Microsoft drops IE support.

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 19, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, it's about time that piece of pooh is put to the rest...

And imagine that at one point in time, pre-Safari and pre-Firefox, for a very short time, that was actually the best browser... :rolleyes:

3. macrumors regular

xtbfx

Woop-te-freakin'-do

4. Moderator emeritus

yellow

YAY! <pops some champagne>

5. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

LMFAO.

They're recommending that people move to Apple's Safari. :p

6. macrumors 6502a

Another victim

Another MS piece of crap gone by the way side. Why that app ever became popular is beyond me. I know PC people blindly use it. :)

7. macrumors 6502a

I wonder if anyone is still using that crap?!

8. macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Considering I was forced to use IE for my medical school applications (AMCAS), I find this slightly disturbing. AMCAS does not support Safari or Firefox, and will LOCK you out of the application unless you have and run IE.

Not too worried at the moment, but if I lose IE from my computer, I won't be able to download a copy from Microsoft? Heh, should prove interesting for next year.

(I used Safari when filling out my AMCAS using the Debug menu to show that I was using IE ... bad idea. My application ended up slightly mangled, and I can't change it =/)

IE is still used unfortunately, this is a little surprising.

9. macrumors 68000

Wasn't this on MB about a month ago? Why the repost?

10. macrumors 603

Stella

Ironically, the Mac version was superior to the windows version.

However, these days, thats not saying much when comparing against standards compliance browsers such as Gecko based browsers, Opera and of course, Safari and other webkit based browsers.

11. macrumors 601

There is no question that Safari and FF (and meny more) are better browsers than IE on a Mac, but as Over Achiever said, there are still those rare times when it is absolutely necessary. Are we to be forever left out in the cold just because we happen to run a Mac? I'm glad all of my Macs already have IE installed.

12. macrumors 65816

Photorun

Now if Microshaft REALLY had mercy on the masses they'd stop making and end all IE support on Windoze!

13. macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I was just about to post a message asking the Gods for similar relief. Thank you for concisely expressing the same sentiment.

14. macrumors 68000

It's still the same with the different versions of Office - the Mac version is faster, looks nicer and has more features :confused:

15. macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Unfortunantly people still do. Some people on my college campus are so igrorant and dont know what safari is. Me being a mac person and having taken my iBook to class the first day i nwas always asked "how do i get on the internet?" then, "were is Internet Explorer." I kept showing them safari but i would always get the "were is IE" question again.

I think because the name of the application has "Internet" in it they know what it is supposed to be used for. Not to mention they expect IE to be on the computer.

There are the rare instances that IE needs to be used but it should not be that way.

16. macrumors 601

I agree completely that IE should not be necessary, but unfortunately it still is in some instances. :( That is why I am glad that IE is already installed on all of my Macs.

17. macrumors 601

Yvan256

Just like a lot of Mac users blindly use Safari. Not that I'm comparing the two, just that they're both pre-installed and the default browser on their own platform.

18. macrumors 601

Yvan256

Don't you mean "they'd stop making Windoze"? ;)

19. macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

At my school computer lab, the dock is filled with many many applications ... not one of them is Safari. I have to manually open the applications folder and run Safari from there.

People when they use my laptop look for the IE icon to connect to the internet ... they have no idea that Safari is an internet browser. Many have been confused trying to check their e-mail on my laptop.

*shrug* IE is still used today.

20. Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think part of the reason IE still exists in numbers on Mac OS X boxes is from switchers. Remember a lot of computer users out there don't do much on them. Email, surfin', IMing, personal finances, etc. If you were a WindowsLifer and only knew IE and switched to a Mac, that'd be the first thing you looked for "to get on the internet".

Of course, the whole shift to FireFox has helped teach people that there ARE alternatives to IE for web browsers out there, but most folks that switched to FF don't really know why they did, just that someone suggested it to them and gave them some vague reasons why..

This is also the reason Symantec is still in business, IMO, but that's another story.

I HATE sites that "require" IE or another particular browser. That's just LAZINESS on the part of the webdev. Sheer laziness.

21. macrumors 68000

Why not add it to the dock?

22. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Since it's a lab box, they're probably reset ever night to defaults. So adding it during the day only to have to do it again tomorrow gets pointless.

23. macrumors P6

~Shard~

I can't even remember the last time I used IE on my Mac. Good riddance, by now everyone is using Safari and Firefox anyway.

So, how long until MS drops IE support for Windows due to lack of popularity? :eek: ;) :cool:

24. macrumors 603

Warbrain

I remember when I hated IE enough in OS 9 that I used iCab, Netscape, and Mozilla. Those were the good ol' days...

Good riddance, IE.

25. macrumors regular

MS says "Move to Safari"

This is easy for MS to say. There are several of us who use on-line bill pay for certain payments. Some of these payments require the use of IE. I have emailed the vendors requiring IE that they start to support Safari. How much good this will do, I don't know.
    I suggest that any other members that have this problem do the same, it may help.