Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by descartes92, Sep 2, 2005.

1. descartes92 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Does anyone know whether the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer Bluetooth works with a Mac? I've seen it in a shop, and the box only mentions Windows XP compatibility.

Thanks for your replies.

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I was looking at that one as well since it fits my hand very nice and since I have BT why not use it ;)
    I was thinking of sending an email to MS and see what type of answer they will give me, let ya know what happens if someone else doesn't answer.

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Yes they do work, although only the left and right clicks. Scroll wheel is not supported in Safari, although after reading some interesting stuff about the Mighty Mouse software it may work.

I also have one I would sell very cheap if your interested.

4. hcorf macrumors newbie

ermm........what are you on about, i bought one yesterday, the scroll wheel and everything works fine, took me about 30 secs to set up and you can assign all the buttons to expose/dashboard etc.......i am talking about the newest one with the tilt wheel (works as it should), maybe youre not, or are you running os9 or something?

5. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

I have the mouse too and am using it right now with my Powerbook alongside the Mac bluetooth keyboard without any problems at all, the tilt wheel side scrolls, the scroll wheel works as normal, clicking the wheel opens links in new tabs and the two side buttons I have mapped to expose functions, all in all works perfectly, I don't know why the other poster would be having problems.

6. mpw Guest

I've had mine with my 700Mhz G3 iBook and like you have the scroll wheel click set to Dashboard and the thumb buttons to Exposé.

Is the other poster using it with a dongle I wonder? The only time I had any problems was when using it with the MS BT dongle that it came wit! It was fine with a D-Link or Belkin dongle and with the internal BT of my iMac but I had problems with the OEM dongle, it was much slower in connecting to the mouse on set-up and, unlike the other brands, wouldn't work from the keyboard USB's.

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Sorry, screwed up.

Scrolling works just fine, just never could get the "Forward" & "Back" buttons to work in Safari. New it was something... sorry for the screw up. Its been over a year since I used that mouse. Memory is fading.

8. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

I've got one but the tilt wheel doesn't side scroll. Is this because I'm using10.3.9, or does the tilt wheel only work with a few particular apps that allow the mouse buttons to be mapped?
    I've never bothered mapping any of the buttons because I had assumed that without a specific MS driver for the Mac only the basic left/right/scroll would work.

9. wide macrumors 6502a

i have it, works fine although the side buttons do not function. no matter, i hope usb overdrive for bluetooth will fix that...

i ordered mine on ebay, and on the back it says "Model:1001". it's supposed to be the new one, and it does have the tilt wheel. anyone know if this is the new model? did the old ones have tilt wheels?

10. mpw Guest

The tilt wheel on mine doesn't side scroll but the side buttons are mapped to control Exposé ‘all windows’ and ‘desktop’ and clicking the scroll wheel brings up Dashboard. Left & right buttons perform their normal duties.

11. Sporty G macrumors member

I have the original MS Bluetooth mouse... on my G5 and on my friends Powerbook the cursor skips and hops all over the screen, rendering the mouse completely useless.

12. mpw Guest

? What surface?

13. Sporty G macrumors member

We tried on a variety of surfaces, including dedicated mouse mats but found the mouse to simply underperform when paired to a Mac (under Panther AND Tiger).

14. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Does MS's BT mouse have on/off switch?

Do those BT mice (MS, Kensignton, Targus) have on/off switch? I think those on/off switch is important for PB/iBook as you don't want to wake up the computer because the BT mouse cannot be shut off while it is in the bag. My Logitech MX900 BT does not have a switch; which does not make it suitable to bring it with me on the road. I end up with a RF based (one of those RF signal USB dongle) for my mobile use.

15. mpw Guest

No.

Odd. I've used my MS BT mouse under Jaguar/Panther/Tiger on iBook with 3 different dongles, iMac with BTO option and on a Wintel box with two of the dongles and never had any tracking problems. It's been used on woodgrain desktops, carpet, mouse mats and even on my jeans when I'm being ultra lazy with little difference in performance.
    It is slightly hesitant when you go to use it after a couple of minutes rest but only for a couple of seconds at most.