Microsoft & Apple Getting Sued!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by garybUK, Jul 21, 2004.

1. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

It's probably another one of those patents falling into the 'Bleeding obvious to anyone with a brain' category. We'll see how it turns out. It's important to note however that just because someone has a patent it doesn't mean it's worth the paper it's written on.

2. garybUK thread starter Guest

garybUK

Yeah just like BT, they invented and copywrited the Hyperlink technology but something like that they couldn't redeem intellectual property

3. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

The patent is so general, it could basically apply to any updating software. I don't think this one will go very far, except maybe alert a few more people that software patents are getting out of hand.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Software updating has been around for years. Active desktop has too. We've seen time and time again, if patents are not enforced in a fair amount of time, they lose all legal weight. This suit will be dismissed early on.

paul

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I disagree! I think that this suit will single-handedly demolish both Apple and Microsoft, leading to the inevitable rise of Linux...That is, until BT sues for having a patent on drawing penguins, at which point, Linux, too, will succumb to its own illicit behavior.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I didn't know that software update was considered a technology. I thought it was just a blatantly obvious idea.....an inevitability after the development of high speed internet.

7. Ajmbc macrumors regular

Apple has had software update since OS 9, maybe even OS 8.6- and microsoft has had it for awhile, there is virtually no weight to this lawsuit.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I agree absolutely 10000% :D

At my (now former) school, patents are covered very much in the mechanical engineering program, because they're such a big part of that field. And remember, getting a patent is expensive, as it requires a patent lawyer. You're looking at $50k-60k per patent.

9. garybUK thread starter Guest

garybUK

Well i do hope they get somewhere, just like our European Government sucessfully sued Microsoft for a handsome sum, keeps these companies on their toes.

10. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Only $1000 of that or so goes to the government. If you have a staff attorney they might as well spend any spare time publishing frivolous patents.

The government has an electronic filing system now. Imagine a travesty engine linked to the web submit form. Since patents don't get strenuous of an inspection you could probably get away with it.