Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I think this will be a good device for some. I think it's silly that they bother with a touchscreen, but there are a limited few that will find it useful.

Road warriors will probably find this the most useful. For me, my iMac and iPad fill my needs quite nicely. I wouldn't buy this from Apple or anybody else because I don't need a laptop, and it's too big for a tablet.

Some will look at the weight vs. screen size as a nice way to go. Other will not. In the end, I think this device will sell better than its predecessors, but it won't sell well.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I really hope Apple decides to give up its anti-stylus stance. There is a reason we still use pens and not finger paint. The bluetooth ones are getting better, but they just don't compare to an actual digitizer in terms of accuracy.

That is pretty much the one thing I want on the iPad, accurate pen input.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
In my view the hardware seems great, the software, now that's another question.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009

Source:
http://www.zdnet.com/surface-pro-ve...eing-dishonest-with-storage-space-7000011009/

No bloatware will be coming with this, not that we know of. Half the processor?

13" MBA with i5 and 128gb storage? 999$.
12" Surface Pro 3 with 128gb storage? 999$ Keyboard? Likely about 100-130$. You got me on the price point.

The upside has to do with the fact that this is meant to replace both your laptop and tablet. It might not be for you, but don't pretend it isn't for anyone.

Ah, and you conveniently neglect the base model runs an i3 processor. The price point and the spec point is the sticking area for me :p And like I said before, with the TypeCover it weighs the same as a MBA anyway.

I'm not pretending it's not for anyone, just injecting a little reality into the situation.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
And in what way is this Apple related exactly?

Macrumors, news and rumors you care about.

It's competition, that's how. It's a product that aims to compete with Apple's and may influence the choices Apple makes with future products.

theROZ

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2004
Why don't they just include the damn cover??

If they really wanted to make a dent in the market they would include the stupid keyboard cover that most likely costs $5 to manufacture. All this bs about caring about their customers could actually make a dent.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Ah, and you conveniently neglect the base model runs an i3 processor. The price point and the spec point is the sticking area for me :p And like I said before, with the TypeCover it weighs the same as a MBA anyway.

I'm not pretending it's not for anyone, just injecting a little reality into the situation.

Yes, and the base model is still bigger than a 11" MBA, so the base model would be cheaper than the 13" MBA even with the keyboard. So I suppose that it is about what you want.

Who buys the base computer around here anyway?

Also, injecting reality? No, you're really just telling everyone here what they know. Few people here will like something like this, it doesn't have an apple with a bite taken out of it.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
What about screen resolution? Not sure if i5 - i7 in SP3 is Quad Core or Dual Core but in MacBook Air, it is dual core.

not sure. but doesn't really matter to me. I prefer OS X to Windows, so that's where it stops for me. Plus, I have no desire to own a laptop/tablet combo... so far. The tech isn't there yet in my opinion.

I will say that the hardware of this looks phenomenal and it's nice to see the high res (right way to describe?) touch screen digitizer in there.

Last edited:

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro I use for work. It's "ok", but using Windows in a touch/tablet environment is so clunky and awkward. Makes it so apparently how well thought-out iOS was by comparison.

This may on paper look like the best of both worlds of an iPad and MacBook Air, but if the experience is crappy, I'll still pass.

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
Quit comparing the $799 model to a MacBook Air when it does not include the keyboard! MS has continuously been misleading with that fact. With keyboard the surface is $929 which is more then the 13" MacBook Air.

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
I've always liked the idea behind the Surface: a consumption and work device in one package. The one problem: it runs Windows. I don't think twice paying +$1000 for an OS X machine. However, paying that much for something running Windows. Ugh.

Anyhow, I hope the Surface catches on this time. Apple seriously needs some competition. They're getting arrogant.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Quit comparing the $799 model to a MacBook Air when it does not include the keyboard! MS has continuously been misleading with that fact. With keyboard the surface is $929 which is more then the 13" MacBook Air.

You should go to the Apple Online Store.

13-inch : 128GB
Specifications
1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
Intel HD Graphics 5000
4GB memory
128GB PCIe-based flash storage1
$999.00
Free Shipping
6, 12, or 18 month
special financing
Available to ship:
Within 24 hours
Select
Available for pickup:

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
No Comparison with MBA

Before people say the iPad Air starts at $499, the S3 is not meant to compete with it. The S3 is basically a full fledged laptop in tablet form. It targets more of the MacBook Air. So, that's why its $799 and not a lot cheaper.

It's not cheaper at all. You can get an 11" MBA for $899 with a Core i5 process and 128 GB and that includes a keyboard. So let's see... much faster processor, twice the storage space and a keyboard that can actually use as a laptop.

To do the same with the Surface 3, you'd need to upgrade to the Core i5 with 128 GB which is $999 and THEN add a keyboard to it making it an extra $130.

So there's no value proposition here other than you can have half a laptop with a terrible operating system for more than $200 than a MBA. Are they trying to kill themselves?

