Microsoft hired someone to create this OS-X Virus/Trojan/EvilScript!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Harthansen, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Harthansen macrumors member

Jul 17, 2002
    Whatever this virus thing maybe weather or not it is a Virus/Trojan or just a malicious script who else thinks it was written by Microsoft? I mean what the virus does is totally out of the norm for normal virus creators. This bad press for apple is just what microsoft needs right now, proof that OS-X can be just as vulnerable as Windows. Of course the problem with Windows is not it's Vulnerability but the fact the it is basically a bad copy of OS-9, completely unstable, but most of the population doesn't know that. But this will be all over the news and Miscrosoft could spend billions of dollars in advertising and never get this much good press out of it.

Bill Gates is totally evil and he has and will do whatever it takes to keep control the PC market. ie. anyone know what happened to the Microsoft Anti-trust lawsuit?
    No Matter what apple says they will release OS-X for PC's. No company is going to turn down the kind of money and power that would grant apple. Not to mention some else will come up with a way to do it if Apple won't. If Apple doesn't release it themselves they stand to lose alot of money in sales or rather the the lack of sales.
    Steve just wants to keep Microsoft off balance, and unprepared for OS-X to compete directly with Windows, so Steve lies about not making OS-X available to PC users. This tactic obviously isn't working. Microsoft is scared to death about the thought that they would have to compete against a completely better OS (One they steal from every release, take look at Vista if you need proof!) These kind of underhanded attacks is basically all Microsoft has left in it's arsenal to compete with Apple. Except of course releasing a OS that works correctly, but why would they do that?
    Creating a virus is much easier and cheaper. I am sure they have a workforce hidden away in some thrid world country working around the clock looking for ways to make Apple look bad before Apple can release OS-X for Pc's. Not to mention it is exactly what I would do if I was Bill Gates. Yeah so I might be evil to if I was facing the loss of billions, and incredibile power.
    I mean you think Xbox would be anything more then a bad Saga release, if it were not for the popularity of Windows? This attack takes Apple down a peg, which with the power of iTunes and alot of the tech. industry rooting for Apple, since MS. has been such a controlling monoply. Bill gates is starting to realize that Apple can finally win this thing in the late third decade of PC's
  2. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
  3. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    uh...not bloody likely.

your hyperbole aside, the only possible commonality between this Trojan and your conspiracy theory is that it appears to be rather poorly written - which Microsoft knows a little about. I am sure it was written by an independent little prick with to much time on his hands...

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Hmm...something fishy with the original poster the way he writes OS-9 and OS-X. It looks like an x86 PC user to me.

Microsoft isn't likely to care. If there was someone writing some malware, it would be the anti-virus software makers, since they're unable to sell much. Of course, Symantec knows so little about writing software for any Macintosh that they're the leading source of malware for Mac OS X--and they charge for it.
  5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    I think you're crazy and full of ****. You'd get along great with this guy.
  6. rye9 macrumors 65816

Sep 20, 2005
    New York (not NYC)
    Personally, I dont think Microsoft would do such a thing. And if that was the case, that wouldn't mean anything. Anybody who wants to and has the knowledge could probably do make a virus if they are that heartless. There will probably be a few more people in the future like that who will try to make a Mac virus. We just have to keep our eyes open and minds focused so we can tell when a virus appears again. But the bright side is Windows has thousands of viruses, one Mac virus still looks a lot better compared to Windows; although being able to say theres a 0% threat of viruses sounds very appealing. It makes me wonder why Windows achieved such a large marketshare.
  7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    In a word, no. You'll be telling us next Microsoft faked the moon landings.
  8. Timepass macrumors 65816

Jan 4, 2005
    lol. Something like this is not M$ style. Now buying apple out or buying up software creators for apple is more of M$ style. They have other ways to deal with apple. Besides apple is noughting more than a small thorn in M$ side. Linux is a much larger threat to them that apple. Apple power is over blown by the media and how big of a threat they really are.
  9. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    The possibility is real, but unlikely. The mere fact that this was coded "poorly" doesn't indicate that this person is a Windows user, however, it does suggest that this person does have some knowledge of how spotlight works, the possibilities of users not having to enter passwords, and how to spread it through iChat. To me this suggests they may be a member of the Apple Developer Connection (anybody can be) but gives ample reasoning that this person has in the past coded something else for spotlight, and this person is familiar with Unix.

