Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
I've been an avid Apple fan for a number of years, but recently I have actually been quite amazed at the progress Microsoft has been making in revolutionizing
the way touch screens are used in computers. Though many people may laugh at me when I say this, Windows 8 and the Surface RT/Pro remind me of the old days when Apple used to really innovate. I just wish Microsoft had the marketing expertise that Apple has in appealing to the average consumer.

I don't understand why people keep bashing the RT/Pro and saying it should be priced at $99, and such nonsense. It can do so many more things than the iPad and includes a full version of Office. It's the perfect mix of productivity and casual tablet use.

Also, why on earth should the Surface Pro be priced to compete with an iPad? It's a full-fledged computer, for goodness sakes! I'm not going to write a mid-term paper on an iPad, nor can the iPad handle programs like Visual Studio or Civilization. Please do your research next time and stop listening to tech blog writers who don't take the time to fully research the benefits/drawbacks of both products.

Yes of course, because I always use visual studio and play Civ V on my surface RT. Er, well, I can on Surface Pro. Kind of, with a bit of work (to adjust the settings for magnification for Civ 5's touch interface for instance). Is it a full computer? Yes. And it performs like an underpowered computer smashed into a tablet, legacy and all. They can be nice enough, but you aren't going to be using one as a dev machine. Microsoft needs to get into the "do a few things and do them well through design and optimization" strategy before they slosh more unneeded cruft on every device that makes it out the door. Surface is the perfect opportunity to release an OS with the legacy portions stripped out and the OS streamlined. People are not going to be using those machines to run legacy dos apps, and businesses who need that functionality have other options, such as VMs. Their entire approach is silly.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
No built-in productivity software? Oh no! That means it's totally not available at $10 per app! (Overly expensive annual subscription not included with purchase of iWork)

NOS2U

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
The poor tablet from Microsoft

Saw this coming. Microsoft, you can do better.

JamesInLA

macrumors member
May 28, 2012
They are still too expensive. What Microsoft needed to do was come out at $99 for about 6 months to a year. Yes, they would take a major loss in the short term, but hear me out.

You sell initially at a loss to get a lot of market share, because in today's world that is where it counts. Once they had established the marketshare, then they could sell at normal prices that they can make a profit off of.

This is assuming that people actually liked Windows tablets (clearly they don't).

Have you noticed that, apart from the equally ridiculous Chromebook line, tech products are never priced like this? You don't rush out with a low price, get people hooked, and then multiply the price. The early adopters are the ones willing to pay more, not the late adopters.

For an example of doing it right, look at the MacBook Air. Came out as a premium product, arguably under-spec'ed and over-priced. Sold like hotcakes. Now it's the entry-level product; faster, better, and cheaper.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
RT is complete utter garbage we can all agree there. As for surface pro. It's a good device in theory, but it's just too demanding for a tablet right now. Why would I buy a tablet that weighs over 2 pounds, if I can buy an ultrabook with a bigger screen and better specs at the same price point. If they upgrade the storage, lower the price point, and significantly increase the battery life then it could really kick off. If they pull their cards right, they can save this device in the next gen but it will never compete with the iPad, which has a 3 year solid head start on it. Nor does it have to. This tablet should market to the productivity people. People who want the tablet-hybrid experience that can do everything a laptop can. But Microsoft wants it to compete with the iPad for some reason, which I don't really understand. It's the poor marketing that's killing it.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
"Microsoft Forced to Slash Surface RT Prices Despite Vigorous Anti-iPad Ad Campaign"

Whoever made this title is obviously joyed by the news ;)

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
How does MR know that Microsoft is forced to slash prices, and isn't just trying to clear out inventory for the refresh? When Apple does it, MR doesn't seem to post stories about how the iPhone is failing to sell.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The iPad is so good that it is extremely hard for them to compite with it. The key reason, IMO, is that carriers had little, if any, traction with tablets (they are not subsidized) and it is a retail game.

