Microsoft declares war on the iPod

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 11, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. Moderator emeritus

devilot

I find it hard to believe that Microsoft will really be able to pull this off...

3. macrumors member

I find it hard to believe another "war" against the iPod is going to work. Wasn't "plays for sure" Microsoft's "war" against iPod? What about Creative waging "war" against iPod.

Granted, other manufacturers are getting a foothold, but how many "wars" are going to be waged against the iPod?

4. macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

Well, as with everything Microsoft does, it'll come down to dubious legal tactics.

Watch for them strong-arming OEMs, suing OEMs, breaking compatibility with itunes/ipod, or just literally giving players away to anyone and everyone.

Microsoft's only strength is destroying choice, it's the only talent they have, and they'll resort to anything, and I mean anything to eliminate choice, because when people actually have a choice, they tend to leave mob control.

5. macrumors G5

nagromme

Spring 2006?

There is no WAY Apple has time to advance the iPod beyond where it is now in that amount of time! Look out, MS is coming! ;)

6. macrumors 65816

stridey

Well, Mahatma Gandhi once said:

:D

7. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Creative's whine & pleas on the other end of the phone as they kept getting soundly spanked in the marketplace after declaring their war against the iPod.

Seems like Creative finally found out that they couldn't do it alone. :p

Of course now MS is going to be attacking not just Apple, but all the music companies when they launch their full frontal against their websites.

8. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Thinking about it from another angle, I would love to be working for one of the companies putting the ad campaign together :D :cool:

9. macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

10. macrumors 6502a

before the mighty mouse i thought microsoft was a good mouse maker but not anymore :D

11. hob
    macrumors 68020

hob

What is it with you Americans and your wars?

War on Drugs - Failed
    War on Terror - ummm...
    War in Iraq - Fiasco
    War on iPod - It's gonna fail. I'll tell you why - ITS NOT MEANT TO BE A WAR! Apple got in on the sly... noone noticed them coming, and they had the superior product. It's too late Microsoft. Give up!

12. macrumors 604

Lacero

Even if Microsoft offered everyone a free MP3 player, I still wouldn't use it. Apple's stuff is so easy to use, I doubt Microsoft could come close.

13. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Watch MS dump $100 million into the market and buy a large chunk of one of the major labels. Mark my words. They will do it.

14. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Its the bigger dick policy in action. See George Carlin for further info on the subject. Sorry guys. I had to. :D

15. macrumors regular

speleoterra

They have ALOT of cash to do this though thats whats scary.
    Just like they LOSE money for every Xbox purchased.

but MS has NO integrity for products,...do you think a
    kid in high school is going to come around showing off his
    MS product to his friends who are crowded around in a circle
    Podding each other? They'll be like what the f'k is that man?, its not an iPod.
    And if MS thinks they can just create a product for the purposes of competition they'll lose.
    Apple created a system to a product, that's why it works. War over.

16. macrumors 68000

What makes this really funny is that 80% of M$ employees own an iPod :p

17. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

18. macrumors 6502a

mrsebastian

this sounds like some [bleep] i'd expect from drunk guy at the bar, talking out of his [bleep]. yeah sure longhorn/vista/whatever will come out, but it's looking more and more like a slightly better version of xp. as has been said, the only real way i can see m$ gaining substantial ground, is to through lots of money around. practically giving away music players and hoping they can sell music to recover some of the costs. this plan will of course continue the down fall of m$ in the long run, because in general people are still sick and tired of windows and m$.

19. macrumors member

xbox

"there will be a whole range of products that can compete with Apple in industrial design, usability, functionality and features."

When is the xBox due for release again? I wouldn't put it past MS to tie their music store right into the ROM of every xbox sold, which of course would be iPod incompatible.

Nah... they'd never do something underhanded and anti-competitive like that... *rolls eyes*

20. macrumors 68030

.Andy

The only way Microsoft could possibly do this is by following the x-box model. Practically give away their players whilst making a massive loss to obtain market-share. Then they'll have to start buying into the interests of the record companies and/or just buy up record companies where possible.

Even after doing this I highly doubt they'll ever be able to compete on ease of use and industrial design and function. Give me a break :rolleyes:.

21. macrumors G5

nagromme

Hey, easy on the generalizations :) We're not ALL brawn-over-brains types :)

22. macrumors 6502

Moonlight

Whats with you Europeans and your "What is it with you Americans" speaches ?? :rolleyes:

23. macrumors regular

Creative -- America?

Um, Creative is headquartered in Singapore, where CEO Sim Wong Hoo declared his "war" on the iPod last year.

24. macrumors Core

::: pointing finger at MS :::: hahahahahahahahahaha!

25. macrumors 603

zelmo

"insanely late"

Fantastic! I need the t-shirt.