Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Um, I don't think that Jobs would let this happen in his lifetime.

And no, I don't think it should happen :eek:

Shaker

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I didn't mean to imply it should happen either. Just a couple of real wacky articles.

Suspended
Feb 18, 2006
Hong Kong
I didn't have time to read the articles, but I can say that such a buyout would be illegal. At least in this country anyway.

Os Xp

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2006
Jamescd had it right. If Microsoft did happen to buyout Apple (which, in my opinion, will never happen) they would have that monopoly crisis bite them in the butt again.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
eva01 said:
i will one up you, i will eat my liver :p.

In general, the eating of ones organs is frowned upon.

According to the Surgeon General of the U.S.-

Surgeon General said:
***Eating of ones organs can have hazardous consequences; Please refrain from doing so***

There you have it, eating your organs is probably not a good idea. ;) :)

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2006
Comments

I doubt MS can ever get away with buying Apple. The antitrust implications would be extremely huge and MS wants to avoid that at all costs now. And Microsoft would take huge flack for it from users also. For one, I think most MS software sucks although they have a few nice programs (Flight Simulator, Xbox games, Age of Empires series of games, and Microsoft Messenger are not too bad for the most part). But they also have some buggy/bloatware that's insecure, unstable and outdated - Windows XP (and all other versions of Windows since at least 3.1 or so). :)

Not saying I'm a MS hater, I rushed right out and bought an Xbox 360 and an Xbox before that - and several software apps in years past. But after switching to MacOS X 10.4.x - I have to say - Windows is the past and Mac is the future - IMO. I know Windows won't "go away" anytime soon but given a preference, I'd easily prefer the Mac. And I even run a DOS computer at home for old games mostly and apps. I've run several Linux flavors and all Windows versions since 3.0, DOS 2.x to 6.22 (MS version) and a bunch of other OSes. MacOS X is my favorite and the easiest to use/smartest and most secure I've found so far. It isn't perfect but it's better than what MS is offering. It's a pity Apple has allowed HyperCard and AppleWorks to grow old and not kept them updated/slim and productive. But the iPod is awesome and the latest Macs are just so cool (the past year or so I'd say). I never owned a Mac before 2004 (and then only a G3 iMac for testing and exploring). But when I got my "real" Mac last year I fell in love and I just bought another Mac last month also. Now the wife and I are both on Macs and love them. It's not fun to go to work and be forced to run Windows XP.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
First, At $51 billion, Apple's not exactly an easy acquisition. It would be cheaper to buy Sony, actually ($47B) and get a movie studio, music label, consumer electronics business, and a PC maker all at once.

Second, It's not as if Microsoft "needs" Apple. Microsoft isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It's got hordes of money, and a huge customer base that is largely locked-in.

By the same token, Apple's pulling in billions from the iPod, and the Mac market is stable and growing slightly. Office is guaranteed for the next few years: Microsoft itself said so. And the Intel partnership gives them access to whatever technology they can't build themselves.

glorfindeal

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2006
steelfist said:
what happens if apple bought microsoft?

Well, considering Microsoft's war chest is about 10 times greater than what apple is worth (even with their 4+ billion cash on hand), I very seriously doubt we will have to worry about that occurring.

Glor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.