Microsoft discontinues 98 support

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacFan26, Dec 12, 2003.

1. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

2. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

3.11 rocks!

pretty intuitive for the basic tasks a lot of newbies do at home....

ohhh nice was that time... I still have access to 3.11 and really like it...

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Well, as much as I'd like to take a moment to bash Microsoft, I think this is fair. Apple has abandoned OS 9 support, and OS 9 is newer than Win98. And many, many people still use OS 9.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It sounds as though it is not 100% abandonment. After January 16th online support will still be available and if the need arises a security patch.

What will Apple still do for OS 9?

5. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

i'm in that 20% who still suffer to use winblowz 98se -aka sir crashalot-

but i'm waiting to hear from uchic(see my signature)- maybe then i can get an edu-discounted apple laptop, and leave behind this little monster.

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

7. Independence macrumors regular

Re: 3.11 rocks!

Indeed. I still like Windows 3.11 and have it on my old Thinkpad. It's the only (good) version of Windows that'll run on it without losing its network drivers over time. :rolleyes:

My Thinkpad is a little too old for Windows 2000 or one of the newer flavors of Linux.

8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

If W98 is Sir Crashalot, then whats Windows ME?

One company I worked for had Windows ME installed on their video editing machine. I had to restart every hour, often losing work because it kept crashing.

Win98 was the second best OS M$ ever made, I think Windows 2000pro is the best, since it is more stable/faster than XP.

9. cubist macrumors 68020

I agree with you on w2k being the best, but I think I'd put NT4 in 2nd place and 98 in 3rd.

98 is good enough for most people, runs most software, and works well in VPC.

10. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

I would have to say that Win98 has been the most stable edition of WIndows I have used. 95 crashed "a LOT" on me and I could never set up a network satisfactorily. I use XP at work and find it... cludgy. Even before I bought my first Mac I felt awkward using XP. I found myself using 98 when I could. Now that I have a Mac I dread booting up my Dell.

Its actually kind of sad to see it 'go' for me. The first laptop I bought had 98 installed. That laptop and I had a lot of good memories. Its gone now but.... well this entry is just getting WAY to sentimental. :(

11. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

Win2k is still the best of the windows OS. 98 is good too.