Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Don't blame microsoft

They are simply confused, you see, Windows 8 is a HUGE flop, regardless of which way you cut it (ahead of its time, it's marketing fault, etc..) and they have an identity crisis; they don't know whether to push their own failed product (Surface) or the HW Vendors' failed products with their OS.

Confusion and failure, that's double the trouble

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Did anyone here see the ad before it was changed? Was the ad released then edited or was it edited before it was released?

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
"bigger" is a loose term, so it's not inaccurate. They didn't say "surface area" right?

Since when has bigger ever applied to one dimension? Your grammar is horrible if you use the term bigger to describe relative lengths.

big (bg)
adj. big·ger, big·gest
1. Of considerable size, number, quantity, magnitude, or extent; large.

size 1 (sz)
n.
1. The physical dimensions, proportions, magnitude, or extent of an object.​

If they say bigger, they are referring to the dimensions of the screen. If they were referring to one dimension, they'd say longer.

As an aside, the term has already been scrubbed from their site, so they agree it was wrong. I don't know why anyone would argue it was right. Personally, I suspect it was an honest mistake. They simply looked at the diagonal length and assumed it was bigger, like most of us would.

Last edited:

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Maybe it just feels bigger because the Windows 8 experience is that much more awesome.

:rolleyes:

haplain

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Duh

If you can't sell em, lie... right? Always a good marketing strategy :eek:

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
Yeah, and those PC vs Mac commercials were SO accurate. :rolleyes: :) And I so agree with the post right above me.

What was inaccurate about the "Mac vs PC" ads? Right after I switched from Windows to Mac, I saw those ads and knew exactly what they were talking about.

Stupid viruses all over my VAIO.

----------

Wow, this is even worse than that one they put telling people not to buy Macs because of various reasons such as "you have to manually enable photo sharing" and "the mouse works differently".

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Commercials usually lie\manipulate reality....

Need I say more?

Bottom line, iOS is stale, and other competitors are going to jump on it. Sorry, this isn't 2008, "it just works" doesn't cut it anymore, because it doesn't just work (for what people want to do) anymore, so Apple can either get to it and innovate, or continue the course and stagnate. Personally I've been loyal to Apple for years, but I'm sick of the garbage iOS, garbage hardware on my iPhone, and iPad. If they don't get it right in the next version\model, I'm jumping ship to Android like many have done. Yeah Android isn't as clean, but it's a helluva lot more modern.

Last edited by a moderator:

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Sense when has bigger ever applied to one dimension? Your grammar is horrible if you use the term bigger to describe relative lengths.

big (bg)
adj. big·ger, big·gest
1. Of considerable size, number, quantity, magnitude, or extent; large.

size 1 (sz)
n.
1. The physical dimensions, proportions, magnitude, or extent of an object.​

If they say bigger, they are referring to the dimensions of the screen. If they were referring to one dimension, they'd say longer.

As an aside, the term has already been scrubbed from their site, so they agree it was wrong. I don't know why anyone would argue it was right. Personally, I suspect it was an honest mistake. They simply looked at the diagonal length and assumed it was bigger, like most of us would.

I didn't say it was right, I said it wasn't wrong. Before you get your feelings hurt and criticize grammar, at least try to understand it first. ;)

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I don't understand Microsoft's reasoning for saying that the ViviTab can use MS Office, it's like Apple saying that Windows can't run iWork

If iWork was the global standard in productivity suite and used by 99% of employees who use a computer at work, I'd say your argument would hold some water.... but it's not, so it doesn't.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I don't understand Microsoft's reasoning for saying that the ViviTab can use MS Office, it's like Apple saying that Windows can't run iWork

Perhaps Office is a bit more popular and would be something that people would chose over iWork.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
I didn't say it was right, I said it wasn't wrong. Before you get your feelings hurt and criticize grammar, at least try to understand it first. ;)

The screen is smaller, not bigger. Therefore saying it's bigger is, in fact, wrong.

Edit: Grammar in previous post fixed, didn't change my point. Instead of criticizing other people's grammar, why not try to make a valid point yourself?

Last edited:

Gidiyup

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
Texas
I should click on the Facebook and Twitter button at the bottom of the ad and tell tweet out that this is false advertising!

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

To go along with two previously released anti-iPad Windows 8 tablet ads, Microsoft has released a side-by-side comparison of the iPad and various Windows 8 tablets, such as the ASUS VivoTab Smart, the same tablet that was used in the aforementioned ad.

In the comparison, Microsoft points out the many reasons why the VivoTab is superior, noting its thinner size and lighter weight. Microsoft also includes a diagram of the 9.7-inch iPad next to a 10.1-inch widescreen tablet that looks visibly larger. That image is not to scale, however, as Elliot Temple of Curi.us (via Daring Fireball) details in a blog post.

At the end of the comparison, Microsoft clearly states that the ASUS VivoTab Smart has a "bigger touchscreen" than the iPad:As noted by Temple, while the ASUS VivoTab Smart has a larger diagonal screen, its display is smaller overall than the display of the iPad, making Microsoft's above statement clearly false. In previous ads, the first of which was released yesterday, Microsoft also touted the lower cost of the VivoTab along with its ability to run Microsoft Office apps.

Article Link: Microsoft Inaccurately Depicts Windows Tablet as Larger than iPad in New Comparison Ad

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
The focus of the ad is comparing the functionality of the devices, not the size nor appearance.

There's that nagging part where Microsoft's web page says the screen on the Asus is larger coupled with the screen being pictured at 36% larger. Both those things need to change. Tablets need to be shown at scale and they need to strike the text about the screen being larger.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
10.1" is bigger than 9.7" there for saying it's bigger is in fact, not wrong.

So if you have a widescreen 16:9 monitor that's 27 inches (diagonal), do you think it's larger than a standard 3:4 that's 27 inches diagonal? If so, you need to go back to 5th grade geometry class.

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013
Lol what a fail. How desperate do they have to be to resort to outright lying?

I would not calling it lieing but a stupid mistake. Chances are the person who did it was in autopilot mode and forgot that the iPad has an a difference screen ratio than everyone else.

So you crunch the numbers if they had the same ratio of 16:9 and it would be right.

it was a completely honest but stupid mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.