Microsoft-California Settlement

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macktheknife, Nov 12, 2003.

1. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

I just received a form from the California Claims Administrator letting me know that I am entitled to some vouchers as part of the Microsoft-California Settlement. Apparently, "the settlement will provide up to $1.1 billion of vouchers that people and businesses can use toward the purchase of desktop, laptop or tablet computers, printers, scanners, monitors, keyboards, pointing devices, and generally available software made by any manufacturer."

If you had purchased any Microsoft products from February 18, 1995 through December 15, 2001, you are entitled to the following:

$16 for Windows or MS-DOS
    $29 for Office
    $26 for Excel
    $5 for Word, Works Suite, Home Essentials 97 or 98

"Software for server computers or Apple computers is not eligible."

Basically, all I have to do is fill out the form, list the Microsoft products I had purchased during the stated time period, and receive my check. If I claim less than 5 products or over $100, I don't need to send any proofs of purchase. BTW, the vouchers can be used to purchase anything that I listed above, and "the qualifying computer hardware or software does not have to be a Microsoft product." PDAs, servers, and server software and custom software are not eligible.

You can find out more about this settlement by calling 1-800-960-5660.

<opinion>I decided to post this message to see if other Californians have received such a form. It looks pretty legitimate, although I'm curious to see how many others have received the form. Although I don't have any warm fuzzy feelings for Microsoft, I probably will not send my form. Why? Class Action Settlements are typically an inefficient form of wealth distribution whereby lawyers shake down businesses, take a big fat cut, and throw the scraps to the "victims." Sending this form will signal my tacit approval for such settlements, although not claiming my vouchers will probably leave more money for the lawyers and California schools (there's a provision that leaves something for low-income schools if the amount claimed is less than $1.1 billion).

Any thoughts?

2. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Yes, I got one. It's similar to the Cox Cable settlement. It's real.

Dan

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I got one and I'm going to pass. I bought many copies of Windows, Office, Works, etc over the years and could collect quite a lot from this deal. It's not enough money that I could run out and buy a new PowerMac G5 with the vouchers--or really anything I want for that matter. The real reason I'm not participating is that I'd waive my right to sue them again for the same thing-and I think there will end up being a much bigger case in the future.