Microsoft hit with 280m euro fine

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNub, Jul 12, 2006.

1. MacNub macrumors newbie

What do you think about the whole EU vs MS thing?
    Btw. this made me laught: "...Microsoft was told to provide rival firms with more information about its software, in order to enable them to write programs that could run more smoothly on Microsoft's widely-used Windows ..."
    I guess providing more information about windows won't be enough ;)

2. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

I think they should hit them and hit them hard. I'm sorry, but I can't help a bit of shadenfreude when things goes wrog for ms. Besides - if they have been ignoring the decision for 2 years the EU has do do something like this if they want to be taken seriously.

A

3. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

While this is a huge sum to pay, it does not really hurt microsoft having a few tens of billions in the bank. If they make business using their "illegal conduct" in the EU for 2 billion a year, then having to pay 1 billion a year still leaves 1 billion in profit. These numbers are only rough guesses, but by repeatedly fining MS by the amounts quoted in the text, they will at least react and try adjust their conduct, which might help some of the compeditors.

4. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Microsoft must now begin to play nice, finally.

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

This is a good beginning and a win-win situation. If Microsoft does play nice after such fines, then great. But if they don't, then EU just fines more and more every time until they do (and make Microsoft make profit for EU in the process).

If EU wanted to "hurt" Microsoft, it would have stated that selling or buying Microsoft's products become illegal until they comply.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

or at least attempt to look as if they are playing nice. this is MS we're talking about.