Microsoft Brings Bing to the iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 16, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Microsoft yesterday announced the introduction of Bing [App Store, Free], an iPhone application offering direct access to the company's new search engine.

Aside from traditional topic searches, the application offers image search, movie times, maps and directions, business listings, and news search. Bing also utilizes geolocation to automatically provide movie listings in the user's area and to provide a default starting location of map-based directions.
    Voice search very similar to that offered in Google Mobile App is also supported.
    The iPhone version of Bing joins existing versions for Windows Mobile, BlackBerry, and Sidekick, as well as a basic mobile-formatted version of the site.

Article Link: Microsoft Brings Bing to the iPhone

2. macrumors 6502

Welcome to innovation-land Microsoft. We've missed you for a while, so it's nice of you to drop by.

Seriously though, Bing has some promise and so it's nice to see MS not be petty and get this app out to us. There's a good chance that it's a great app and will be nice to use.

3. macrumors 6502a

igazza

Not bad, Did i hear somewhere they were making MSN messenger?

4. macrumors newbie

I quite like it too.

The map implementation is quite good. I love the zoom in/out and the fact that traffic updates do not cover streets/street names. much better than google. Also i love the zoom out button... you can zoom in by double tapping and you can zoom out without forcing you to use two fingers.

Also the image search is really good!!!!

5. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

I would like to see some games from Microsoft next.

6. macrumors regular

Wish they woulda named their search engine something different tho.... Reminds me of Chandler from Friends waaaaay too much lol.

7. macrumors 6502a

skeep5

Bing huh. I thought crazy bald microsoft CEOs just stomped on iPhones, not developed for them. lame!

8. macrumors newbie

yes because "google" is better..

My name is Chandler Google!

9. macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

It reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0YLD_9lRGU

10. macrumors G4

*LTD*

Maybe Bing will be relevant now.

11. macrumors regular

The app is worthless to me, as it does NOT display the Bing Cashback & Shopping search results too. This is a feature that holiday shoppers would be interested in...

12. macrumors 6502a

I'll download it after work but it looks pretty good -- and a good idea. Besides, I secretly enjoy it when MS writes stuff for the iPhone. :)

13. macrumors G4

daneoni

Am i the only one who would rather have this integrated into Safari. I'm all for app grown but instead of an app for a search engine how about the MSN IM client instead

14. macrumors regular

i like bing

well just their home page i love the little pieces of information of the picture. as for search never really used it. but i'll try out this app.

15. macrumors 68040

rwilliams

This app is really, really good. So much so that I'm getting rid of the Google Mobile app. It's about time that Microsoft made something fresh and fun to use.

16. macrumors 68000

BeyondtheTech

Damn, I just got my first BSOD on my iPhone. Time to uninstall. ;)

17. macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

I'm tempted to download this as it almost looks useful. I've not once ever had to do a "Bing" search just because I dislike the name. The Google search app doesn't do much for me either though. If I need to search, why wouldn't I just open Safari or Maps?

18. macrumors regular

RaZaK

hmmm....

How long before we confirm it as the least downloaded app...ever? lol :D

19. macrumors 68000

I'm actually going to download it. :D

20. macrumors 68000

Nice! I LOVE the voice recognition stuff. And the mapping is pretty cool.

21. macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

OK, so I downloaded it. After a few minutes of poking around, it gets to stay on the iPhone. The maps and directions will be the best fit I think. The app looks and feels good.

22. macrumors 68000

The only issue I am having is you have to be within a certain sub-menu to do a specific search.

Example: I tried to speak a search for "driving direction from here to Kingwood, TX" and got web and image results for it.

If this were an Apple app, it would realize I wanted a map and driving directions and set me up with that map and solution.

Still, when on the map and speaking Kingwood I got great directions. :)

So far I remain impressed with especially the voice recognition.

23. macrumors 65816

Caliber26

I don't know. Did you? If so, where?

24. macrumors 68020

Do you mean like a web app? You can't integrate into Safari because Apple doesn't allow it.

25. macrumors newbie

Downloaded it to see how the maps were. I don't like the fact that my highlighted route covers over the colors for the traffic indicator so I can't see if it's showing red, green or yellow along the highway route.

Seemed to be out of focus too for some reason. Maybe I was zoomed in too far.