The Trojan itself is a "proof of concept" and gives way to future vulnerabilities.

This person knew that he would have to have the end user initiate the script, and could not launch it without their knowledge. This explains the reason behind their tactic to display it as images that a lot of people would like to see.

While it is possible that MS or an anti-virus company is behind this (think of the Devinci Virus scandal of the mid- 90's), it's unlikely.
  10. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

Dec 9, 2005
  11. steelfist macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2005
    although i find this theory to be irrational and very unlikely to be true, it does not justify rude bashing against other members in the thread.
  12. Harthansen thread starter macrumors member

Jul 17, 2002
    Conspiracy theories asideMoon Landings Aside..

13. Harthansen thread starter macrumors member

Jul 17, 2002
    Conspiracy theories & Moon Landings Aside..

Well I could agree with the fact that my original post does sound like a great big conspiracy theory and something someone who thinks the government faked the moon landings, might write. I completly disagree with the thought the Microsoft wouldn't care to write a Virus for Tiger. While one virus wouldn't have that great of an impact on Apple, it would start to create doubt in Apple's ability to keep OS-X free of viri. Especially if this was only the first step in Microsoft's plan for world domination Bwahahaha (Joke).

I think MS has the most to gain if Apple's OS looks bad. (I would agree the Norton could be a second possibility.) However, MS definately knows Apple's code, and how to copy and manulipate it.

If I were Bill Gates I would be totally freaked out by the prospect that Apple might be considering lauching a generalized version of OS-X (or I'm sorry would you prefer OS X?) that would run on most newer PC's. This would destroy MS stranglehold on the monoply that is Windows, and be a stupid move for Apple NOT to do.

I was not saying that it had to be MS, because it was written poorly, or that it HAD to be MS at all.

1. I was actually saying that it was MS because there was no tame version of this "Virus" No in between step that would show this viruses progression to the ill effect this "Virus" has. (ie. No version that renames all of your MP3's to Yanni or something equally as stupid, like you would find in Window's viruses.) The fact that this virus tried to cause havok with OS-X's application stability, by infecting applications, makes me think it could be MS. Normal hackers release viruses in steps. The start with stupid viruses that do stupid things and then make them more harmful. Theis is because they are so proud of there stupid accomplishments, Glory Hounds of sorts that want to hear about there viruses in the news. (I had an ex who wrote stupid viruses long ago, and there is a whole subculture of people who write these things.)

2. I was only trying to bring up the fact that it was a likely possibility. While by all means you have the right to disagree with me. I completly disagree with anyone who thinks MS would not do something like this, that MS has no reason, or that it is not capable of doing something like this. There is plenty of proof of the evil (yes evil) the MS does on a regular basis.

By the way, I am really not sure what you are trying say here... I work in Video and have been a Mac user since 1997 or 1998, I think I owned the first or second Blue and White G3 PowerMac model. You try editing video on a PC. (Especially in 1998 on Windows 98 or ME)

Ps An evil script = malicious scrip. As the "Virus" did not show a vulerability in Apple security but was only damaging if someone clicked on it.
  14. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2005
    The poor section of Connecticut
  15. theBB macrumors 68020

Jan 3, 2006
    No, Microsoft would not write a trojan. Their "modus operandi" is copying the competitor's program and bundle it free with windows. MS version is probably not as stable or customizable, but it still dries up the sales of the competitors and likely cause bankrupcy. BTW, when is Vista coming out. :)
  16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I'm trying to say that x86 PC users (and the press) often can't get the names right--the way you're doing it.

