Microsoft + G5 + Games + XBox = WHAT!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by waynepixel, Dec 10, 2004.

1. waynepixel macrumors regular

2. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

Those in the gaming world have known the sad fact that the next gen consoles will both use the G5 for a while. Allthought it would not be all that bad for Sony to use it in the PS3, a PPC processor in a Microsoft box is blasphemous. :(

3. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Why is m$ going with a G5 chip? Does it whoop the pants of the other chips? If so I wonder how m$ feels about going PPC? :D Justice in a sense, maybe?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I can think of a few reasons, which IIRC Microsoft has acknowledged. The original Xbox was really just an Intel-based PC with ROMs designed to prevent cracking, and being converted to "just an Intel-based PC." Not only can the Xbox run non-Xbox Intel software; once cracked, it is possible to run Xbox games on regular Intel-based PCs. With the PPC, clearly the Xbox 2 cannot be converted to "just an Intel-based PC," thus preserving the proprietary nature of the Xbox 2. The Xbox 2 must be able to run Xbox games in emulation. Apple, Insignia Solutions, and Connectix have already proven that the PPC is really great at emulation. Because the Xbox 2 runs on a Windows NT kernel, Microsoft experience with NT PPC gets a headstart in its transition to a non-Intel processor. Oh, how could I forget? The PPC is power efficient and inexpensive.

5. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

6. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

So when this happens is it going to become a huge boom for the Mac gaming community? Will it be possible to see a direct X for Mac or at least someone doing a hack of some sort?

Its kinda interesting that an Apple processor will become one of the biggest gaming systems around.

7. kerb macrumors regular

not an Apple processor

just the processor found in Apple machines

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Reread my post to do your own research on the Xbox 2. The Xbox 2 is based on the Win NT kernel. MacOS X runs on the Mach kernel. The two are not the same.

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

A scary thought behind this is Microsoft could release Windows for G5. :(

10. Devie macrumors 6502a

MS arn't the only ones using the PowerPC.
    Sony, Toshiba and IBM's "Cell" works around a PowerPC chip with the PS3, also IBM and ATi are helping Nintendo design its guts of the "Revolution", with it also being rumored to have a PowerPC chip.

Also, MS have sent off modified PowerMac G5's as early dev. kits for developers of the Xbox 2, old news but some people might not know yet...

11. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

IBM is deving the PS2, IBM is deving the Revoloution, IBM is deving the Xenon. IBM SHOULD be spending more on making more G5 chips, due to demand.