Microsoft did something Cool!?!

Discussion in 'Community' started by sturm375, Mar 25, 2003.

1. sturm375 macrumors 6502

Over the weekend I picked up a new game for my PC. Freelancer from Microsoft. Other companies have their stamp on it as well, and I don't know how much M$ did, but it's the best game I've seen in many years.

Freelancer

If I had a broadband connection I'd be temped to play this online in multiplayer mode. It could be real fun. The most enjoyable aspect of this is the ability to do just about anything you want, any way you want.

Just thought it was Cool, what do you think?

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

One of my friends bought this game, and I must say it's quite fun. A comepletely open universe. You can be a hero (storyline), pirate, cargo pilot, anything. Ah, the life of a cargo pilot...long runs, dodging pirates, ship maintainence, what fun!

3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

It's not a Microsoft game at all - they only publish it. Just like book companies. Microsoft does publish books as well, I think.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Wonder how well it would work with Virtual PC?

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

6. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I doubt it would work well at all with VPC. It's got very high end graphics. Purely speculation, though.

7. sturm375 thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe VPC on a Power970 PowerMac:D

Seriously though, there are some serious graphics in this game. I am running it on an AMD AthlonXP 2100+, 512 MB DDR400 RAM, GeForce4 Ti4600, and in a big dog-fight there are still some slow-downs. Probably just a M$ "Feature" though.

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

no game is ever worth playing on virtual pc, just build a pc unless you just want to run kazaa. freelancer did look like a cool game, our pc tech loves it so much. i just recently got raven shield and im having a blast. especially since ive been watching the war lately i find it relieving to watch black hawk down, and play splinter cell and ravenshield.

iJon

9. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I wanted to get the game but heard from a friend it was online only, is this true?

If not I will go out and get it today since there are not many good space shooter games on the PC, the last good one was FreeSpace 2.

10. howard macrumors 68020

howard

sounds kinda like a 3-d ev nova.

back when i had a pc i played the first asherons call...got addicted in fact. that was another thing microsoft did that was cool in my opinion. I loved that game.

11. sturm375 thread starter macrumors 6502

So far, I'm playing exclusively Off-Line. It has a rich story line, plus, as said before, there is plenty of places to explore outside the story line.

It's just plain fun!

If you have a decent PC (you might have to limit the graphics, and reduce the resolution) get it!

12. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

13. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I have a AMD 2000XP with Radeon8500 and 512MB DDR RAM, so from what people have said it looks like I will have to put graphics down a bit.

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I thought for a minute Freelancer had something to do with the Alias TV show, since Jennifer Garner's character's code name is Freelancer. But no. That's ok, since there is already an Alias-themed game named Alias Underground, which is free.

Note: This thread should be in Mac Gaming, not Community Discussion.

15. sturm375 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't put in Mac Gaming because it's not a Mac Game. As far as I know it's only available for the PC.:(

hvfsl: With the rig you described, you ought to come real close to being able to run with full graphics. I run at 1024x768 @ 32-bit with everything turned on.

16. Rags macrumors member

I was about to say, my old 1Ghz Athlon T-bird, 768Mb SDRAM, Geforce 3 plays Battlefield 1942 with "mid graphics" just fine but I don't play in servers over 32 players. So if your system slows down with this game I shouldn't even look into it. But you're running at very high levels so...... nevermind.

17. Independence macrumors regular

i played the demo of Freelancer some time ago. seems like an ok game. it ran "ok" on my PC (amd duron 800 mhz, 256mb sdram, geforce 4 mx 440 64mb) though im quite sure i had the graphics toned down a bit.

18. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

19. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

of all the crap that comes out of microsoft, they have come out with some pretty good games
    or at least games that they put their "seal of approval" on

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Flight Simulator was a marvel both when it first came out and later as it developed. It was written by Bruce Artwick in 1979 and developed in partnership with Microsoft in the 80s and 90s. See The Story of Flight Simulator for details.

I was never any good at it, but I could always appreciate the cleverness of the idea and the evolving implementation.

21. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

thanks. that was an interesting article
    it would be cool to get my hands on a really old version of the game (not so old that it's wireframe). does anybody know anything about that?