Microsoft "Gadgets"

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iGary, Sep 13, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Man thats soooooooooo not on, I hate windows even more! :mad: Damn you Gatesy

p.s. Check out the recycle bin, direct copy! WTF

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Is this for real?! You would have at least credited them with coming up a name for this 'new category of mini-application' that doesn't sound like 'Widget'...

Of course, it's only fair to point out that Konfabulator was keeping us informed via Widgets long before Tiger was announced, so Apple themselves aren't amiss when it comes to picking up ideas from elsewhere...

3. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Do you think Apple could get any loyalties, in a law suit. However Apple got it from Konfubulator.

One thing that will be known is that Apple will remain, having better implemented it.

4. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Konfab isn't the originator of this.

[​IMG]

5. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Thanks Blackheart ;) , but these wee kiddies wouldn't remember that.

Yes folks Kanfabulator is just an exploitation of what Apple had already developed long before Windows was ever born.

6. firststrike101 macrumors member

thats just pathetic. winblowz is a waste of time.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^But Apple would never have thought to implement it again if they didn't realize that what Konfabulator did was actually pretty cool. ;)

8. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Dear Microsoft,
    Please stop being idiots.
    I'll give you a piece of cake!

Oh, come on!

Also, rename your OS "OS X-tra crashes"
    That would be cool.

Love,
    Kt

9. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Now I'm waiting for MS to patent the "Gadget" concept and make Apple pay royalties....

11. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I believe before apple took the name "widgets" they were infact calling them "gadgets". Steve mentiones them this way a few times in early keynotes. STRAIGHT UP SNAGGLE!

12. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

You keep telling yourself that :rolleyes: Of course Apple have always waited for someone else to use the technology they had developed into something that actually always existed and then implemented it themselves.....again, like desktop folders and a speaking computer for example.

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

WOW if you could find one of those keynote for me? wow MS real is crap they do nothing new yet Windows is still leading the OS. Its crasy :confused:

14. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

normally im not one to totally hate up on windows but when i see things like this i get soo pissed off

15. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

This is true.

16. Eluon macrumors regular

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's not really fair on the gay people around here. Unless you meant GAY which would obviously stand for Greviously Annoying Yams, although that wouldn't really have made sense. :(

18. RobHague macrumors 6502

Wow :eek: :eek: :eek:

This is just... wow. How can they get away with that? Calling them 'gagets' is almost laughing in the face of OSX while saying "Haha we have it now". That on top of their new answer to Spotlight, their pilliging of 'fancy' effects and of course the 'expose' like features - Has anyone thought that even the 'Dock' isnt safe - Sidebar! Think about it - Taskbar and Sidebar. Just like OSX with its top bar and dock.

MS isnt content with their monopoly and market share?? Shouldnt be allowed, and i would have expected to see something more original from Microsoft anyway... its not going to push the 'envelope' if all we see are idea's moving from one OS to another..

19. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Wow... what a stupid name. It sounds so poorly placed and these people are EXCITED about it? What is wrong!

20. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Well, considering that Apple originally called widgets Gadgets, I'm sure you'll sing a different tune. (They didn't adopt "Widgets" until after Konfabulator coined it)

21. wozzlewoozle macrumors regular

I'm not that big a fan of widgets and I know others who feel the same, so if microsoft really want something like this in their OS go for it. But, I feel that there are many other shortcomings that they should be focusing on instead of these sorts of things.

22. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

No doubt MS implementation of these so called "gadgets" and "sidebar" etc will make for yet another bloated and vulnerable OS. Let's face it people regardless of whether MS have ripped off an idea or not, they program them poorly and they never work as they should (or as Apple's do).

Perhaps instead of MS Vista they should consider calling it MS Vespa, after all it will probably chug along like one :D

23. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I'm a member of the camp who says that Apple was influenced by Konfabulator, but had their own ideas going. Desk Accesories, etc. Apple maybe made it very Konfabulator-like, but it a much easier fashion. Overall, Konfabulator had a great idea... but Apple's was better. Similar but better.

Think about the cycles for working on OSs. Apple probably had widget's in the works before Panther hit 10.3.9 (see above), because Tiger wasn't Alpha to Gold Master in a year.

"Have you ever wondered how new technologies get developed in Apple? Wonder how a cool idea goes from incubation to release? Well, we’re excited to announce that we’ve started a blog designed to bring you closer to the process with the Gadgets blog and we’re kicking it off at the ADC."
    Not that many changes and suddenly... :rolleyes:

24. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

P.S. Can you also only include the new version of Solitare in the release? I'm not interested in anything else.

P.P.S. Can you please chare me $8000 dollars for Windows OS Crashy Bad Rip Off Of Apple Edition?

P.P.P.S. Will you include an ad-ware widget *cough* excuse me, GADGET, so that I can save myself the hassle of even loading up internet explorer to get my daily dose of mal-ware?