Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most Germans speak English ?

What is the purpose of this if most of the world speaks English ?

I can understand translating documents and such but what percentage of the user base is going to use this tool ?

More vapor ware from Microsoft .

bighype

macrumors regular
May 1, 2014
Apple still has no translation service. Both Google and MS have been investing heavily into translation.

Not to worry because Tim Cook's Apple is investing into urban brands, however.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Pretty funny: They present an "innovation"...

However, it is not even pre-alpha. Neither of the sentences translated to German made any sense. Event the simplest ones were a collection of German words translated word by word from the English text. Words were not put in the correct form (tense, ...) and the combination of words never made any sense.

If that is state of the art, it will never leave pre-pre-pre-alpha - the quality of the translation has not improved during the last 10 years and is still far from being used in any way.

So probably "crazy eyes" was the only German they could find at Microsoft who was willing to make fun of the English audience.

If it has to wait for things to be arranged in the correct structure it wouldn't be real time translation would it.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
I have to say. I'm extremely impressed in satya. Microsoft got lucky with this CEO

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011

I can understand translating documents and such but what percentage of the user base is going to use this tool ?

Agreed. This is Microsoft, the company known to over-promise and under-deliver.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!

I'm afraid you are wrong, I've been to plenty of places in Germany where I had to stammer my way through the local lingo. It wasn't pretty! ;)

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Performed "pretty good", perhaps they should start by teaching people how to speak English

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009

Most of the world doesn't speak English.

----------

I'm afraid you are wrong, I've been to plenty of places in Germany where I had to stammer my way through the local lingo. It wasn't pretty! ;)

It does depend on where you are, though. I live in a city with a very popular university and I had a lot of difficulties practicing my German because close to everybody I ran into spoke English.

But yeah, it's not universal that all Germans everywhere speak English. There are even some who do who definitely shouldn't :)

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
The problem with automatic translation is simple: it does not work. Because it needs real artificial intelligence (the machine must understand the meaning). The HAL utopia will arrive eventually, but not yet. This is just a promotional plot from Microsoft.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
when they can shrink it , shape it like a fish and I can stick it in my ear I'll buy :D

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
If it has to wait for things to be arranged in the correct structure it wouldn't be real time translation would it.

Thats why professional real time translators are one sentence behind. Every time. And their brains guess WAAAYYYYYY better than any artificial intelligence in near existence. Language is NOT logical and therefore computer are still inferior to humans.

cmaus

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
Germany
Stupid

I have to say this looks very stupid.
The presenter here talks normally into Skype.
Skype recognizes his English words flawlessly - but the translation is worse than Google translate.
The German lady is terrible. I think she's really German but she doesn't speak normally. Instead she keeps showing her teeth and tries to smile in an awkward way instead of just looking naturally. She says one word at a second. And she tries to speak every letter of it as if that was necessary in order to Skype being able to understand her AND give a correct translation.

The only natural looking/sounding parts here were the speaking of the presenter and the English translation.
The German part is terrible.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

Not as well as you might think. Younger Germans might still remember their school English but unless they take an interest in English language culture (typically films and music) their English isn't all that. Foreign films and tv series are usually dubbed into German. German is a major European language and travels a bit, especially into neighbouring countries, so there is less incentive to learn English unlike in some of the smaller European countries.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
A: "Hi, where are you?"
B: "我在干货计价处"
Gan11.jpg

"I am at **** the certain price of goods!"
A: "what the ****?"

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009

You can't translate a sentence in German in real time. You have to have the entire sentence from start to finish before you can ascertain it's meaning. I'm assuming it's like this for many, if not most languages.

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
Good from a far, but far from good.

The sad part is that English and German both belong to the Germanic language group.
Even while English has a North-Germanic sentence structure and German has West-Germanic sentence structure, there isn't so much difference.

Lets see what happens when they use it between an English speaker and a Spanish/French/Portuguese/Italian speaker.
The Romanic languages have a complete different sentence structure than the Germanic languages...
If the software doesn't process a minimum 1 sentence behind the realtime conversation, it's going to become ugly very fast.

Baumi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
Another German speaker here. I agree with the general impression in this thread: It's a cool concept, but I can't see anything revolutionary in the execution. Basically, it looks like they plugged a speech recognition engine into a translation service which in turn sends its output to a text-to-speech engine. None of these components perform horribly bad, but neither are they any better than the competitors' offerings.

Natural speech processing seems to work comparatively well for English but not so well for German, hence the German lady's strange speech pattern. (Or they just wanted to make extra sure that there were no recognition errors showing up in the English translation.) The English->German translation itself seems to be as accurate or inaccurate as Bing Translate. Some sentences are almost spot on, others are a complete mess. Generally, it's the same quality you get from any current translation engine. You just can't tell from the German->English translation, since they used extremely unnatural German phrasing to give good English results.

All in all: Nice idea, but Google could probably put together something almost identical in a very short time. They already have all the parts they need, they just need to pipe output from one to the other. Apple isn't quite there, though – AFAIK they don't have a suitable translation engine. (Next on Tim Cook's shopping list, maybe?)

Sethp

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
Looks impressive, my german skills are quite limited so I only noticed one flaw and its not a huge one. It translated "great trip" to "große reise" which means huge or large trip, which great also means but not in this context.

When entering the sentence "That's nice i hope you have a great trip" in to google translate google does the same misstake.

but when entering "That's nice i hope you have a great trip, its been nice talking to you" Google gets it right by writing "... ich hoffe, dass Sie eine toll Reise..."

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
This is the signal processing departement trying to rescue itself from the inevitable coming out of the truth: They can't break the 95%-Barrier.

Neural networks :p *chuckles*

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
That does look pretty cool. Keep up the great work Microsoft. You've been giving Apple a run for their money in areas you'd think Apple would excel.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
That does look pretty cool. Keep up the great work Microsoft. You've been giving Apple a run for their money in areas you'd think Apple would excel.

You will need to remind me what applications Apple have released in recent times that were worth bothering with.

Excluding operating systems, I genuinely can't think of any must-have software developed by Apple in recent times. They have released a few handy apps for iOS but that's about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.