Microsoft Inaccurately Depicts Windows Tablet as Larger than iPad in New Comparison Ad

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

To go along with two previously released anti-iPad Windows 8 tablet ads, Microsoft has released a side-by-side comparison of the iPad and various Windows 8 tablets, such as the ASUS VivoTab Smart, the same tablet that was used in the aforementioned ad.

[​IMG]
    In the comparison, Microsoft points out the many reasons why the VivoTab is superior, noting its thinner size and lighter weight. Microsoft also includes a diagram of the 9.7-inch iPad next to a 10.1-inch widescreen tablet that looks visibly larger. That image is not to scale, however, as Elliot Temple of Curi.us (via Daring Fireball) details in a blog post.

[​IMG]
    At the end of the comparison, Microsoft clearly states that the ASUS VivoTab Smart has a "bigger touchscreen" than the iPad:
    As noted by Temple, while the ASUS VivoTab Smart has a larger diagonal screen, its display is smaller overall than the display of the iPad, making Microsoft's above statement clearly false. In previous ads, the first of which was released yesterday, Microsoft also touted the lower cost of the VivoTab along with its ability to run Microsoft Office apps.

Article Link: Microsoft Inaccurately Depicts Windows Tablet as Larger than iPad in New Comparison Ad

2. macrumors member

Lol what a fail. How desperate do they have to be to resort to outright lying?

3. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Microsoft's advertising is getting progressively more aggressive and confrontational, not very keen on it at all.

4. golgo1313, May 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2013

macrumors member

5. macrumors 6502

Pretty sure all the women reading this wouldn't care that much...size doesn't matter right? RIGHT?!?!

6. macrumors 68020

applesith

That's really pathetic and misleading.

7. macrumors 68040

Grimace

Cue the lawsuits!

8. macrumors regular

Microsoft what???

9. macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

The focus of the ad is comparing the functionality of the devices, not the size nor appearance.

10. macrumors 65816

TouchMint.com

Looks right on to me :rolleyes:

11. macrumors regular

natd1993

Oh Microsoft.

12. VoR
    macrumors 6502a

If its a blatantly styled side by side comparison in a video/static advert which isn't to scale (which after my 5 second skim of the article and link, it looks like) then that's pretty poor show...

13. macrumors 6502a

do people really care this much to spend that bit of time defending such a petty thing?

14. macrumors 65816

Yeah, and those PC vs Mac commercials were SO accurate. :rolleyes: :) And I so agree with the post right above me.

15. macrumors 6502a

What goes around comes around...
    Remember when Apple used those manipulated images of the Galaxy Tab to make it look more similar to the iPad?

16. macrumors regular

xionxiox

If a company's going to advertise a flaw in another product, at least make it true.

17. macrumors newbie

Desperation.

18. macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

Hello Mr Microsoft/Asus/Store OWner, the product i have bought in good faith has been misrepresented in your advertisment and i would like a full refund, and damages for my wasted time, fuel used, and being made to look like an idiot for beliving ANY advertisement/review without first going and trying the device in hand before purchasing .... :rolleyes:

Wonder how bad the Xbox Vs Playstation adverts are going to be at the end of the year ?? :eek:

19. macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Based off of one direction, the tablet is bigger. They told the truth, just not the whole truth. Apple does it all the time, everyone else does too. Get over it.

20. macrumors 68040

I'd love to see them try airing an advert with this info in the UK. They'd have the ASA so far up their ass they'd be pooping pixels.

----------

Cant happen. MS and Apple have an 'agreement'.

21. macrumors 6502a

Saw the commercial and something stood out to me. They say the ipad needs a special printer to print. Only printer it needs is a wireless printer which the Windows tablet would also need too.

22. macrumors 6502

jmoore5196

Why not lie about size ... they've lied about everything else!

In an ongoing race toward miniaturization, one wonders how being pitched as "larger" is perceived as a benefit.

I carry a MacBook Air when I travel because it's small. I have a compact camera. I'm going to buy an iPad mini. I think the only thing I own which has seen a marked increase in size is my iPhone 5, which is larger than the iPhone 4.

When your only benefit statements focus on size (and a clearly dubious assertion, that!) and cost, your product probably doesn't have much else going for it.

23. macrumors newbie

This article isn't about the video ads though, it's about this page on the Microsoft website. For some reason not linked to in the article

24. 2IS
    macrumors 68030

Microsoft is claiming it's larger, which it is. Not that the diagram is to scale. Get over it.

I'd rather see this sort of advertising from everyone than retarded law suits that Apple is so keen on these days. Both Samsung and MS have ads poking fun of Apple, Apple responds with investing in their lawyers instead of their marketing.

25. macrumors 6502a

All that really matters is that the Windows device is an infinitely better device than the outdated iPad. Time to update that dinosaur of an OS, Apple. Sucks to see Apple's image turn so quickly from hip to old and slow, but they appear to be content with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.