Carriers push Android so hard since it's the platform that they can control and add crapwares ("value-added services"), even on the iPhone, they try to install those homescreen "bookmark" icons to point to their websites before you leave their store...:p

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
i respect microsoft for getting into the tablet game, but i wouldn't call it innovation until it is useful. they merely put out an attempt that pissed off both tablet lovers and window lovers like myself. i hate windows 8 coming from someone without a touchscreen and even if i did, i can't imagine ever like touching my monitor to do things when i can use a mouse.

Windows is meant to be for people who have more needs that can't be addressed with a tablet. I think microsoft is actually approaching this wrong. it can't be top down with desktops becoming more like tablets, it has to be tablets becoming more like desktops and we're just not here yet in terms of power.

that's actually why i appreciate apple. apple rarely puts out a half-thought out product. i look at microsoft surface and i'm confused. why would i ever spend money on an RT? It's a crap tablet with limited apps. Pro forces me to make compromises that I dont' want to make and I'd still much prefer a macbook air and an ipad. When the time comes where tablets can drive more and more productivity, they will slowly innovate touch controls into it.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I am surprised MS is not throwing in concert tickets with the purchase of a MS tablet. Just imagine how many more tablets they could sell.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
How does MR know that Microsoft is forced to slash prices, and isn't just trying to clear out inventory for the refresh? When Apple does it, MR doesn't seem to post stories about how the iPhone is failing to sell.

When did Apple cut iPhone prices?

----------

The concept of a super-thin screen-cover, with real mechanical keys, that snaps on magnetically, in a choice of colors, IS genuinely interesting and appealing.

I give full credit to Logitech who did it first:

(And Apple who started the colorful magnetic lid thing to begin with.)

Yeah, if I had an iPad, I'd definitely get one of those. I'd probably not use an iPad for work without a keyboard.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
If you don't let the wild ducks fly, you don't know where to guide the flock!

One fatal flaw of Windows 8 Surface tablets is this SecureBoot they put into the design. The hottest hardware Microsoft followed had Linux or another OS on it first. Hell, it's simpler to Jailbreak an iPad then mess with this SecureBoot issue.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Because its no secret that the RT has a very high return rate and poor sales. This has been going on for a long time now. iPhone failing to sell?? Show proof! I'll wait!

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Because its no secret that the RT has a very high return rate and poor sales. This has been going on for a long time now. iPhone failing to sell?? Show proof! I'll wait!

The iPhone's sales did actually dip recently, especially on Verizon. However, I haven't heard of an iPhone price cut.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I think Msoft are crazy with that touch cover price.

They really should bundle that either for free or make it at most a quarter of it's price.

They used old tech, and low rez screen.
Irrespective of what Apple fans here say, spec is important as the tech guys love it and will shout about it to others lower down the chain.

In time I could be interested in some type of Windows tablet as it will run al I want, the way I want it, but it's got to really be dam good speed and screen wise, and priced well.

Irrespective of what Apple fans here say, spec is important...

Last time I checked the spec of an iPad 4...and its 2048 x 1536 IPS screen is surely higher spec than that of the Windows RT..um what else? 60fps UI, the CPU+GPU, oh, and the length (or aspect ratio; holding up a 16:9 tablet in portrait mode surely is not a pleasant experience)! ;)

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Haven't read all the responses but from the few I saw, it's pretty much what I expected. The surface isn't a bad device. I rather like mine for different reasons that I like my iPad. It does things the iPad can't and those things are what I use it for.

Those saying what a POS it is have most likely never used one.... and no, tapping on one in the store isn't using it. I however expect nothing less from some of the good ol FB's here on MR.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Still too expensive for my taste, I personally love Windows 8.1, so I wouldn't mind having one, but certainly not at that price.

Speaking frankly though I think It's fair to say Windows 8 and all it's devices have sadly been a failure.

I still can't believe companies are still producing those laptop convertibles, where you can use them as tablets.

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
"Hi, I'm an iPad." "And I'm a Surface. Hey iPad, I have this great feature, it's called multitasking." "I do one thing, and I do it well. People seem to like that. What were your sales like last quarter?" "...Shut up."

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
MR doesn't seem to post stories about how the iPhone is failing to sell.

Probably b/c the iPhone 5 is the best selling iPhone of all time. MR posts reports by analysts all the time though on how iPhones sales growth rate is stalling. So seems you need find some actual facts to support your rant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.