Microsoft closing...?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Diatribe, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Just read this article and thought that to be very interesting.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1622629,00.asp

Beginning:

Bill Gates is reported to have told more than a few people, when asked how long he intends to run Microsoft, "Until it stops being fun." This remark has always baffled me, since it's never been clear what fun is for Bill Gates—or for Steve Ballmer, for that matter. Is it fun to be publicly scrutinized, ridiculed, have pies thrown in your face, and be sued left and right? Maybe not, but it's probably fun to have private jets, red-carpet treatment, and billions of dollars in your personal bank account. But once you have the latter, why bother with the former? How about simply shuttering the company?
    You have to wonder exactly...

This would be seriously hilarious.

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

he he. :D if that happened lots of people would be admitted to hospitals all over the globe.

sounds very improbable to me, but not impossible. as the writed states, other companies have done that in the past. but somehow i still think there's lots of money to be made by Microsoft, and that's never an easy thing to turn down.

an interesting article, written by a true devotee of the DVORAK keyboard layout as well. ;) :p :D now that's dedication to a cause. :p

also, this could probably have been posted in the news & article discussions forum... just so you know for the future. :)

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Bill Gates keeps score by counting his money. If he has more money than the next guy, then he considers himself ahead. Gates was born rich which means that he is comfortable with luxury, but I would doubt that the perquisites of position impress him. An examination of his history and that of his company shows that Gates is extremely insecure. You may think that his position is invulnerable, but I would bet that he feels that it could all disappear overnight. Where you may see an insignificant niche player, he sees the next Bill Gates or the next Microsoft. His insecurities and his desire to have more money than anyone else tell me that it will be a cold day in Hell before he quits. As for Microsoft itself, it is a public company. It can't be just shutdown. Even if Gates felt that he were rich enough, Microsoft's thousands of shareholders and employees may not feel the same way.

4. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Thanks for your kindness in letting me know where this thread belongs. I will treasure it and make sure the next one will fit snugly and perfectly in the framework of this forum. :p :D

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I would think that Gates would be smart enough to sell off whatever he could. So maybe Dell ends up doing both systems and software :eek:

6. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

7. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

closing microsoft would be too good to be true, so it will not happen.

8. m.r.m. macrumors regular

it shouldn´t either. nothing left to get "mac-heads" ;) all riled up. besides, it´s good for apple, so they won´t get lazy and will always have to think up ways of even more innovative software choices.

9. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Heh. I think there's a better chance of Apple closing up shop then Microsoft. It just ain't going to happen....EVER. As I stated before MS has, I just got better figures, about 52 Billion in cash assets. Total assets I read are around 70+ billion. A company of that magnitude could lose the OS market overnight and still recapture it without breaking a sweat money wise.

As for Gates. I think the computer industry is a game to him. The guy is psycho when it comes to poker. The computer industry is one big poker game to him. And as for the personal attacks that he's had to endue, including a literal pie in the face, he probably blows it off as people who are jealous of him. People with egos like Jobs and Gates live in their own little world.

10. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Ya lets look at that from a financial point of view. Do you know what would happen to the tech industry overnight if Microsoft's infrastructure folded tomorrow? It would probably be the equivalent of a full blown stock market crash, tech wise. The industry is based on Microsoft. Period. Like it or not that is FACT. Look at any tech company and to a certain extent they have ties to Microsoft in one-way or another. Even Apple does. What do you think would happen to all those iPod users if they switched to Linux overnight?
    Microsoft is like crack. You don't get over it overnight and the withdrawals are probably enough to kill most without some support.

It’s a moot point anyways. It's not going to happen.

11. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

existing systems would continue working, so all those ipod users would not even care. granted, industry is too much tied to microsoft, but if for some reason microsoft wouldn't be anymore, industry just would have to look for alternative solutions really fast. and that would give me a lot bigger salary as i know more about other systems than microsoft's :)