Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to Retire 'Within 12 Months'

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 23, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Microsoft has issued a press release stating that its CEO, Steve Ballmer, will retire "within the next 12 months", remaining in his position until a suitable successor is found. The precise reasons for Ballmer's departure were not given, though he was quoted as saying:
    The stock market reacted positively to the news, with Microsoft's share price opening 8% higher than the previous day's closing.

[​IMG]
    (Image courtesy of Mashable)
    Ballmer joined Microsoft in June 1980 and became the company's 35th employee, having been a business manager recruited by Bill Gates, the former chief executive and chairman of the company. Ballmer was named CEO in January 2000, and throughout his tenure was responsible for some key changes in Microsoft as a company, including the shift towards cloud computing, key business acquisitions such as that of Skype in May 2011 and the release of Microsoft's first consumer tablet device, the Surface, back in June 2012.

However, Ballmer's tenure has not been without criticism. Microsoft's share price has remained fairly stagnant under his leadership and the disappointing sales of the Surface have further sprinkled salt into the wound. He was also criticized concerning his remarks about Apple at a press conference back in 2009, where he described the company's products as, "$500 more to get a logo".

Microsoft's Board of Directors has appointed a special committee to direct the process of replacing Ballmer as CEO. The committee, which includes Bill Gates as one of its members, will be working with an executive recruiting firm, Heidrick & Struggles, to find a replacement. The press release also stated that Microsoft, "will consider both external and internal candidates", although no official job announcement has been made as of yet.

Article Link: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to Retire 'Within 12 Months'

2. macrumors regular

natd1993

Yes.

3. macrumors 68000

steve-p

Can't believe he hasn't been fired many times over, personally.

4. macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

Damn maybe microsoft will become a powerhouse again.

5. macrumors 6502a

Way overdue!

6. macrumors regular

[​IMG]

But seriously, I think he gets a lot of bad wrap, despite having diversified Microsoft so that they're not reliant upon any one area. Even if the consumer side tanks they're still in a strong position. That said, he has not helped with his constant 'predictions' regarding pretty much every new piece of tech.

7. macrumors 65816

steveza

I had the misfortune of working with him once a few years back, happy to see the back of him really.

8. macrumors regular

I can't believe in all his years managing Microsoft he didn't change the photos icon to the one on the right.

[​IMG]

9. macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Glad to see him go. He should apply at a circus. He would make a great clown.

10. macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Steve would have never allowed that.

See what I did there?

11. macrumors 6502

bb426

"Ballmer was named CEO in January 2000..."

Steve Jobs accomplished probably 500 times more in pretty much the same amount of time that Ballmer was CEO.

Ballmer blasting aside, this is Microsoft's chance to finally step in the right rhythm for once. It could be game changing if they hire the right person. But then again, Microsoft seems to always have some sort of cloud over their head...

12. macrumors member

Jared Strike

Best news I've heard all week! :D

13. macrumors regular

litmag01

I actually feel a little empathy for the guy. Both him and Cook are humans that were sent to fill the shoes of Titans.

It is a tough row to hoe, but the pay is great.

14. macrumors newbie

Steve Ballmer is Retiring?!?!?

Steve Ballmer is Retiring?!?!?

[​IMG]

15. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

16. macrumors 6502

Good riddance. Keep in touch on your kin motha f....

17. macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

I logged in just to upvote.

18. macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Damn I hate that guy

19. macrumors regular

He gets the bad rap for a reason.

About 50% of revenue still comes from Office and Windows. The revenue for Windows is decreasing as they flubbed Windows 8. The consumer revenue for Office also decreased 27% in just the last quarter... and Microsoft is projecting both Windows and Office revenues to keep going down.

Obviously, though, his biggest mistakes were in the mobile arena. Microsoft has all but lost in mobile, and Balmer's complacence cost them tremendously.

20. macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Yup, Windows 8 and Surface moved mountains. Ciao!

21. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Microsoft should spin off Xbox and focus on enterprise and cloud. Their structure now is a mixture of horizontal and vertical. I don't see how getting in to hardware with tablets (and possibly phones) makes sense. Microsoft is a software company. That is what they should be focused on.

22. macrumors 6502a

SBlue1

oh no!

23. macrumors 6502

RoelJuun

Ballmer consistently made the profits increase and MS is a much broader company than Apple (Server, Azure etc.). Although Ballmer might look like a clown, Jobs didn't accomplished 500 times more. I don't get the random bashing.

24. macrumors 6502a

fullauto

That man is either a: carrying way too much stress or b: done WAY too much coke!

Likely both..

25. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

What I took away from that interview was that, he expected the iPhone to be a flop due to the lack of keyboard, and in his opinion, not designed with business in mind as well as the high price. As we saw, Apple did adjust the price within 6 months or so and it became a hit.

Ballmer, IMO, though it's not his style, should have taken a more conservative, humble approach to the new product and go for a wait and see approach in his commentary and talk about more about what Microsoft was doing and going to do.

I don't care a lot for companies bashing the other guy's stuff in order to make theirs look better. I prefer a company to tell me what their stuff does and why they think it's the best.