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Laplet, I may call it and this convergence devices are going to compete against each other. iPad Air Pro, Note Pro, Surface Pro 3. I feel at this point, Surface Pro 3 seems to be the best in the competition.

Keep in mind, only 2 of those 3 exist currently.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I still don't see how this is a compelling tablet. It's not something I'd want to curl up on the couch with and read a book on. It's not something I'd easily slip into my purse or backpack if I was going out somewhere. It may be a really nice laptop (and it seems Microsoft is going after the MBA) but I don't see it as a tablet. I mean look at all Microsoft press shots....they show it with the kickstand out and the keyboard cover attached. I see this as Microsoft's version of a laptop with touchscreen. And I see it mostly taking share from other Windows OEMs.

Surface Pro has always been the 'laptop replacement device'.

Surface RT has been the iPad replacement device

Microsoft messed up big time by branding them the same name... so confusing...

That said, this is actually pretty cool

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
We don't know, but the cover would have to be pretty heavy for a cover to make it heavier than the 13"M MBA.

According to Microsoft the Surface Pro 3 weighs 800 grams which is about 1.76 pounds. The type cover 2 weighs .55 pounds. So it's about the same weight as the 11.8" MBA (2.38 pounds) and lighter than the 13" Air (2.96 pounds). Also according to Ars Technica the battery life is 9 hours. That's the same as the 11.8" Air and less than the 13"Air (12 hours). Considering the Air has what I would consider a real keyboard and trackpad I'll take the slightly heavier weight.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
You should go to the Apple Online Store.

13-inch : 128GB
Specifications
1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
Intel HD Graphics 5000
4GB memory
128GB PCIe-based flash storage1
$999.00
Free Shipping
6, 12, or 18 month
special financing
Available to ship:
Within 24 hours
Select
Available for pickup:

maybe he gets a discount? I get 9% off Apple.com purchases, so a $999 macbook air would be cheaper for me ;)

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
A good enough step to push the competition

IMO:

Pros:
- Docking stations: Yes. Leave the external display, keyboards and mice at home and/or work... Keep everything minimal for on the go. I want my on the go "brains" to be iPad mini sized and fit in my cargo pants pocket.
- new aspect ratio: nexus soon to follow?
- I'd think using one note on one of these will continue to evolve to be a killer app for ms and office. apple should buy evernote and fix it.

Cons:
- too heavy to use one-handed with a stylus
- kickstands: No way I can't fit kickstand, tablet, and keyboard in my lap in a coach seat.
- size: I'm thinking tablets might go away over time in favor of phablets. A 12 inch laptop or tablet needs a computer bag.
- size2: Do you need a huge screen on a tablet? Maybe doctors looking at Xrays, Graphic Artists... But web surfers, book readers and emailers? No
- i7 in a tablet: How hot does it get? this might be better suited for 14nm broadwell chips

gfreeze

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Think the Surface Pro's are fantastic tablets. I own the first generation. Fantastic for artists and productivity and some light gaming too.

The 3 looks absolutely fantastic especially for what I need to be able to do on a machine. (3D modelling, sculpting and photoshop work)

Its a shame that most people hate on them just because its made by Microsoft. Some people need to mature a bit I guess.

Out of all the companies at the moment I see Microsoft really pushing for alternative ways to do things.

I also own an iMac, iPhone, iPad, Macbook Air, Macbook Pro and I think their great devices too and OSX is second to none however for what I need out of a machine and some of the programs I use only running in windows (3DS Max) the Surface Pro is perfect.

(Yes I know about bootcamp, I use it) but carrying a small lightweight tablet thats basically a powerful PC to do things like sculpt in 3D on the go is amazing to me.

I am the same - you will not find a bigger Apple evangelizer than me - I have a MBA, MBP, iPads Air and Mini, and more iPods than I can count - and Newtons, and iBooks, and Powerbooks...and I could go on and on. I count on Apple products for personal and professional use literally daily.

However...I picked up a first generation Surface with the full keyboard for under $200. Not only does it make what I considered a monstrosity, Windows 8, "make sense" for the first time, but it is an incredibly versatile laptop replacement that is not much bigger than an iPad and doesn't have all of the drawbacks of netbooks.

I have a second job teaching online, and it is so great to have a tablet-sized device that I can plug a mouse into and grade papers with a full version of Office. The iPad version of Office can't touch what the full one on the Surface does.

Even the v.1 Surface is an incredibly well-built device, and it appears that Microsoft finally gets it - controlling the software and the hardware makes for a compelling product. I dare say that most of you bad-mouthing it have never used one.

There is no way it replaces my MacBooks - and I love both of my iPads and update them yearly. However, the Surface is a really nice device; Microsoft has put out so much crap for the past two decades, let's give them a break when they actually get something right. It doesn't have to be an "either / or" world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.