Microsoft Buyout of Apple?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Shaker, Apr 4, 2006.

1. macrumors member

Shaker

2. macrumors 68000

Peyton

Um, I don't think that Jobs would let this happen in his lifetime.

And no, I don't think it should happen :eek:

3. thread starter macrumors member

Shaker

I didn't mean to imply it should happen either. Just a couple of real wacky articles.

4. macrumors G4

dmw007

I have to agree with Peyton on both accounts.

5. macrumors G4

dmw007

Wacky articles indeed. ;) :)

6. macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

I didn't have time to read the articles, but I can say that such a buyout would be illegal. At least in this country anyway.

7. macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

If Apple gets eaten by Microsoft, I'll remove and eat my spleen. How's that.

8. macrumors G4

dmw007

A bit rash...well no, its not that rash...heck, it might even be sensible. ;) :D

9. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Pics?

10. macrumors 604

zap2

i know steve would not allow a sell out because Steve really does not need the $$$ as he has plenty of it.

11. macrumors newbie

Jamescd had it right. If Microsoft did happen to buyout Apple (which, in my opinion, will never happen) they would have that monopoly crisis bite them in the butt again.

12. macrumors 601

eva01

i will one up you, i will eat my liver :p.

13. macrumors G4

dmw007

Normally I am all in favor of Pics, but in this case I do not think pics would be appropriate (might be a little bit too disturbing). ;) :)

14. macrumors G4

dmw007

In general, the eating of ones organs is frowned upon.

According to the Surgeon General of the U.S.-

There you have it, eating your organs is probably not a good idea. ;) :)

15. macrumors regular

Comments

I doubt MS can ever get away with buying Apple. The antitrust implications would be extremely huge and MS wants to avoid that at all costs now. And Microsoft would take huge flack for it from users also. For one, I think most MS software sucks although they have a few nice programs (Flight Simulator, Xbox games, Age of Empires series of games, and Microsoft Messenger are not too bad for the most part). But they also have some buggy/bloatware that's insecure, unstable and outdated - Windows XP (and all other versions of Windows since at least 3.1 or so). :)

Not saying I'm a MS hater, I rushed right out and bought an Xbox 360 and an Xbox before that - and several software apps in years past. But after switching to MacOS X 10.4.x - I have to say - Windows is the past and Mac is the future - IMO. I know Windows won't "go away" anytime soon but given a preference, I'd easily prefer the Mac. And I even run a DOS computer at home for old games mostly and apps. I've run several Linux flavors and all Windows versions since 3.0, DOS 2.x to 6.22 (MS version) and a bunch of other OSes. MacOS X is my favorite and the easiest to use/smartest and most secure I've found so far. It isn't perfect but it's better than what MS is offering. It's a pity Apple has allowed HyperCard and AppleWorks to grow old and not kept them updated/slim and productive. But the iPod is awesome and the latest Macs are just so cool (the past year or so I'd say). I never owned a Mac before 2004 (and then only a G3 iMac for testing and exploring). But when I got my "real" Mac last year I fell in love and I just bought another Mac last month also. Now the wife and I are both on Macs and love them. It's not fun to go to work and be forced to run Windows XP.

16. macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

You have asked, and therefore shall receive.

Pics are coming post-company selling...action..day.

17. macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

:) Let's just work together instead and both eat both organs. Seems like it would make a much greater display.

18. macrumors 6502a

First, At $51 billion, Apple's not exactly an easy acquisition. It would be cheaper to buy Sony, actually ($47B) and get a movie studio, music label, consumer electronics business, and a PC maker all at once.

Second, It's not as if Microsoft "needs" Apple. Microsoft isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It's got hordes of money, and a huge customer base that is largely locked-in.

By the same token, Apple's pulling in billions from the iPod, and the Mac market is stable and growing slightly. Office is guaranteed for the next few years: Microsoft itself said so. And the Intel partnership gives them access to whatever technology they can't build themselves.

19. macrumors 68030

iPhil

The Fcc won't allow that to happen .. then if it did happen then no competition for Billy boy aka Gates :eek: :eek: :eek:

20. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The FCC? The Federal Communications Commission? What would their jurisdiction be?

21. macrumors newbie

MagnaPalam

more like the SEC - Securities and Exchange Commission

22. macrumors 6502a

23. macrumors G4

dmw007

Windows will finally meet its demise. :) ;)

24. macrumors 68030

iPhil

The response i posted on the fcc . I was wrong and i was tired from work so i a bit - on auto response when i typed that answer .. :eek: :(

25. macrumors newbie

Well, considering Microsoft's war chest is about 10 times greater than what apple is worth (even with their 4+ billion cash on hand), I very seriously doubt we will have to worry about that occurring.

Glor