I'm not saying that individual Microsoft employees wouldn't do it. Over the years, they've done various things to amuse themselves when they were bored, but this kind of thing is so simple, any Linux user could do it. Mac OS X users tend to shy away from shell scripts so I wouldn't think anyone who was a general user would do it.

It would be more likely that someone would introduce problems into Darwin and put it out on some P2P site with the rest of Mac OS X in order to cause problems for Mac users. Considering how many people crave beta code, it would be an easy way to the news.
  17. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Unlikely since no guarantee that users will switch to windows. A better move would to perpetuate problems in Windows and then sell some sort of virus protection at a cost to consumers... oh wait.. :eek:
  18. Harthansen thread starter macrumors member

Jul 17, 2002
    You just gotta love this post... ;) :D
    Alltough I am not saying that MS is doing this to get people to switch. Existing mac users are much too devoted to have this effect thier buying decisions. The general public, however, has the notion in their heads that OS X is imprevoius to viruses, and this would alter that perception, so that if and when Apple releases OS X for PC's that the general public's perception of Mac's would be less then it is now. More of these viruses might keep these people from switching to OS X.

It is very possible that this virus is just some lonely loser way of getting attention, but I don't think MS would take Apple competing with Windows lightly, and it is not beyond them to do evil little things to stop this from hapening. OH Like say no longer selling Internet Explorer for the Mac anymore... but thank Karma & Firefox for steping in and making it right.
    (MS market share for IE is dropping points by the week. Most of which is going to Firefox. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple buying Firefox was a precursor to OS X being sold for PC's. Just so apple has a foot in the PC Internet Browser Market.) Or like no longer selling MS office for Mac's anymore, which would have a much greater impact on business sales. Because noone wants to learn a new program. Again all this is all just speculation, and definately not wishful thinking.
  19. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    Whats weird, is that given the fact that people have to type in their passwords. It could have done ALOT more dammage.
  20. dmetzcher macrumors regular

Nov 26, 2005
    A few things...

I love how you ask the question (did MS write the new worm/trojan?) in your first paragraph, and then, later in your post, you assume it is fact and talk about it as if it were proven.

Also, regardless of what you say about Bill Gates, he is far from evil. He's actually, by most people's standards, a good person. You can trash MS for having their monopoly, but most people don't consider that a moral issue. You can trash them for being Apple's rival, but that's just kiddie BS. Gates has, in fact, done quite a few things in his time that, I'm sure, go far beyond your own contributions to society. If you want to argue that MS is a problem, or that their business practices are illegal or just plain wrong, stick to that. Frankly, he could write worms for the Apple platform, himself, for the rest of his natural life, and he'd still have a positive Karma count that hovers above most other people in this world.

Also, when posting, why don't you stick to one post per topic? I counted at least four different topics in that post, and it sounds more like rambling of several thoughts, like you typed them as they poured from your brain. I hope that Apple releases OS X for generic PCs too, but that's hardly part of the issue for which you created the post.

Oh, and MS didn't create this new worm/trojan. The fact is, the the Mac OS is open to certain attacks, and this is one of them. Frankly, if MS did create this thing, they would have to be ashamed of themselves, not because it's wrong to do such things, but because this thing is pitiful and does little to the end-user other than prove that social engineering, no matter how hard you try to idiot-proof an OS, is always going to be a problem.
  21. toothpaste macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    Conspiracy all the way. USA never landed on the moon either, it was done in a Hollywood studio, located at Area 51. :rolleyes:
  22. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    No. I don't think so.

But, lasthope was definitely Bill Gates. :rolleyes:
  23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Of course they were faked. THERE IS NO MOON! :eek:

I love this line
    I hope every day, that the entire site is satire.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
  25. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003

You have no idea about the computer industry nor can you comment on the different facets without sounding totally ignorant.

you do realize that microsoft makes most of it money from customer support largely from corporation. So unless large corporation want to drop their active directory info structure and re-purchase all their software some which doesn't run on Mac by all means think microsoft put out the virus.