Microsoft, code name Eiger

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Dr. No, May 12, 2005.

1. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Thats a great idea. I know tons of people that use old PC's and want a new OS but cant upgrade to XP.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This makes perfect sense, Microsoft is only interested in selling software. In the Windows world they don't care how the machine looks, just a long as its running.

3. jaykk macrumors 6502a

VPC

Will it perform better under VPC on a Mac?

4. lem0n macrumors regular

lem0n

5. Kosher Terror macrumors member

I like how they say that antivirus is one of the few programs that can be run locally. Makes me laugh.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it's a good idea too, although if they can get it running a bit more, say, Office.... then it'd be great. Speaking of this, I wonder, does anyone know what the penetration in large managed IT setups of XP is? I still predominantly see win2k, although I see XP occasionally, and recently more and more....Is that a real phenom, or is it just an artifact of my limited exposure?

But then again, I wonder if this can really be directed at Win2k installs...there doesn't seem to be a lot of benefit to corporate IT to deploy this in place of Win2k, unless of course MS starts to wean off Win2k support. :rolleyes:

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I think Eiger can't run Office because Office is some 2,000% larger than it needs to be (it's severely bloated, perhaps on purpose?), and therefore will run unacceptably slowly on machines that Eiger was designed for.

At my office of my company, I'd estimate Windows XP penetration to be around 33% (excluding the graphics department - the only Mac holdout left), although that's rapidly approaching 50% with each PC that gets replaced.

Out of the Windows XP users, 5% or less are running Service Pack 2 - this is largely due to incompatibilities with internal applications that STILL have not been adequately resolved.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL, only 2000%? But then again, these same computers are already running Office satisfactorily on top of whatever they run.

Thanks for the info on your office...I'm wondering though, how typical that is for large installations. I'm surprised you have people running so many OS variants -- not the Mac/PC thing, but the fact that you have people running XP, XP/SP2, and something else (2k?) all at the same time, as opposed to a managed install of the new OS. At the large managed IT setups I've worked in (auto industry), there has really only been one or two "images" used for everyone's computer -- maybe a typical desktop one and a "high performance" one for CAD / CAM workstations that run on Windows instead of UNIX.

SP2....ah, yes, SP2 is something that can make us all feel good about Tiger. :rolleyes:

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yeah, everyone not on Windows XP is running Windows 2000.

By the way, I used to be on a Windows NT machine at work. I got upgraded to a Windows 2000 machine, then upgraded AGAIN to a Windows XP machine.

10. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Bill Gates and Pals are playing chirades.
    Sounds like (makes action of a Tiger)...
    Eiger! - Ingenious
    Can't wait till 2010 when it comes out. It'll probably hav a strong resemblance to win 3.1 - oh wait, it WILL BE 3.1! :D

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Had that E only been an L, we could have gotten all the Napolean Dynamite cronies to ****. :p :eek: :D

12. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me. I personally run Citrix on my iBook at work and have a fully functioning Windows PC as a result. Full desktop, full MS Office suite, Internet, Media Player...the whole shebang. Performance is fantastic too. If this allows similar functionality then it can only be a good thing for the millions of users who can't afford an upgrade.

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I thought Eiger was meant for corporate users only, since it relies on a server to do the heavy lifting - something only a company would be likely to have. I agree with your point, though - assuming Microsoft implements it properly.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Citrix is sort of a remote desktop client / server application system for Windows. We used it, for some reason, for some CAD visualization software at my last job, rather than install the s/w on everyone's computer. It really isn't that bad. But it does run off a pretty-much dedicated Citrix server, I think, with multiple clients. I don't know how that compares to the situation where you have a desktop PC and you're remote clienting it, and so it isn't doing much except just serving your Mac at the time....

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That depends on the design of Citrix, how much bandwidth it requires (which affects performance both on the server and on each client), and what it opts to send vs. not send (for example, many remote computing solutions don't transmit sound to save bandwidth and computing power on the server).

A typical remote client situation requires far less bandwidth; however, its performance is entirely dependent on the general health of the computer used as a server. This is much less of an issue with dedicated servers, since these are usually well maintained.

16. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

WE ARE COOLER THAN MAC USERS AND LOSERS!

why?

WELL...

yeah, why?

WELL THEY, UH, USE TIGER

tiger, the most advanced version of OS X ever... and?

AND UH, WE'RE MAKING, UH EIGER!

17. spinner macrumors regular

...and this just in...there was a spelling mistake in the preceding article. The codename is actually "Liger" :D

Named after Bill's favorite animal you know. ;)

18. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Yeah they better watch out or Eiger Direct will sue them.

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's about time that MS did something about older Windows users.

20. resm macrumors 6502

Oh yeah....sure.
    They don't even know on what slippery surface they will tread !!

EIGER is the name of a very famous Mountain in Switzerland that has the highest difficulty grade for mountain climbers that you can get.

The north wall, which is the most difficult one, is basically just one vertical wall covered with patches of ice.

Countless dead bodies are still hanging somewhere in the (north) wall of this mountain, frozen stiff and to dangerous for other climbers to bring them down.

does that ring a bell ?? :eek: