS. Sounds like the are looking at a way of importing WMA files for use on the iPod and AAC files for use on other devices to me. Sounds good.
  24. macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2002
    Champaign, IL
    Well, regardless of what happens with MS and Apple I really think that Apple should allow music purchased from Real's music store to work with iTunes and the iPod. Better yet maybe license fairplay to Real. As long as real is using AAC and the goal of the music store is to sell iPods (in Apples case) it seems like a win win situation. Real gets compatibly with the most popular MP3 player and Apple promotes is format of choice (AAC) and iPods continue to sell well while at the same time giving users another choice in music download stores.
  25. macrumors newbie

Dec 4, 2002
    yes! that's the truth...and hopefully Linux makes people change OS and then hopefully people dare to change to OSX :)

I know a couple of programmers migrating to Linux - then it was only a question of time before they got themselves a Powerbook...GUI & unix i a box ;)