Microsoft deepfish copies iPhone browsing UI

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swingerofbirch, Mar 29, 2007.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I just came across this from Microsoft:

http://labs.live.com/deepfish/

They show it on an "i-mate."

To me it looks just like how browsing a web page works on iPhone.

2. MacbookSwitcher macrumors 6502

MacbookSwitcher

Since the iPhone was only annoucnced in January, Microsoft was probably working on this long before they or anyone knew what the iPhone's browser looked like.

So it's probably incorrect to say Microsoft "copied" this from the iPhone.

3. buymeaniphone macrumors 6502

buymeaniphone

Very true, it does take some time to put this stuff together and 3 months wouldn't have been long enough.
    Either way you can't zoom in and out with multi touch like the iPhone so I dont think browsing with Windows Mobile devices will be as easy.

4. MacbookSwitcher macrumors 6502

MacbookSwitcher

Browsing with multi-touch will not be easy, either. One major advantage of the Treo and Blackberry is one-handed browsing (you use the five-way navigator with the same hand you're holding the device with). But with multi touch, you have to use both hands to browse, which could be more inconvenient (one hand to hold, the other to touch the screen).

I personally am not sold on multi-touch, but I want to use it first before making a judgement.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How you figure that? Deepfish is a web browser, not a Moon shot. It's not even a web browser, it's a demo. It is not like Microsoft had to build it from scratch. Windows Mobile already exists. IE already exists. It has been nearly three months since the iPhone was introduced. This is ample time for Microsoft to develop a demo browser for Windows Mobile.

6. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

http://on10.net/Blogs/larry/exclusive-video-new-mobile-web-browser--deepfish/

Tech was borrowed for this as well.

On the multitouch thing (although MacbookSwitcher won't see this since he can't actually have a discussion) Apple seems to be going for a different experience. A more immersive and full web experience.

I rarely use 4 way nav to browse on my Treo, I always use two hands. If I have to use one I tap with my finger to click. I scroll at times with the 4 way nav, but I think one could easily use their thumb on the iphone to scroll on the screen. Just as a manage to get my thumb to the middle of the Treo to scroll. With the iPhone it seems the point of contact would be closer and be less of a strain.

Regardless, if I am browsing the web I am using two hands. Thats just me though. Personally I see myself doing more one handed on the iPhone than on my current Treo, if not the browser is better anyway :)

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Why? I can use my iPod with one hand...hold it, and use the thumb to "press" things down...seems simple...no?

8. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Woah, WOAH! Don't make it sound like the iPhone is actually going to be GOOD or easy to use! Get the hell out!

/sarcasm

9. MacbookSwitcher macrumors 6502

MacbookSwitcher

The iPod doesn't have multi-touch, so that is irrelevant.

Multi-touch requires two hands. You must touch the screen on two places at once, which requires an entire hand. The other hand would be used to hold the device.

I think multi-touch makes sense for alot of applications (medical, engineering, CAD, anything that uses large screen displays), but perhaps not for mobile devices.

10. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Well at least iPhone's Safari scrolls smoothly. Hopefully further Deepfish betas will give more instantaneous feedback to the user on where, what and how far they're scrolling. It seems unusable in its current incarnation if that video is to be looked at as a pinnacle of performance.

Multitouch may require two hands, but that doesn't mean Safari on the iPhone requires multitouch or two hands. Double-tapping an area zooms that area in, and the screen looks narrow enough to support scrolling with a person's thumb. Multitouch offers an alternative to browsing when you have both hands free in much the same way the stylus does.

11. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I think you don't have to use two fingers. For zooming you can double tab the screen.

But we will see in June.

I really want to get my hands on one of the iPhones.

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Grow another finger and stop whining... :)p !)

No, you're right. The iPhone appears to be primarily used with two hands. If you can call & receive with one hand, it won't be a huge problem. I txt with both hands anyway (extra speed), so that wouldn't matter to me. I don't see many people sending emails or playing with their photos with something in their other hand.

Plus, it's the most hyped phone in history. Do you seriously want to walk around in public with just one hand clinging onto it? :D